What Benchmarks are you drooling over?

Tacguy

Now that alot of the East Coast is covered in snow and benchmarking is gaining more attention, I was wondering what Benchmarks you have discovered in your reseacrh that you can't wait to get to. Share some of them with us.

I know I am dreaming of GT1811, the highest point in the Continental U.S. on top of Mt. Whitney , Califronia (and just look at all those nearby reference points!)

It is the highest listed mark in the lower U.S.

The actual elevation of the summit is up for dispute (history lesson to follow). The summit sign placed in 1930 at the completion of the "john Muir Trail" placed the elevation at 14,496.811, however the most recent USGS 7.5 minute map places it at 14,490.97. The Benchmark description says Altitude: 14505ft.

Here it is ... the actual highest of all U.S. points: TT6475. It actually does not have an actual Benchmark on site, only observed, and from the description it is not located on the highest point. It wouldn't be fun to be searching for Benchmarks in this area; there isn't a single one in a ten mile radius. The closest Cache is 61 miles away. McKinley Bench

YEAH BABY! icon_cool.gif

Now, no claiming it just because you can "observe it" icon_biggrin.gif Hey, Wait a minute, I guess that would qualify as a find!

Dad and I found a Benchmark as I call it several years ago in Northern New Mexico near Lindreth,A Large stone, With Spaniards Names carved in it on an Ancient Trail North to Chama New Mexico From Spain.There are also names/dates of the 1800's and 1984.I would love to document this if only for historic Interst. Most of the Things I found are still not documented to date.There are pictographs/cave paintings/artifacts of the ANASAZI(ANCIENT ONE'S) that will blow your mind!!!! they represent the current as well as the future events, some I did not Know the meanings of till here lately.. Also the Historical Significance.

When all else fails Geotry again.

I just recived a GPS for Christmas and was looking for something neat for me and my 16 YO daughter to do with it. I ran across this site and then stumbled over to the Benchmarks.

I think the benchmarks are more interesting to me in a historical way. I have 2 that I am drooling over to go find one has a better chance than the other.

First is Benchmark DH0951 In JEFFERSON county, AL Last found in 1947 by CGS (MONUMENTED)

The second is kind of a long story. I work on and oil production platform in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast on SW La. I am trying to figure out a way to get the helicopter to stop an let me get out end document this one!!! PHILLIPS DA DERRICK Last noted in 1955 by the USCG.

As a side note how do you search farther than 10 miles?

MICP

quote:
Originally posted by MICP:

The second is kind of a long story. I work on and oil production platform in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast on SW La. I am trying to figure out a way to get the helicopter to stop an let me get out end document this one!!! http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=AV0804 Last noted in 1955 by the USCG.

MICP

Since the mark is a DERRICK (really big marker) you could probably document with a picture in a fly-by. The hard part will be figuring out where that derrick was on April 7, 1955 and further if the derrick is the same one as existed in 1955! Sounds like a fun log!

Rog posted this because it is listed as being on a Shipwreck off the Coast of Santa Barbara, Ca. on the coast of an island in the Channel Islands. Probably not still there since it has been about 70 years, but I am going to sail out their with a friend and have him bring Scuba Gear! Wreck

www.plimoth.org/Library/plymrock.htm On the Derek the Natural Gas or Crude oil Well Head should be marked at that point as well,especially for navigational purposes,you will just have to find out which well head.That was its purpose to drill a hole.So if the point still exists and can been seen and documented,you can get the GPS readings from the Pilot.

When all else fails Geotry again.

It's a new mark up in Sedona Az.

I guess you have to know the area to _get the joke_

I imagine that the next mark will be

"xtlcrnchr"

icon_biggrin.gif

Has not made it into the Groundspeak database as yet ..

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00244% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

quote:
Originally posted by Tacguy:

" ALUMINUM TABLET, IN VOLCANIC ROCK. "

Too bad you didn't have the info to log this one, I would like to see an aluminum tablet! icon_cool.gif

I have not seen a description of this before; an aluminum rod, yes, a TABLET? Cool!

An aluminum tablet is another term for a Survey Disk. Its what they called them in the old days at USGS. Seen many of them in the past.

quote:
Originally posted by DXChaser2003:

Several near me on water tanks....I'm sure some people will go for the climb!

Not really. The benchmark is the water tank itself. Many "benchmarks" are reference points (like radio towers).

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™