Trackables' Missions

suesearch

Most trackables I pick up have a mission and I try to help it along. Recently my 12 years old grandson who is an avid cacher and lives in Texas set two trackables on the road to race to close to Woodland park,Colorado where he will be going this summer. One has already made it to Colorado outside of Denver. The other one was in New Mexico. Someone picked it up and took it to Georgia and dropped it at a Difficulty 5 where ou have to have a boat plus pay a $10.00 fee to leave from a certain point. I am wondering why someone would do that. I really want to send them a message telling them I think that was very discourteous. Should I? They just ruined by grandson's game. :laughing:

Most trackables I pick up have a mission and I try to help it along. Recently my 12 years old grandson who is an avid cacher and lives in Texas set two trackables on the road to race to close to Woodland park,Colorado where he will be going this summer. One has already made it to Colorado outside of Denver. The other one was in New Mexico. Someone picked it up and took it to Georgia and dropped it at a Difficulty 5 where ou have to have a boat plus pay a $10.00 fee to leave from a certain point. I am wondering why someone would do that. I really want to send them a message telling them I think that was very discourteous. Should I? They just ruined by grandson's game. :laughing:

How often has that cache been found? If it is not found often then you may send them a note explaining that the particular coin has a mission and by placement in that cache he has destroyed it's mission. I have a coin that is supposed to travel only in Door County, WI where it was released. It has been to Illinois and Indiana is is now finally back in WI but not in Door County yet.

To the cachers who read the missions and help the travelers toward it I wish to say a huge THANK YOU!!!

How often has that cache been found? If it is not found often then you may send them a note explaining that the particular coin has a mission and by placement in that cache he has destroyed it's mission. I have a coin that is supposed to travel only in Door County, WI where it was released. It has been to Illinois and Indiana is is now finally back in WI but not in Door County yet.

To the cachers who read the missions and help the travelers toward it I wish to say a huge THANK YOU!!!

After that, you may want to contact the cache owner maybe he/she might be doing a maintenance run to make sure the cache is good to go for the summer. If not maybe post on the cache page for someone to please pick up to help TB towards its mission.

That is a bummer.

Travelers go where they will. If you have high expectations that it's going to be moved exactly where it should be every time you are probably not going to enjoy them. Sure the cacher probably shouldn't have moved it to a high difficulty cache but if it's only been a short time you need to wait ans see if it gets moved here pretty soon.

If it doesn't move soon, like within three months you can certainly ask the cache owner or another nearby cacher to retrieve it. Keep in mind no one is obligated to go fetch it for you.

Release'em and forget'em. If they write home from time to time then that's good news. I'm happy to hear from mine once every few months.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I agree with you Suesearch. It's very frustrating having your T.B.'s or coins taken out of circulation or sent on a completely different mission. Maybe if we bring it up enough people will start paying attention to the mission some of these T.B.'s and coins are on.

I hear ya, but the The Official Travel Bug Obituary...., Do your whining here thread has already passed 450 replies.

I think the time frame given for reaching the goal was too short. I have a TB out there that has a goal of reaching Alaska..... in March....... 2011. Thankfully for me, someone picked it up and took it to Alaska right after it was released. Now all it has to do is hang out up there for a year and complete the second part of its mission.

About 6 years ago I got a friend into caching and after a fun time one summer she sent out 4 travel bugs with the mission to reach me. 1 made it right away, 1 took it's sweet time and of the other two 1 took about 2-3 years and the last hasn't been heard from since. Distance? Spokane to SoCal..... not too drastic.

So in the short time frame you guys are batting 500 and that seems about right. Clearly you have a winner but the fun part will be in seeing how long the loser takes to get to the finish line.... have all your relatives take bets, turn it into a game as this stuff happens all the time.

So in the short time frame you guys are batting 500 and that seems about right. Clearly you have a winner but the fun part will be in seeing how long the loser takes to get to the finish line.... have all your relatives take bets, turn it into a game as this stuff happens all the time.

Nice perspective!!!

Much better than the "get over it" attitude!

Edited by steel city babes

Nice perspective!!!

Much better than the "get over it" attitude!

I don't tell people to get over it. I tell them to have really low expectations.

Big difference. :P

Edited by BlueDeuce

I suppose you could look at from the "at least the cacher who retrieves it REALLY wanted it" perspective, rather than having it picked up by someone who was out for an easy find and might end up hoarding it in the end. Caches with a high terrain and difficulty rating tend to be sought by serious cachers who will take care of your coin.

Edited by lil_cav_wings

About 6 years ago I got a friend into caching and after a fun time one summer she sent out 4 travel bugs with the mission to reach me. 1 made it right away, 1 took it's sweet time and of the other two 1 took about 2-3 years and the last hasn't been heard from since. Distance? Spokane to SoCal..... not too drastic.

:P I like that outlook. Think I will be able to sell it to my grandson. Thanks.