Alkaline batteries ok with 450?

I will probably get mark welled but here goes. On the Garmin spec list for the Oregon 450 it says 2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended.

Now the question are alkaline ok to use in a pinch?

Yes maybe a dumb one but You guys are better at this stuff than I Thanks.

alkalines are fine to use in a pinch but they just dont have the lasting power

I will probably get mark welled but here goes. On the Garmin spec list for the Oregon 450 it says 2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended.

Now the question are alkaline ok to use in a pinch?

Yes maybe a dumb one but You guys are better at this stuff than I Thanks.

yep. been using them in my 450 since I got it. (shopping around for a charge kit). :P

The only concern with Alkalines (and Carbon Zinc, should you be desperate) is current draw.

Some electronic devices draw more current than Alkalines can deliver comfortably. I have a digital camera which demands too much current for short spans and effectively kills Alkalines before their time.

As the 450 should last many hours on cells it may not have any spikes on current draw which will damage alkaline cells, though use of backlighting may do it. They should be good for a pinch, but as the manual states, Lithium or NiMH are preferred because they can withstand spikes of high current draw.

I do wonder if Garmin have a profile for Nickel-Zinc cells, yet.

The only concern with Alkalines (and Carbon Zinc, should you be desperate) is current draw.

Some electronic devices draw more current than Alkalines can deliver comfortably. I have a digital camera which demands too much current for short spans and effectively kills Alkalines before their time.

As the 450 should last many hours on cells it may not have any spikes on current draw which will damage alkaline cells, though use of backlighting may do it. They should be good for a pinch, but as the manual states, Lithium or NiMH are preferred because they can withstand spikes of high current draw.

I do wonder if Garmin have a profile for Nickel-Zinc cells, yet.

The starting voltage isn't all that different from lithium, and there's no practical way to profile them. They hold voltage well until they just drop off the map when exhausted, so a gas gauge is not going to be very effective. Great for not having to calibrate the compass (it's the voltage differentials that throw the compass chip for a loop), and I imagine they are going to be great for cold weather use, too.