Many questions trying to decide what unit to buy....

Cdash

My impending purchase is new GPS unit to use for Geocaching and logging tracks of hikes and maybe some trail navigation when we come to a fork in the trail. I have a Nuvi that I use for on road navigation.

So far, I am narrowed down between a Dakota 10 or 20, or a PN-30 or 40. I have several questions, so please be patient with me.

Dakota questions: Are the Garmin Topo maps (100k) routable maps?

Can the 100k topo maps be purchased used and used on any unit legally?

How much room do the topo maps or the create your own maps use - my main consideration between the 10 and the 20 is the memory card slot (electronic compass and altimeter don't do much for me, but I don't know if I'd need it. 850MB is a lot of memory.

Delorme questions:

Are the maps that transfer over from TOPO routable?

The PN models come with the TOPO software to cut and transfer maps, right?

This is all I have for now. The PN-30 with TOPO seems to be much more affordable than the Dakota + the purchase of the Garmin TOPO maps, but I sure like the touchscreen of the Dakota, the better reported battery life and the ability to create my own maps. But the convenience of having all the maps.....

No decisions ever seem easy.

Thanks for your help on my questions!

Dakota questions: Are the Garmin Topo maps (100k) routable maps?

Can the 100k topo maps be purchased used and used on any unit legally?

How much room do the topo maps or the create your own maps use - my main consideration between the 10 and the 20 is the memory card slot (electronic compass and altimeter don't do much for me, but I don't know if I'd need it. 850MB is a lot of memory.

1. Topo US 100k is not routable. Apparently the Canadian version is, but that doesn't help you...

2. Earlier versions, yes. Later ones, I do not know.

3. The Topo map on the "t" version of the Colorados / Oregons take up over 2 GB, I believe. You can load just part of it into your GPSr. In any case, you cannot load the entire US Topo due to map segment limitations.

There are free maps available, both topo and routable street maps. Are you aware of that?

My impending purchase is new GPS unit to use for Geocaching and logging tracks of hikes and maybe some trail navigation when we come to a fork in the trail. I have a Nuvi that I use for on road navigation.

So far, I am narrowed down between a Dakota 10 or 20, or a PN-30 or 40. I have several questions, so please be patient with me.

Dakota questions: Are the Garmin Topo maps (100k) routable maps? **NO**

Can the 100k topo maps be purchased used and used on any unit legally? **Some yes**

How much room do the topo maps or the create your own maps use - my main consideration between the 10 and the 20 is the memory card slot (electronic compass and altimeter don't do much for me, but I don't know if I'd need it. 850MB is a lot of memory. **electronic compass comes in handy when stopped trying to figure out where exactly the cache is while stopped. memory card slot is nice for dropping GPX files onto the gps, if you are looking for routable maps they are typically ~1,200mb in size and the use of a memory card is required. **

Delorme questions:

This is all I have for now. The PN-30 with TOPO seems to be much more affordable than the Dakota + the purchase of the Garmin TOPO maps, but I sure like the touchscreen of the Dakota, the better reported battery life and the ability to create my own maps. But the convenience of having all the maps.....

I answered your questions above on the garmin products as those are the units I'm familiar with and could provide quick answers.

Dakota questions: Are the Garmin Topo maps (100k) routable maps? **NO**

Can the 100k topo maps be purchased used and used on any unit legally? **Some yes**

How much room do the topo maps or the create your own maps use - my main consideration between the 10 and the 20 is the memory card slot (electronic compass and altimeter don't do much for me, but I don't know if I'd need it. 850MB is a lot of memory. **electronic compass comes in handy when stopped trying to figure out where exactly the cache is while stopped. memory card slot is nice for dropping GPX files onto the gps, if you are looking for routable maps they are typically ~1,200mb in size and the use of a memory card is required. **

Delorme questions:

I answered your questions above on the garmin products as those are the units I'm familiar with and could provide quick answers.

Delorme questions:

Right, but no longer needed for that purpose.

In addtion to a DVD with the main mapping application, Topo USA 8.0, bundled in the box are 5 DVDs that contain the detail maps.

These DVDs have an installer that can install the detail maps directly to the internal storage of your PN-30, -40 or its SD card.

They can accomodate SD cards up to 32GB, although most use a 16GB card.

These maps are routable.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Delorme questions:

In addtion to a DVD with the main mapping application, Topo USA 8.0, bundled in the box are 5 DVDs that contain the detail maps.

These DVDs have an installer that can install the detail maps directly to the internal storage of your PN-30, -40 or its SC card.

These maps are routable.

Thanks, I am a new convert (from Garmin) to Delorme PN-40. Still trying to get the maps straight.

Delorme questions:

These DVDs have an installer that can install the detail maps directly to the internal storage of your PN-30, -40 or its SC card.

These maps are routable.

Thanks, I am a new convert (from Garmin) to Delorme PN-40. Still trying to get the maps straight.

Check these:

NetLink Download Tutorial

Set up map to send to PN

And:

Check these for getting started:

http://pn-series.wiki.delorme.com/

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/

http://pn-series.wiki.delorme.com/Getting+Started

Also:

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Map+Layering

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Cutting+Map+Packages

Clear-Outs, Tracks & Waypoints

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=123051#p123051

I am still playing with my Dakota 20 and PN-40. The DK20 is a good unit and I will be selling it when the PN-60 comes out. I just like a lot of the features that my PN-40 has. Do not get me wrong, the DK 20 is a good unit I just do not care for the touch screen. Te topo 2008 maps you can put on as many units as you want same with the tpo24k. The free maps are acually more up to date than the Garmin maps. I bought the 24Ktopo Northeast and it is nice.

Thanks

On the garmin, if you get the Garmin 24K maps, both the street data and trails are routeable. That said, I've found the trail data tends to be somewhat bad, to the point routing on it isn't really an option. I've been doing a fair bit of exploring of the backcountry of Utah, Arizona, and Idaho lately with an ATV, while carrying both a PN-40 and a Dakota 20. So far I've found neither unit to be very good when it comes to dirt roads or atv trails. With either unit, you really need to track down some one elses track data if you want to navigate accurately.

As to pluses and minuses of the two units, myself I prefer the Dakota. I like the maps better, and find it just fits my use style better. That said, it has the harder to see display when outdoors, especially if you're wearing sunglasses. I found for use on my ATV neither one was acceptable and bought a Nuvi 500. Battery life is considerably better with the Dakota, which seems trivial but I just prefer having a unit that I can use all day without having to change the batteries. I can't do that with my PN-40. With both units, you can download aerial photos. That said, I never bothered renewing my subscription to the Delorme service as I found it more trouble than it was worth for me. I can't even comment on the Garmin service being as how I haven't chosen to subscribe. Either unit will get you to where you're going quite competently, and as you have already noticed, the PN-40 is probably the better value when it comes to cost.

You are right about being able to see the screen. I have never had a problem with the PN-40. I have tried all the Oregon 300, 450 and the Dakota and had problems with all of them. The DK2 being the best. I too use a Nuvi 500 and it works great. The auto routing on the Garmins is better, but the PN-40 works fine. I would say the PN-40 is a better deal for the money.