Davey Jones Locker

geocoinclub

got mine today, too! thanks for the excellent service!

by the way...you have the spelling incorrect on the title of this thread. i believe it should be "davy" and not "davey". the icon at geocaching,com shows the official name as "davy jones locker geocoin". "davy" is the correct spelling according to wikipedia as well. so you might want to edit the item description at the "Geocoin Store" too. just a suggestion. :)

I really like the design too :) I think 3D under translucent given the right design looks sharp.

tsun

Agree with TSUN....love the clean design......NICE!!!! ...order is in..these wont last long :)

Got ours... they are really stunning.. we can't believe they did not sell out already!!!

i guess these are now "sold out". :blink:

I was hoping they were not but that is the way it looks.

I heard that they were making more!

Believe it or not, someone came in yesterday and bougth the last 50 pcs we had in stock. So sorry VG, we are currently out of stock.

But Ms. Joni is correct. I've heard reports that Davy Jones Locker Silver Blue has been seen rising from the depths :laughing:

I've heard reports that Davy Jones Locker Silver Blue has been seen rising from the depths :laughing:

Silver Blues should be nice! are they going to be Shiny, Antique, or Satin Silver finish?! i guess the standard mint time applies to the 2nd edition, right? 3 to 4 weeks? sweeeeet! :blink:

Sweet! Now I'll have to have another one! I just love this coin!

I've heard reports that Davy Jones Locker Silver Blue has been seen rising from the depths :blink:

Silver Blues should be nice! are they going to be Shiny, Antique, or Satin Silver finish?! i guess the standard mint time applies to the 2nd edition, right? 3 to 4 weeks? sweeeeet! ;)

Today's order recap says they arrive May 14th. But I never hang my hat on that. And I guess we'll both find out on that day what silver it is. Since I didn't put in the order. I just *heard* about it :laughing:

TMA

I've heard reports that Davy Jones Locker Silver Blue has been seen rising from the depths :P

Silver Blues should be nice! are they going to be Shiny, Antique, or Satin Silver finish?! i guess the standard mint time applies to the 2nd edition, right? 3 to 4 weeks? sweeeeet! :D

Today's order recap says they arrive May 14th. But I never hang my hat on that. And I guess we'll both find out on that day what silver it is. Since I didn't put in the order. I just *heard* about it ;)

TMA

so...the 3 to 4 week time frame is a decent "guess-timate", unless there is a huge volcano eruption in the Pacific Islands, right?! :lol: i'm looking forward to the "Long Jong Silver" edition! maybe there is a "Blackbeard" or a "Captain Kidd" or maybe a "Captain Jack" edition in the works, too?! or what about a "Pink" or "Rose" colored version for "Mary Read" or "Lady Killigrew", both famous female pirates! :blink:

sorry, my imagination for geocoins sometimes runs away with me! :laughing:

Mine came in today... Thanks. They look really nice.... Wonder how they got through without the "trackable at" inscription. Great looking coin for the price... I love the 3d feel to them.

i hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it...you're right! i guess the web address: "www.geocaching.com" is also an acceptable identifier. it seems like a given, but perhaps the geocoin tracking policy should be updated to include the full web address as an approved option along with: "track at (on) geocaching.com" or "trackable at (on) geocaching.com". i guess its really a rather small detail, and the bottom line is, the item is identified as being affiliated with the geocaching web site. :laughing:

Mine came in today... Thanks. They look really nice.... Wonder how they got through without the "trackable at" inscription. Great looking coin for the price... I love the 3d feel to them.

i hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it...you're right! i guess the web address: "www.geocaching.com" is also an acceptable identifier. it seems like a given, but perhaps the geocoin tracking policy should be updated to include the full web address as an approved option along with: "track at (on) geocaching.com" or "trackable at (on) geocaching.com". i guess its really a rather small detail, and the bottom line is, the item is identified as being affiliated with the geocaching web site. :laughing:

I know that it is easily identifiable as a geocoin. Just wondering why/how it got passed security :blink: . Either way, these are great looking. Plus.... anything is better looking when bought with OV $ from march madness ;) Lol.... just playin' with ya. I promise that is the last time that I will bring it up.

You should put a limit per customer caveat. Having one person buy them all seems to ruin the spirit of something like this. Just my two cents (or two coins ... lol).

Why buy 50? Is it for resale? Just curious, because I am new to the geocoin phenomenon (and geocaching in general).

You should put a limit per customer caveat. Having one person buy them all seems to ruin the spirit of something like this. Just my two cents (or two coins ... lol).

i can sympathize with your comments. for the person that collects one or two geocoins of a certain design, it must be rather frustrating to go to the website to make a purchase, only to find the item has "sold out" in minutes.

on the other hand, the geocoin distributor is taking a chance on every design they pay to produce. not all designs are popular, and they just never know which ones will be a super seller. so, very often, distributors are left holding thousands of dollars worth of geocoins that DO NOT SELL. it is also a difficult decision to produce a higher quantity of geocoins to reduce the cost and make more of them available to collectors, since this will also reduce their "collectible value" with higher mint numbers. this is something to take into account with any collectible item, and an issue that most casual collectors do not even think about. geocoin websites could place a "limit" on how many geocoins are purchased from the same address or buyer, but as we have seen with the re-sale of concert and event tickets, there are ways around this "limit". so, there really is no easy solution. although it doesn't seem fair, the bottom line for now is that it basically comes down to "being in the right place at the right time" to find a bargain, otherwise, the sale price will be "what ever the market will bear".

this is still a relatively "new" hobby, and as such, there are no written rules. with all things that become popular and profitable, there will be a "bad element" that gets involved in an effort to make an easy profit by any means possible. i hope this element does not "kill" the hobby for those that truly LOVE creating, designing, collecting, and distributing these great little metal works of art we call "geocoins"! peace. :anibad:

Thanks Odyssey, that actually occurred to me after I posted (that it could be a 'stuck with inventory'issue). I've done some research on making a coin and it can be a significant investment.

I did do a search on Ebay since I originally posted and saw that three of these Davy Jone's ones are up for sale in the 20-25$ range (and still bidding). That type of thing is what I was referring to regarding the 'spirit' of it for me. It was funny reading the Ebay description ... Rare, out of stock. Makes it sound like an antique rather than a 3 week old coin ... lol. And it is only out of stock because you bought them all :anibad:

I do not mean to start any type of flame thing here, to each their own. We all enjoy things different ways ... that's what makes the world an interesting place.

Thanks Odyssey, that actually occurred to me after I posted (that it could be a 'stuck with inventory'issue). I've done some research on making a coin and it can be a significant investment.

I did do a search on Ebay since I originally posted and saw that three of these Davy Jone's ones are up for sale in the 20-25$ range (and still bidding). That type of thing is what I was referring to regarding the 'spirit' of it for me. It was funny reading the Ebay description ... Rare, out of stock. Makes it sound like an antique rather than a 3 week old coin ... lol. And it is only out of stock because you bought them all :anibad:

I do not mean to start any type of flame thing here, to each their own. We all enjoy things different ways ... that's what makes the world an interesting place.

We routinely see coins come up for sale on e-bay within a few days of being announced here or elsewhere.

I did do a search on Ebay since I originally posted and saw that three of these Davy Jone's ones are up for sale in the 20-25$ range (and still bidding). That type of thing is what I was referring to regarding the 'spirit' of it for me. It was funny reading the Ebay description ... Rare, out of stock. Makes it sound like an antique rather than a 3 week old coin ... lol. And it is only out of stock because you bought them all :D

some advice for you:

(1.) if you have a geocoin produced, you will get a better perspective of what is involved with designing, producing, stocking, trading, selling, shipping and even "gifting" a geocoin (which many geocoin collectors here do...myself included). then, with your own geocoin, you will have something of value (lesser, equal, or greater) to trade with others for the geocoins you like.

(2.) with option number 1 in mind, you should consider offering to trade, or buy a Davy Jones Geocoin here at the forums, rather than criticize the descriptions of the "auctions" on ebay, or the "auctions" themselves. as i mentioned before, an auction price is relative to what the market will bear, NOT what you or i think the item is worth or what it originally sold for. if an auction item is described as "out of stock" at the distributors website, this is information someone interested in bidding on an item might want to know, and its not always an attempt to hype an item.

(3.) as it so happens, i would rather light a candle than curse your darkness, and i have a Davy Jones Geocoin available just for you, so email or PM me and make me an offer on it. i can tell that you are someone that does research and you should be rewarded for the effort, even if only to keep the "spirit" of geocoins alive in you! if there were more people like you, there would not be a need for mint companies to worry about being stuck with unsold stock inventory.

the ball is in your court now. peace. B)

EDIT TO ADD: by the way, i purchased a few extra Davy Jones Geocoins, but i wasn't the person who bought the 50 remaining geocoins...i don't have that kind of money to spend, otherwise i would just produce another geocoin of my own! :anibad:

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

Rather light a candle than curse my darkness, wow? It wasn't my intention to be 'dark' ... chalk it up to newbie naivete. I truly find the dynamics facinating, and I thought the Ebay thing may be news. Seems funny to me to have something 'rare' and 'collectible' (even if it is technically true) that is only a month old, that's all. But you are right, it is the law of supply and demand and it will probably always be that way. Don't judge me for not knowing how the game is played. My curiosity has gotten me in trouble more than once ... you think I would learn. If something had doubled or tripled in value in such a short time, it is too bad that the artist that created isn't realizing that value. But I also know the danger of stock languishing on the shelves too. It is these processes I find it intriguing, that's all.

I am really more interested in the creation of a coin myself, so I thank you for posting some info on that. I have visited all the coin creation and minting sites I can find. I've downloaded templates and read all I can find on the process. Photoshop has been one of my foremost hobbies for years, so the creation of something that could eventually flow through the caches of the world and be seen by so many excites me more than the idea of collecting. I am curious about one term you used ... gifting? I figure it can be one of two things, either literally giving them as gifts or seeding them as FTF prizes or just placing unactivated ones into caches for people to find. I think this would be the way I would go because even though I have designed websites I just don't have the time to set up a commerce page, not to mention having to organize and ship stuff ... and maybe have to deal with packages that didn't arrive, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the offer but that wasn't what I was getting at ... so no worries. I did order a set of coins recently (my first ever) and am waiting for them to arrive. My intention was to send them out into the world but now I wonder if the urge will hit me. My wife is cringing already :ph34r:

Peace back atcha.

Rather light a candle than curse my darkness, wow? It wasn't my intention to be 'dark' ... chalk it up to newbie naivete.

all i meant by this phrase was that since you didn't get a chance to purchase a Davy Jones Geocoin at the store, i would make one available to you. it is just a figure of speech, and i wasn't refering to your comments. we all have opinions and you are more than welcome to express yours. although your comments might be more appropriate in a new thread that addresses your concerns. since this exchange has already gone off topic, i'll let it rest. so good luck with the new hobby and with your interest in learning more. peace. :ph34r:

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

all i meant by this phrase was that since you didn't get a chance to purchase a Davy Jones Geocoin at the store, i would make one available to you.

Since Bluesbro does not seem to be interested, would it be possible that I could buy one of the coins from you? I totally missed the beginning of selling and when I realized it the coins were already sold out :ph34r:

Edited by sterni2009

all i meant by this phrase was that since you didn't get a chance to purchase a Davy Jones Geocoin at the store, i would make one available to you.

Since Bluesbro does not seem to be interested, would it be possible that I could buy one of the coins from you? I totally missed the beginning of selling and when I realized it the coins were already sold out :ph34r:

sure! just PM or email me with an offer.

... You should put a limit per customer caveat ... Having one person buy them all seems to ruin the spirit of something like this ... Why buy 50? Is it for resale? ... I did do a search on Ebay since I originally posted and saw three of these in the 20-25$ range (and still bidding). It was funny reading the Ebay description Rare, out of stock. Makes it sound like an antique rather than a 3 week old coin ... lol ... And it is only out of stock because you bought them all ... I truly find the dynamics facinating ...

... very often, distributors are left holding thousands of dollars worth of geocoins that DO NOT SELL. it is also a difficult decision to produce a higher quantity of geocoins to reduce the cost and make more of them available to collectors, since this will also reduce their "collectible value" with higher mint numbers ...

For once I am glad to see a remint; what with that guy buying the last 50 of the original minting. The website didn't say it was an LE or list minting numbers for that version so he ended up buying a stack of REs. Likely he will continue selling them for high $$$ as a lot of ebayers don't check the stores or this forum. He'll eventually recoup his outlay but thanks to the remint that will take awhile. I hope he will learn from the experience but he'll probably just learn to pay more attention to the description. For that reason; if the upcoming silver is to be an LE then I hope the website puts a limit on the number that can be ordered per person so he doesn't buy up all of those.

As a collector it is nice to see an RE become an LE when there is no remint but its good to know that the folks who missed out first time now have the opportunity to get one. If there is no third minting the coin will become an LE anyway. Sure, there is going to be a couple of hundred more out there but in the coming years this coin should be worth more than the store price (unless its continually reminted).

While on the topic of collecting geocoins; I note some folks put down the pre-order system because of the risk involved with some small time vendors taking the money and running but at least the system allows everyone who wants to purchase a particular RE to get one as they are given a couple of weeks to place their order. The pre-order system stops the muppets who seek to corner the market as there is only a time limit. Newb collectors would be wise to pay special attention to those sites that offer pre-order REs and don't remint as those REs naturally become limited in their number once the order period has finished. There may be couple hundred of an RE compared to an LE (a pre-determined number) but that is still a small amount compared to limited editions in other collector markets that number in the thousands. Vendors that offer pre-orders win as well as they only mint the number wanted so have no inventory issues and if a coin is really popular feel less pressure to do a remint as they gave their customers a couple of weeks to place their orders. If it wasn't for a few small time vendors that ripped others off (and arn't around anymore) the pre-order system would probably be universally adopted by now.

Edited by haysonics

I've heard reports that Davy Jones Locker Silver Blue has been seen rising from the depths :)

Silver Blues should be nice! are they going to be Shiny, Antique, or Satin Silver finish?! i guess the standard mint time applies to the 2nd edition, right? 3 to 4 weeks? sweeeeet! :D

Today's order recap says they arrive May 14th. But I never hang my hat on that. And I guess we'll both find out on that day what silver it is. Since I didn't put in the order. I just *heard* about it ;)

TMA

Viola :D Buy them HERE

product1.jpg

product2.jpg