New to GeoCaching & Stumbled on Marker

Alphabet Soup

My wife and I just started GeoCaching, last night in fact. On our first cache we stumbled upon an official benchmark.

Here is the problem, I have no idea where to start in trying to identify it. There are marks on it and the statement about a $250 fine or imprisonment.

I took a digital photo figuring I would just come home and it would be easy to log, but alas my general inexperience seems to be getting in the way. I'd like to mark that I've found it. Any suggestions? I've posted a pic on our website (Marker) if anyone cares to look at it and comment I would be very appreciative.

It looks like an Army Corps of Engineers disk. It is probably not in the NGS or Groundspeak databases.

The "POT" stands for "Point On Tangent" meaning that it is a point on line with at least two other points. It is probably associated with a Corps project such as a dam or levee.

I would agree with WildT2 that that particular disk would not in the NGS data base. It is common the find ACE benchmarks in the database, but not POT marks. There is, however, some off chance that it may be.

To find out, the easiest way would be to get a coordinate on it and do a benchmark search on the Benchmark Page using those coordinates as a start point. (If you don't have coordinates for the mark, you can use the coordinates for the cache you found.) After the search is done, a list of benchmarks will be displayed listed in proximity to the coordinates, listed closest first. Check the first few and read the descriptions. If you find a description that matches the benchmark you found, paying particular attention to any inscriptions on the mark that may (should) be described, you will have found your first benchmark at the same time you found your first cache. Log your find and post your pictures on the benchmark page for the rest of us to see.

Welcome to geocaching/benchmarking!

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

I also stumbled on an ACE marker. We have had 2 major floods, 1 in 98, 1 in 02. This marker is out in the woods, in a hunk of cement. I know it does not belong here. I went to ACE website, but could not find anything about reporting a displaced/destroyed marker.

Also where do I log this so it shows up under my benchmark found stat?