Adopting a cache from deceased member

I have repaired a geocache that belongs to a member who has unforunately passed away. Is there a way I can adopt this cache? Or at the very least take off the needs maintenance attribute?

Officially, no.

Regarding the NM attribute, ask your reviewer. I don't know what they can, or are allowed to do.

Another alternative is to have the cache archived (or wait for it to be eventually archived), then place your own there, with everything copied from the original, including the editable name of "Who placed the cache".

The below is from the guidelines and seems to be the final word. it would appear that contacting them is really just a waste of time. Post a SBA and put your own out makes the most sense. Then everyone gets another smiley for the same location. Had that happen a couple of times around here.

Groundspeak will not process a geocache transfer without written permission from the geocache owner

I have repaired a geocache that belongs to a member who has unforunately passed away. Is there a way I can adopt this cache? Or at the very least take off the needs maintenance attribute?

Regards

Steve

You can't do it but Groundspeak can.

Just send your reviewer the details of the situation and your plan, you just never know, he could go to bat for you or refer you up the chain.

Regards

Steve

You can't do it but Groundspeak can.

Just send your reviewer the details of the situation and your plan, you just never know, he could go to bat for you or refer you up the chain.

A reviewer is unlikely to violate a Groundspeak policy. Go directly up the chain by e-mailing contact@geocaching.com. You never know, but don't hold your breath.

Perhaps Groundspeak should create an attachment to each cacher's Profile, where he or she can give written permission 'in case of death'.

Problem here is, how would Groundspeak verify a death?

My last will and testament, And I leave all my active Geocaches to.........

There will be a death certificate.

Three years ago we found a cache we really enjoyed. The owner had been MIA for several years. The cache was in really bad shape. We went out and gave it a new container, salvaged what swag we could and re-stocked it. The log book stayed as it was wet but still able to be used.

As far as I know the cache is still in fine shape. I watch the logs and have heard nothing bad. It still has the NM attribute. Once Keystone posted a note about the CO needing to take care of the issue. I emailed Keystone and told him what I had done and that the attribute is no longer necessary. I received no reply either way. It is still there. (I may have emailed him before the note. It was three years ago and I can't remember. LoL)

No need to officially adopt it. Just take care of it and it I think it will be unlikely to go anywhere.

You could also have it archived and then create a new cache page that is identical to the old one and keep the cache in place. Folks would probably like to visit it again and get another smiley.

Well, this won't help the OP's problems, but it can help those who like to plan ahead.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/05/18/death.online/index.html

It's a CNN article about a service that "allows users to set up a kind of online will, with beneficiaries that would receive the customer's account information and passwords after they die."

At $30 / year, I think I'll keep an envelope somewhere that says "in the event of my death". Feels like a detective / spy novel...

Three years ago we found a cache we really enjoyed. The owner had been MIA for several years. The cache was in really bad shape. We went out and gave it a new container, salvaged what swag we could and re-stocked it. The log book stayed as it was wet but still able to be used.

My partner and I did the same for a cache here. For her 1000th we took an ammo can out and did a lot of maintenance to rejuvenate it. Now we watch it and take care of it.

My partner and I did the same for a cache here. For her 1000th we took an ammo can out and did a lot of maintenance to rejuvenate it. Now we watch it and take care of it.

I did that recently but I am going to be judicious about using it again. Most would rather have the cache archived and another submitted from the smiley standpoint. It can always be moved too.

I would place a cache close to it. Place the Needs Archiving listing and then post the new cache as "The Ghost of (fill in the original cache name here)". I have a cache that I adopted from a friend of mine. He placed the cache next to a cache named Samuel T. Wilson. The cache owner went awol and he emailed the guy to ask about the cache. Once the cache went missing he placed the new cache in its place and titled it "The Ghost of Samuel T. Wilson". We still don't know what happened to the cache owner. Placing a new cache does 2 things. It allows other a chance to come back to a spot where the original owner had intended to bring people and it gives them another smiley. In my case I adopted this cache from my buddy because he gave me the name and password to his account and told me to do whatever I want to his caches. He just has no more interest in caching anymore. Just try to do it in a respectful manner and good luck with it. Swiz