Butterfly 2010 Geocoin

Jackalgirl

Hello, everyone --

Thought I'd provide an updated sneak peak of the Butterfly 2010 geocoin from Cache Addict. This is a followup to the Morpho Butterfly and is Mike's design (though I helped with the obverse as well as with color choices).

Butterfly-2010.jpg

The coins feature a central hinge and actually close up like a real butterfly does, and will come in a variety of platings and color combinations. These things are amazingly gorgeous in person -- they are little jewels.

Mike tells me that the three versions you see here should be going up for reservations at Cache Addict in about a week.

He'll also be bringing a bunch of these to Geowoodstock, including some editions you don't see here. So if you have a chance to go to the event, please make sure you check out his booth!

WOW!!!!!! Even if I can not see clearly all the butterfly coins (Actually I can not see the blue one well...), I have to admit that the red one caught my eye immediatelly and... I fell in love with it!!!

Oh my... this is like a painting!!!

Jakalgirl you helped??? WOW!!

Then, Bravo to both of you, Mike and you my friends!!! :laughing:

!!!! ;) AMAZING COIN!!!!! ;)

Edited by GATOULIS

Thanks! Sorry if some of the coins are not easy to see in detail...but this is an EVIL sneak peak, eh? ; ) Seriously, tho, there will be much better pictures up on Cache Addict later in the week, so you'll get to see them in all their glory. Of course, once Mike gets his photos up, I'll put them into this thread too.

Cheers!

Excellent, beautiful ...

I always thought someone (I am not artistic enough) should make a hinged butterfly. I am happy to see this done! The colors are beautiful too! Will look forward to the sale thread!

It's actually the second hinged butterfly that Mike has done; the first was the fabulous Morpho Butterfly. Here's a shot of one of the coins I got to move:

161fcab2-7b03-43c1-84a0-c10fd3959bfe.jpg

Note to mods: I'm not putting those up to promote the Morpho Butterfly geocoins -- I'm just trying to provide some context for the Butterfly 2010's scheme in the history of hinged butterfly geocoins. : )

How many different will there be?

I originally did nine different color compositions, including the three on which these three coins are based. You can (hopefully*) see sneak previews of those color comps here.

*I'm aware that some folks using Internet Explorer are having issues with the site. I'm working with a secondary program to try to fix it, but am hung up right now waiting for a response to a technical question. Rest assured that I'm working on it, though!

Thanks to you and everyone for your enthusiasm about the coin! They really are awesome in hand. : )

Hello, everyone --

Thought I'd provide an updated sneak peak of the Butterfly 2010 geocoin from Cache Addict. This is a followup to the Morpho Butterfly and is Mike's design (though I helped with the obverse as well as with color choices).

Butterfly-2010.jpg

The coins feature a central hinge and actually close up like a real butterfly does, and will come in a variety of platings and color combinations. These things are amazingly gorgeous in person -- they are little jewels.

Mike tells me that the three versions you see here should be going up for reservations at Cache Addict in about a week.

He'll also be bringing a bunch of these to Geowoodstock, including some editions you don't see here. So if you have a chance to go to the event, please make sure you check out his booth!

Those are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! And since I have one of EVERY one of the Cache Addict Morpho Butterflies done to date, I will have to have, no, MUST have, these to add to my collection! I guess I better start saving my pennies!!! (Will have to find a way to get the ones that are going to be at GeoWoodstock, too! MUST have complete collection, Must have complete collection, Must have complete collection....... Someone help me before this addiction gets out of hand!! Oh well, TOO LATE!!! lol)

I'd definitely get at least one (with my username, how can I not? :wub:). Wish I have one of the Morphos though - the one pictured looks almost like a Buckeye.

Junonia_coeniaPCCA20051015-1147B.jpg

Image from Wikipedia.

Looking forward to the pre-order.

Oh, BTW, butterfly caterpillars don't build / spin cocoons, moths do. The skin of the caterpillar harden to form a chrysalis. In other words, The Very Hungry Caterpillar is wrong :blink:

I'd definitely get at least one (with my username, how can I not? :wub:). Wish I have one of the Morphos though - the one pictured looks almost like a Buckeye.

The one pictured shows the under side of the coin. The other side looks like a Morpho butterfly. Very pretty. :blink:

That's not this coin though! What a great looking coin Jackal!! Have I mentioned recently you're one of my favorite designers? If not, well, you are!

Edited by anne.and.eli

The one pictured shows the under side of the coin. The other side looks like a Morpho butterfly. Very pretty. :blink:

That's not this coin though! What a great looking coin Jackal!! Have I mentioned recently you're one of my favorite designers? If not, well, you are!

Wow, thank you! That is quite the compliment, coming from you! : ) : ) : )

I'll try to get some shots of the back of the butterfly up as soon as I can. The back is intentionally kind of dull so that the inside is more of a surprise. : ) The tracking text and number are on the back, as you'll see as soon as I get the photos up.

Can I ask? What does the other side look like?

Also, I'm trying to picture where the tracking number will be...

The other side is dull colors like alot of butterflies. they are dull on the outside but open up colorful.

I expect to work on the reservations page in the next week. I did have a question. I was planning on ding certian combinations (red/gold, blue/silver, green/copper). Would people be intersted in each color being available in multiple platings. For example the red butterfly in gold, silver, copper?

Can I ask? What does the other side look like?

Also, I'm trying to picture where the tracking number will be...

The other side is dull colors like alot of butterflies. they are dull on the outside but open up colorful.

I expect to work on the reservations page in the next week. I did have a question. I was planning on ding certian combinations (red/gold, blue/silver, green/copper). Would people be intersted in each color being available in multiple platings. For example the red butterfly in gold, silver, copper?

That would be so cool, but then, it also runs into a LOT of money for those of us who LOVE your butterflies. I personally would really HATE to have to pick and choose which Butterflies I could afford to add to my collection. This is one set that I have always made sure I had one of each, and I have them displayed beautifully in my book. (As a matter of fact, at the Texas Challenge 2010 in March, I had a gentleman come up and ask me if I had brought my beautiful butterflies with me. He wanted to show them to his friends. I did have them, and I gladly let him show them off!!)

Would people be intersted in each color being available in multiple platings. For example the red butterfly in gold, silver, copper?

Personally I love having lots of color options but the number I decide to purchase will ultimately hinge (no pun intended!) on final cost of each coin and a full look at both sides.

As beautiful as the side pictured above is...I have to admit that I'm not as excited when I hear the words "dull colors". So I really want to see the whole coin. :)

I did have a question. I was planning on ding certian combinations (red/gold, blue/silver, green/copper). Would people be intersted in each color being available in multiple platings. For example the red butterfly in gold, silver, copper?

I really don't care about color combinations. I think that red/gold go well together as do blue/silver, so those would be my main choices.

Would people be intersted in each color being available in multiple platings. For example the red butterfly in gold, silver, copper?

Personally I love having lots of color options but the number I decide to purchase will ultimately hinge (no pun intended!) on final cost of each coin and a full look at both sides.

As beautiful as the side pictured above is...I have to admit that I'm not as excited when I hear the words "dull colors". So I really want to see the whole coin. :)

do you like this?

161fcab2-7b03-43c1-84a0-c10fd3959bfe.jpg or this Junonia_coeniaPCCA20051015-1147B.jpg

I would consider these as dull.

Got a shot of the back:

Butterfly-2010(Back).jpg

It's hard to see because of the resolution, but there are two spots on the lower halves of the wings that have all of the tracking information under the enamel. The tracking number is on the left with the text "track my flight" and on the other side "at geocaching.com". The levels on the back are basically reversals of the levels on the front (everything is switched around). The idea was to make the back a play of raised levels, while the front focuses on recessed details under color.