Private Cache Type

PGgeodude

I have not been caching that long, so this topic may have come and gone, (a search didn't get me anything thou) but I would be interested if there could be a cache type called Private (or similar).

There are 2 things that I could see this being really useful for:

1) My wife and I are hosting a geocaching birthday party for my son on April 23. There will be 10 cache sites plus a bonus "indoor" night cache... (btw, if you are a parent looking at doing this, it's a lot of work!) It would be nice if I could post these to GC and then invite some of my sons friends to the caches, that would open the cache pages for those sites to those individuals. It could also be useful if you are running an event where you will be releasing a number of caches all at once. For instance, the PG Cachers do an annual Cache and Release event where they release 10 to 20 new caches. Once the event is over, the caches are published for the public.

2) Since my family all have seperate accounts and have started to collect Geocoins, it would be nice to have a Private cache or a "locationless" cache where we could all drop our coins and use that as a collection inventory for the whole family. All of our coins are kept in one binder that travels with us to events so it would be nice to have them listed on GC in the same manner.

Just some ideas....

Thanks for all you do to make geocaching fun for the rest of us!

--

PGgeodude aka Kevin.

I was just talking to my wife and she had another reason for this cache type... When a TB or Geocoin goes MIA, you could retire the coin to one of your private caches. Sort of like having a virtual TB condo in Florida... :laughing:

Thanks for all you do to make geocaching fun for the rest of us!

--

PGgeodude aka Kevin.

Answer #1[A]: Any cache published on geocaching.com must be available and accessible to the public.

Answer #1: You could do this with "unpublished" caches, and after the "event" open them for publishing, therefore making them public.

Answer #2: Same as #1, use your home coords and never open it for publishing.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Then I don't really understand you. If you have the coins in a place that the whole family can access. At an event anyone can log it with a discover anyway, and all in the family can access the coins and their codes.

A have many coins in my "HomeVault" and if I have the coins with me anyone can log them as seen.

There is always only one owner of a cache, but why should that be a problem. If four family members owns it, then all four gets the log when someone discovers it!?

No. Every cache should be available to everyone. It would be too easy to abuse a "private cache" feature.

A workaround for your case would be to create the cache pages, don't submit (enable) them, and print them and give the printouts to your guests. After the event is over, you can enable them for publication.

Edited by Lil Devil

The second one is easy. Just make a cache but don't publish it. Keep it in "editing mode".

I have one made like that where I store my GCs and TBs that I wan't to keep.

only downside to that is the area you have your unpublished cache to hold your coins is reserved and you lock out others wanting to place a cache in the area[not a problem if its in the middle of an ocean]

only downside to that is the area you have your unpublished cache to hold your coins is reserved and you lock out others wanting to place a cache in the area[not a problem if its in the middle of an ocean]

I got around that problem by archiving it.

Edited by Chrysalides

The second one is easy. Just make a cache but don't publish it. Keep it in "editing mode".

I have one made like that where I store my GCs and TBs that I wan't to keep.

It won't lock out any caches if he notes on the page what it's purpose is. But yeah, it's best to put the coords in the middle of the ocean.

There are a couple of ways to handle your owned activated, non-traveling coins.

1) mark them missing. they're not in your inventory - so you can see the trackables that you've picked up and need to move and they DON'T acquire miles

2) Create and ARCHIVE a cache at your home, unpublished. Put 'em there. If you create a cache in the middle of the ocean, they'll get bogus miles from being dropped there.