for those that lost street names after birdseye update

If anyone, like me, lost street names after the firmware update to support birdseye view on their Garmin GPS's, I figured out how to get mine back. I will note, however, that Garmin has acknowledged the problem and says a fix is coming soon.

Anyway, a little bit about my setup. I have an Oregon 450 (no preloaded maps) that I loaded up with OSM and a handful of maps from GPSFileDepot. When BirdsEye was announced, I updated and got a subscription. After loading some Sat imagery and booting the GPS I was shocked to discover I no longer had street names on the unit. Doh! I am using a Mac, with Basecamp and MapInstall btw.

So last night I added a new set of maps (from GPSFileDepot) and decided to reselect every area of every map and reload them all into the GPS. This process took around 14 hours (why does this take so long?!). Anyway, when that finished and I booted up the GPS I had all my street names back. Perhaps just regenerating the maps via MapInstall was what needed to happen?

Either way, I happy at this point.

Curious if anyone else wants to try this to see if it resolves their issue as well?

Curious if anyone else wants to try this to see if it resolves their issue as well?

I'd be more interested to see if I could use the maps which are already on my Oregon, but "refresh" the Oregon's view of them. Not sure if I'm phrasing that right but I think the issue of losing street names might be fixed by removing the MicroSD card which holds most of my maps from the Oregon, booting the Oregon, which might force it to re-index or refresh its map data, then putting the card back in after, hopefully creating a fresh map index.

I'm going to try that tonight, I think.

I'd be more interested to see if I could use the maps which are already on my Oregon, but "refresh" the Oregon's view of them. Not sure if I'm phrasing that right but I think the issue of losing street names might be fixed by removing the MicroSD card which holds most of my maps from the Oregon, booting the Oregon, which might force it to re-index or refresh its map data, then putting the card back in after, hopefully creating a fresh map index.

I'm going to try that tonight, I think.

I have tried that as my maps are on SD cards. Didn't work for me. I am interested to hear from you to see if yours did work.

I re-loaded my maps from internal memory on my Oregon 300 in order to gain more space for BirdsEye. My memory card is a Garmin 24K Topo card so I am stuck using internal memory for everything else. Anyway, I have street names on all of my maps, CNNT, Topo 2008, Garmin 24K, and Ibycus USA. To be honest though I am not sure if I ever lost the street names. I re-sized the maps right after the upgrade to 3.70