Download Cache descriptions/hints?

tomclaeys

Newbie here,

Just started my kids, .... and myself to geocaching. We just founf our first 2 caches!! Pretty exciting.

Anyway, to my question. I've just downloaded a bunch of caches to the GPS (Delorme pn 40). But the problem is each cache has it's own description and hints to get there. Sometimes the cache isn't even at the point I downloaded, but somewhere else. As I went back and read the descriptions of each cache, I understood that extra information was needed to help us find it.

But what do you do?? Look at each cache and write all the descriptions down?? Or is my GPS able to download this description (and sometimes secret code) to it somehow?? They sure seem to help. Like I said, ... newbies... any help or advice in this regard??

Thanks-

Another-soon-to-be-addicted-geocacher-family

Your statement of:

Sometimes the cache isn't even at the point I downloaded, but somewhere else.
is a bit confusing.

Are you saying that coordinates other than those published for a particular cache (waypoint) were different?

or

Are you saying that you couldn't find the cache at the coordinates downloaded to the unit?

If your question is the latter -- No GPSr is going to put you atop the cache (OK, it might happen occasionally). It will only put you in the vicinity of the cache. Usually within 20 feet, oftentimes more than that, sometimes less than that. It is what we call Ground Zero (GZ).

Once at GZ, it is time to stop looking at the GPSr and start looking for the cache (or its' hiding spot). If you are still looking at the GPSr, you ain't looking for the cache!

Being new, you should not look for caches other than small to large. For the time being, don't worry about the micros as they can be real buggers. Practice up on the others first, to learn some of the techniques involved in hunting. You should also not try looking for those with higher than 2-star difficulty ratings for the time being.

If your question is more akin to the first one, the problem could be a bit more complex, yet fixable.

Let us know.

And, welcome to the addiction. :P

For traditionals, you pretty much need only to go to the location and find the cache.

For mystery, you need to (usually) solve a puzzle to get the final coordinates. Best done at home.

For multis, you need to go to the location(s) and look for information / a small container with additional coordinates.

For virtuals and earthcaches, you need to fulfill the requirement in the description (e.g. answer a question, take a photo).

You can have all the information in your PN-40. At this point all you need is a premium account. I'm not sure of DeLorme offers a free trial for a premium account - might be worth checking.

Your statement of:

is a bit confusing.

Are you saying that coordinates other than those published for a particular cache (waypoint) were different?

or

Are you saying that you couldn't find the cache at the coordinates downloaded to the unit?

The first one. I know, I know ....I'm confusing myself most of the time.

For example, we were looking for a cache at a school. We didn't find it. I went home and read the description which began :

"The cache is not at the posted coordinates. Located on school grounds so please try for it before 8:00 AM, after 4:00 PM or on weekends or holidays. Park in the school lot. ....."

I then read on to find out that I need to decode some puzzle to find the true coordinates of the cache. The point I downloaded was right outside a teachers room. Apparently the class is learning about geocaching and decoding the message was part of the "lesson". But how were we supposed to know?? We were just looking for the point on the GPS.

Also - Chrysalides - Are you saying that if I have a Premium membership, this will allow me to download the descriptions of each cache as well?? Because as far as I can see the Premium membership allows you to organize and make pocket queries for caches as well as downloading more points at once. And also will help you organize caches for a road trip. It doesn't say anything about downloading descriptions. But I must be missing something. Thanks for the replies!

Your statement of:

is a bit confusing.

or

The first one. I know, I know ....I'm confusing myself most of the time.

For example, we were looking for a cache at a school. We didn't find it. I went home and read the description which began :

"The cache is not at the posted coordinates. Located on school grounds so please try for it before 8:00 AM, after 4:00 PM or on weekends or holidays. Park in the school lot. ....."

I then read on to find out that I need to decode some puzzle to find the true coordinates of the cache. The point I downloaded was right outside a teachers room. Apparently the class is learning about geocaching and decoding the message was part of the "lesson". But how were we supposed to know?? We were just looking for the point on the GPS.

Also - Chrysalides - Are you saying that if I have a Premium membership, this will allow me to download the descriptions of each cache as well?? Because as far as I can see the Premium membership allows you to organize and make pocket queries for caches as well as downloading more points at once. And also will help you organize caches for a road trip. It doesn't say anything about downloading descriptions. But I must be missing something. Thanks for the replies!

The pocket queries you referred to contains the cache descriptions, hints, additional waypoints (for parking, trial heads, etc.), and the last few logs. They will have everything you need EXCEPT any pictures in the description which you may need. I've not had too much trouble with that over the years, though.

I'm not familiar with the PN-40 so someone else will have to help you with using it for paperless caching.

Welcome and good luck!

For traditionals, you pretty much need only to go to the location and find the cache.

For mystery, you need to (usually) solve a puzzle to get the final coordinates. Best done at home.

For multis, you need to go to the location(s) and look for information / a small container with additional coordinates.

For virtuals and earthcaches, you need to fulfill the requirement in the description (e.g. answer a question, take a photo).

You can have all the information in your PN-40. At this point all you need is a premium account. I'm not sure of DeLorme offers a free trial for a premium account - might be worth checking.

I just purchase the Delorme PN-40 myself... Wonderful unit for geocaching. It comes with a 30 day free premium membership.

Sounds like you were doing a mystery cache. The cache itself can be up to 2 to 3 kms away from the posted co-ordinates on the page!

Mystery or Puzzle Caches

The "catch-all" of cache types, this form of cache can involve complicated puzzles you will first need to solve to determine the coordinates. Due to the increasing creativity of geocaching this becomes the staging ground for new and unique challenges.

Cache descriptions can be found here link

Easier to start off looking for the Traditional caches, they are at least close to the co-ordinates at the top of the cache page!

The pocket queries you referred to contains the cache descriptions, hints, additional waypoints (for parking, trial heads, etc.), and the last few logs. They will have everything you need EXCEPT any pictures in the description which you may need. I've not had too much trouble with that over the years, though.

I'm not familiar with the PN-40 so someone else will have to help you with using it for paperless caching.

Welcome and good luck!

TOPO 8, Cache Register or GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) all will put your Pocket Queries onto your PN-40 for paperless geocaching. My personal recommendation is GSAK.

I tried TOPO8...it did the job, but I couldn't chose the caches I wanted to be sent to the PN-40. (I typically don't send unsolved puzzle/mystery caches to my PN until I have solved them and I don’t do paddling caches, so I filter those out as well. Then send the rest of my database to my PN-40)

I tried Cache Register (AKA CR) (Delorme's widget for loading caches)...CR crashed my computer, and when it didn't crash it would only send a handful of caches to my PN. In my opinion a waste of $10.

Then I tried GSAK, a very powerful database management program. You drag and drop your PQs into GSAK, then you can filter, sort, manipulate your caches anyway you want. Then with a mouse click you will send to your PN-40, up to 1000 waypoints (caches and additional waypoints combined) with full cache descriptions and the last 5 logs by default or you can send more logs (I send the last 10 logs…). Once that is complete you are set for paperless Geocaching. Everything you see on a cache page on GC.com you will see on your PN-40 screen (except for: pictures and the fonts will be a bit smaller) :wub: Oh, and if you desire, GSAK will decrypt the hints automatically.

-The forum support team at GSAK is excellent and will help with any setup issues.

I know, it’s a lot of info and sounds crazy. There will be more advice coming from cachers who will/do swear by CR and TOPO8. Listen to what they have to say. I did and it helped me make my decision on what to do. And by the way, last summer I was right where you are. But it was fun figuring it all out.

Good Luck!

A big +1 to Bosn Ski. I've tried all of them and found GSAK to be the easiest, most customizable, and most stable platform. I'm running it in Parallels on my Mac Book Pro. Here's my process:

1. Save the PQ .zip file and then open it in GSAK (or drag it onto GSAK). Filter how you want.

2. Open the relevant file on the PN-40 with Menu... Waypoints, then Menu... File... Open (or New, if you're creating a new file/batch of geocaches).

3. Upload the waypoints from GSAK with GPS... Send Waypoints (be sure to first select your GPS from GPS... Setup).

4. Save the newly uploaded waypoints on the unit with Menu... File... Save.

I have many different files on my GPSr for different areas, categories, and types of geocaches. Each has its own database in GSAK. It's a bit confusing because although geocaches are uploaded from GSAK as Waypoints and they are saved as Waypoints on the unit, they do not appear under Waypoints on the unit. You have to go to Menu... Geocaches to view them despite the fact that the file functions all happen in the Waypoints menu.

Edited by apollosmith

Wow, I didn't know that PN-xx support was added to GSAK. When did that happen? Now I no longer need to use cache register. :)

Edit: Looked at the version history and see that Earthmate PN GPSrs were added Nov 22nd. Now I can use ver 1.1 PQs :D

Edited by TomToad