Attacked at a cache

Just wondering why the anti firearm comments.

I would venture to say because people have not been educated about firearms and are scared of them. When really a gun sitting there on a table is just as harmless as a knife, sword, hiking staff, and other weapons. It all has to do with the person who decides to pick the weapon up.

I would venture to say because people have not been educated about firearms and are scared of them. When really a gun sitting there on a table is just as harmless as a knife, sword, hiking staff, and other weapons. It all has to do with the person who decides to pick the weapon up.

If this weren't a family friendly forum I would be reading you the proverbial riot act.

There is a HUGE difference between being "afraid" of something and just not liking them.

I don't like spiders. I am not afraid of spiders.

I don't like stepping in dog poo but I'm not afraid of dog poo.

I don't like guns but I'm not afraid of them.

AND, there is a HUGE difference between a knife, sword, hiking staff and so many other things and a gun. A child accidentally picking up a gun is 100 times more dangerous than any of your other examples.

So, you want to educate me? Come on, give it a try. There is nothing you can tell me about gun safety that I don't already know (other than arbitrary statistics). And until you have had someone shot in your house or faced a loaded weapon donw the barrel a few times, why not just keep your judgmental opinions to yourself.

Yes. Why don'twe all just pull out a gun whenever we feel threatened?

In case you people don't already know this, you aren't allowed to shoot someone just because they hit you with their fist. In fact, I have a relative who is in jail for pointing a gun at someone who was physically accosting his wife.

I never said that that would be my first action, but I can tell you this if I feel that my life or anyone in my families life is in danger I have the legal right in the state of Kentucky to shoot them. You can check out "KRS 503.055" Physically accosting someone and someone hitting you or putting your life in danger is two totally different things.

Yes, but you will also probably spend your last dollar defending your actions. You'd better be 99.999% certain that your life or the life of a loved one was in danger. Talking about carrying, and therefore possibly using, a gun is something that should not be done so casually. While it may save a life, it will also probably ruin yours. Not a subject that deserves a three word sentence, "Get a gun".

This I can agree with. There is a huge responsibility to carrying a firearm. There is also a huge commitment to learning to use it effectivly and to maintain that skill. Then there are legal and emotional issues should you ever have to use it. Not anyting to be done lightly at all. That said I do own a firearm, would use it if need be and support other's right to carry or not carry as they see fit.

just wondering, why would anyone need a gun for?

Honestly I really think its time to stop commenting about firearms all together because everyone has their own opinions and this could go on for pages. I really hope Geo-raldo does not give up this fun hobby and takes the necessary precautions to protect themselves as well as their family. Whether it be a firearm, mace, pepper spray, taser, or good old fists. Just keep caching!!!! :P

Your argument is seriously flawed. I could leave a hiking staff on my table and kids could play with it... sure... they may bonk eachother on the head with it but mostly it would not kill them.

A gun can and has been picked up by children and killed adults and children...

Not the same...

Look up how any kids have intentionally killed other kids with a gun vs those who found a parents gun (not even sitting on a coffee table) and accidentally killed other children.

A hiking staff... Knife.... and various other items can and do kill people... a guns only use is to kill.

I am not anti-gun... I even own a few... but to suggest that the OP's situation would have gone better if she was armed is ridiculous.

She would have shot a stupid drunk man and would be on trial if some of you were making decisions for her.

Geocaching and guns do not belong together anymore than they belong apart.

I have strayed waaay off topic and hope the OP takes some time off and recovers. Seriously.

Because there is no test for emotional stability.

I am a gun owner, a lifetime hunter, I carry sometimes on my person and most always in my truck, and hold a Concealed Carry Permit. I am certainly not anti-gun.

However, not all people are capable of safely carrying a handgun.

Some people have rage disorders where slight things to 'normal' people are outrages which bring out rather unfortunate behaviors. Angry unreasonable people and guns are a very bad mix.

Some folks are scared of any kind of violence. The idea of getting into a fight, especially losing one, scares the hell out of them. They equate someone punching them in the nose with a threat to their life. With no way to evaluate a situation they may introduce gun play into a situation that scares them when in fact they were in no real life-threatening danger at all. Scared people and guns are a terrible mix.

Some people drink. No one who drinks should have a gun. Period. Full stop.

Some people live lives of private terror, where any unusual noise in the night terrifies them. Is that an intruder? Oh my God I'm going to die! Thank God I have a gun! Then they shoot their kid who came home late. Or their spouse who went out for a beer. Or a burglar was was looking to steal their VCR. If you can't control your fear you have zero chance of being a safe gun owner.

How people will react to stress is highly unpredictable. Unpredictable people with guns are a recipe for disaster.

The OP reacted to a fight in what I think is an emotionally over-reactive way... without knowing anything else about the people or the situation I hear alarm bells that these are probably not good candidates for gun ownership.

There are many ways to protect oneself. The first is to run. Yep. When someone confronts you and scares you don't try to deal with them, don't argue, if you feel that threatened run. Our whole culture teaches men not to run, but that is in fact the first and fastest way to avoid this kind of situation. Anyone who says "no way would I run away" CERTAINLY should not be allowed to carry a gun.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Honestly I really think its time to stop commenting about firearms all together because everyone has their own opinions and this could go on for pages. I really hope Geo-raldo does not give up this fun hobby and takes the necessary precautions to protect themselves as well as their family. Whether it be a firearm, mace, pepper spray, taser, or good old fists. Just keep caching!!!! :P

Looking the posts over, both pro and con, I believe this is the most reasonable post yet.

<snip>

Well said.

When I have a gun with me, I am dangerous. It's as simple as that.

I do not have much self control so if someone angers me enough and I have a gun with me, they are in danger for their life.

It's better if I just carry what I carry when carry it. I am safe enough against most any attack, guns aside. If I'm in a situation where a gun is used against me, I doubt my carrying a gun will make any difference.

If this weren't a family friendly forum I would be reading you the proverbial riot act.

There is a HUGE difference between being "afraid" of something and just not liking them.

I don't like spiders. I am not afraid of spiders.

I don't like stepping in dog poo but I'm not afraid of dog poo.

I don't like guns but I'm not afraid of them.

AND, there is a HUGE difference between a knife, sword, hiking staff and so many other things and a gun. A child accidentally picking up a gun is 100 times more dangerous than any of your other examples.

So, you want to educate me? Come on, give it a try. There is nothing you can tell me about gun safety that I don't already know (other than arbitrary statistics). And until you have had someone shot in your house or faced a loaded weapon donw the barrel a few times, why not just keep your judgmental opinions to yourself.

I am sorry if I offended you and I am finished with discussing this topic. Once again everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I am a gun owner, a lifetime hunter, I carry sometimes on my person and most always in my truck, and hold a Concealed Carry Permit. I am certainly not anti-gun.

Some people have rage disorders where slight things to 'normal' people are outrages which bring out rather unfortunate behaviors. Angry unreasonable people and guns are a very bad mix.

Some folks are scared of any kind of violence. The idea of getting into a fight, especially losing one, scares the hell out of them. They equate someone punching them in the nose with a threat to their life. With no way to evaluate a situation they may introduce gun play into a situation that scares them when in fact they were in no real life-threatening danger at all. Scared people and guns are a terrible mix.

Some people drink. No one who drinks should have a gun. Period. Full stop.

Some people live lives of private terror, where any unusual noise in the night terrifies them. Is that an intruder? Oh my God I'm going to die! Thank God I have a gun! Then they shoot their kid who came home late. Or their spouse who went out for a beer. Or a burglar was was looking to steal their VCR. If you can't control your fear you have zero chance of being a safe gun owner.

How people will react to stress is highly unpredictable. Unpredictable people with guns are a recipe for disaster.

The OP reacted to a fight in what I think is an emotionally over-reactive way... without knowing anything else about the people or the situation I hear alarm bells that these are probably not good candidates for gun ownership.

There are many ways to protect oneself. The first is to run. Yep. When someone confronts you and scares you don't try to deal with them, don't argue, if you feel that threatened run. Our whole culture teaches men not to run, but that is in fact the first and fastest way to avoid this kind of situation. Anyone who says "no way would I run away" CERTAINLY should not be allowed to carry a gun.

Well put sir. The fight or flight mode should become a part of licensing to possess a firearm.

If you want to fight... fail... flight.. pass... avoid anything that will make you use your gun. It is a last resort.

I agree there are those who for the reasons you list should not carry a firearm. There are others that are perfectly able to do so in a safe manner. I don't know anything about the OP or which side of the fence that person would fall on. I just find knee jerk reactions on either side to be less than productive.

I'm sorry that your family had to go through that while doing one of the best family activities I have gotten addicted to.

Guns are no joking matter. I also have a License to carry a concealed handgun and I carry every where I am allowed, including caching. I hope that it is never removed from my holster in need but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Like someone else has said...I hope to see you on the trails

Milky

I've been thinking of looking into buying a gun. Swords are so HARD to throw long distances, and throwing knives get dull after they catch on bone too many times...

For your particular needs, may I recommend a good chainsaw instead?

Edit to remove my edit :P

Edited by Chrysalides
I've been thinking of looking into buying a gun. Swords are so HARD to throw long distances, and throwing knives get dull after they catch on bone too many times...

Edit to remove my edit :lol:

I met a man with no hands.

I asked him what happened.

He said he had been trying to learn to juggle chainsaws.

I said I could see how he could lose a hand doing that, but what about the other one?

He said "If at first you don't succeed..." :P

Sorry to hear a family were attacked while out on a harmless outing. I truly hope they will reconsider as most people are fine, upstanding folk.

That they encountered a drunk in the middle of the day speaks significantly about the deviance of that individual, not of the world or the game in general.

Were I the land owner I'd evict the tenant post haste as that sort will only bring trouble to those around him.

Please give some time to recover and reconsider. Best advice is to cache in a group (safety in numbers) and report all negative encounters to Cache Owners so other cachers will be spared.

Now.. regarding this gun thread fork .. take it elsewhere, people.

Edit to remove my edit :P

Toooo bulky. But it's a thought!

Don't let some drunken idiot stop you from geocaching.

It could have easily happened by going to walmart, and some drunken idiot attacks you in the parking lot.

Things can happen anywhere at any time. It's just the random nature of some bad people in this world.

i really hope your family doesn't curl up into a ball and stay locked indoors.

That is very true and very sound advice when it comes to who should and who shouldn't have a firearm.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience caching and that your family had have something so traumatic happen when they were doing something that they enjoy. While having a brief break to recage your inner compass is probably a good thing, I wouldn't hide away forever. I couldn't imagine a better learning point for your son than seeing his parents overcome a scary event and move on. It shows him that, while he should always trust his instincts about bad situations, overcoming fears after a bad situation is a good life skill to have.

Hopefully this is the one and only crazy drunk lunatic that you'll ever have to face in life, and you get back in the geocache saddle again soon... when you're ready, of course.

Back on topic, I wonder if the OP is still following the thread. I see that they logged on today, but haven't found any geocaches since the bee keeper.

I also see that the CO talked to the property owner again, and moved the cache more than 200 feet away from its original location. He also said that the renter has a mental condition. Is it far enough? Hopefully.

Anyway, during my first month of geocaching, I ran into an irate property owner. It was my only incident, and my family was with me as well. Maybe that helped. He wasn't happy, but I apologized, explained, and offered to remove the cache. In the end, we shook hands with him and left. If he started screaming at us, or tried to attack us, I'd probably be quite put off geocaching as well. The OP will have to decide for herself if geocaching is something she wants to continue to do. I'm also of the belief that incidents like this is an exception, and that quitting because of it would be an over-reaction. But if the OP no longer finds it fun because of the apprehension and fear, I sympathize. Whatever your decision, good luck with it.

Edited by Chrysalides

As for going out again I think that it will take time to heal. Thank goodness we have had a few inches of rain over the past few days and things are mucky and muddy right now. Time heals everything. I am just not sure how long it will take before I am comfortable enough to head back out into the world of caching again.

I hope you can. I had a experence like this while caching on Public lands near Decatur Texas. No fist fight but there was a gun. We (being myself Blade711 and my 15 year old son) walked up on a hunter in a blind who was having a bad hunt I guess. He got all bent out of shape saying that we were harrassing him. Tried to explan what we were doing but it fell on deaf ears. He was going to turn us In to the Game warden and there was $1000.00 fine for Harssing hunters. He stormed off in the oppsite direction, just kinda spooky to have to deal with a man that was real mad and holding a 12 gage Shot gun.

That is my worst story... Not as bad as yours but still scary.

Good luck on what ever you decide.

Get a gun ....

NOT good advice.

Horrible advice since the adults could get separated again, get two guns.

Offering the guy an ice cold beer probably would have made him a friend for life.

depends on what kind. i'd have not been happy to have been offered a lite beer.

In case you people don't already know this, you aren't allowed to shoot someone just because they hit you with their fist. In fact, I have a relative who is in jail for pointing a gun at someone who was physically accosting his wife.

in liberal land, i'm sure it is life in prison if you even threaten the man with a dead herring....but lucky for us in texas, we'd get a street named for us if we were to exercise our 2nd amendment rights and defend against an attacker.

Thank you for all of your kind words. Just a littlie more information. I did let the owner of the cache know about the experience and he has disabled the cache and emailed the owner who winters in Florida with his bees.

I do have a nice walking stick that my son made for me at mom & son camp. I did have it out of the vehicle as I was going to attempt to go up the hill with my familly.

As for carrying a gun, I wish!!!! They are trying to get the concealed carry law passed here and I really wish they would for many reasons. I am an avid hunter and fisherwoman and would love to be able to legally carry a gun.

As for assault charges I am not sure what the police were doing. They took our verbal statment and my husband's written statement. They had to try several times to get the statement of the tenant. Not sure why it took several attempts. One police officer went to get his statement and came back to tell the other officer he was unable to get the statement and he felt that both of them needed to try again.

As for going out again I think that it will take time to heal. Thank goodness we have had a few inches of rain over the past few days and things are mucky and muddy right now. Time heals everything. I am just not sure how long it will take before I am comfortable enough to head back out into the world of caching again.

Since you can't carry a real gun, how about a stun gun?

Wow! What a horrible experience you had! I'm very sorry you had to endure that. This is one of the reasons I will not cache on private property.

Actually the proximity of the bees alone would have run me off :P I don't care for bees so much.

I have to agree with the sentiments expressed that you absolutely cannot let this guy break your mojo. Take some time and let the anger and bitterness drain off some, but definitely keep doing what you love to do when you are ready.

As a former CubScout leader, it is my strong belief that YOU GUYS ESPECIALLY need to get back in the saddle and show your child and the rest of the cubs that sometimes bad things can happen to good people, but that does not mean that you have to lose.

Show your pack what a leader is made of. Pick up and carry on. Use it as a learning tool and character builder for your pack. Reinforce in them by example that adversity makes you stronger.

Dyb Dyb Dyb .....

You can do it.

So the owner rents out property and then gives other permission to use it. Sounds to me like the problem is with the owner. If I had that cache and saw even one of those logs from people about the confrontation i would archived it immediately. You might want to drop him/her a note and suggest that.

If I recall my Cub Scout and Boy Scout days one of the traits they try to teach is to overcome adversity and not let one incident get you down and prevent you from achieving other things. I guess they don't teach that where you are.

From reading the logs, the renter was renting the property next door to the cache, not the property it was on.

As strange as this might sound, there are actually people out in the world who wish harm on others. They honestly believe that they have a right to victimize whoever they wish, whenever they wish. For lack of a better definition, I'll call them "bad guys". Incidentally, according to prison interviews, "bad guys" love anti-gun legislation. These laws empower them by creating an environment where the vast majority cannot resist their efforts. Liberal legislators also love anti-gun legislation, as they know, statistically, that every law designed to reduce a citizen's ability to defend themselves will result in an increase in victims. Victims are more dependent upon the Government, which gives TPTB more power.

Another shock will be discovering that there are other people out there who have made a conscious decision to avoid being victimized by these "bad guys". A firearm can be a positive force multiplier for those folks.

A child accidentally picking up a gun is 100 times more dangerous than any of your other examples.

Wow! Whooda thunk it?! I must be a statistical anomaly. I grew up with firearms. I was educated almost from infancy regarding their use and their consequences. Perhaps, as a result of this education, all the hundreds of times I've had close encounters with firearms, neither I, nor anyone around me, suffered any harm, which seems to conflict with your asinine "100 times more dangerous" tripe you babble about. As a youth, I was not, however, educated regarding such a simple thing as a machete. I still carry the great big scar across my thigh which was the end result of my ignorance.

And until you (meet my silly criteria), why not just keep your judgmental opinions to yourself.

Yup. Remember, to the Liberal mindset, any opinion which differs from theirs must be silenced.

By the power vested in me by Signal the Frog, I hereby declare that this is no longer a "gun thread."

Oops! I'm thinking I should read the entire thread before responding. Sorry Keystome! :P

Edited by Clan Riffster
A child accidentally picking up a gun is 100 times more dangerous than any of your other examples.

Wow! Whooda thunk it?! I must be a statistical anomaly. I grew up with firearms. I was educated almost from infancy regarding their use and their consequences. Perhaps, as a result of this education, all the hundreds of times I've had close encounters with firearms, neither I, nor anyone around me, suffered any harm, which seems to conflict with your asinine "100 times more dangerous" tripe you babble about. As a youth, I was not, however, educated regarding such a simple thing as a machete. I still carry the great big scar across my thigh which was the end result of my ignorance.

To play devil's advocate here - growing up with firearms means you couldn't 'accidentally pick up a gun' and having something bad happen. Your accident was with a machete, and that made you 100 times more dangerous with a machete than if you had grown up using one...

... but don't think I agree with bittsen on the rest.

So, at the risk of sounding snarky, let me preface this by saying I have very little compassion in many circumstances.

Let me get this straight.

You have an activity that you enjoy. Something bad happened during this activity, so you are quitting this activity?

That means the drunk guy wins. If the drunk guy wins then what does that make you?

YOU need to WIN this battle or forever be a victim. Don't let this idjit control you. Take control of this situation and empower yourself with the knowledge that YOU are a WINNER.

OR, you can go hide in a hole because one day out of the XX thousand days of your life, something bad happened.

It's your choice.

AND, sue the drunk guy for whatever he doesn't have. Behavior like this deserves to be punished and since it's illegal to set him on fire, sue him.

There are so many things wrong with your post I don't even know where to start.

I never said that that would be my first action, but I can tell you this if I feel that my life or anyone in my families life is in danger I have the legal right in the state of Kentucky to shoot them. You can check out "KRS 503.055" Physically accosting someone and someone hitting you or putting your life in danger is two totally different things.

Yes, but you will also probably spend your last dollar defending your actions. You'd better be 99.999% certain that your life or the life of a loved one was in danger. Talking about carrying, and therefore possibly using, a gun is something that should not be done so casually. While it may save a life, it will also probably ruin yours. Not a subject that deserves a three word sentence, "Get a gun".

I went through the required training here in MN for conceal carry. Lawyers estimate that it will cost you in excess of $225,000 to defend yourself in a shooting where you are 100% in the right and after you've been found innocent of all charges. As a permit holder, brandishing my weapon is THE VERY LAST thing I'd be doing.

<snip>

Well said.

When I have a gun with me, I am dangerous. It's as simple as that.

I do not have much self control so if someone angers me enough and I have a gun with me, they are in danger for their life.

:P:lol:;) trying.. trying.. trying not to respond.. trying...

I went through the required training here in MN for conceal carry. Lawyers estimate that it will cost you in excess of $225,000 to defend yourself in a shooting where you are 100% in the right and after you've been found innocent of all charges. As a permit holder, brandishing my weapon is THE VERY LAST thing I'd be doing.

Retracting.. posted before I saw the warning.

Looks like I opened up a can of worms. But I stand by my statement. Let me clarify. Get a Gun and learn how to use it safely and properly. Get a concealed weapons permit if they have one in your state. If not find out how you can legally carry one in your car. Be sure that you know it will be and won’t be safe to bring it out. When I was attacked it was in my car and if I’d had my gun with me it would not have been safe to use, because it could have been turned against me. But that doesn’t stop me from carrying one in my car in case I need it in the future. Realize that it is always better to leave than to fight, but it’s not always possible to leave. Join the NRA. If you (legally) use your gun to defend yourself and are being prosecuted they will defend members free. Best insurance a legal gun owner can buy. Because yes you could be unfairly prosecuted but you could also be dead and not have to worry about. You have no way of knowing if the drunk is who is attacking you or your family is going to stop at a few punches or if they are going to pull out a knife or their own gun. Yes you should leave if it’s possible, but if it’s not you have the right to defend yourself and your family. If you want to know if you should carry a gun then you should ask yourself a few questions. Is there any chance that I will get angry and pull out my gun to make a point. NO, never. I’m not that kind of person. Do I want to use my gun to defend myself. NO! I don’t, never. Will I hesitate to use it if I feel I have no other choice. No! I will not. Because if you are forced to pull a gun and you are not willing to follow thru you have just given the person you feared enough to pull it another weapon to use against you. If you have never been in fear of your life the last one may be something you have to make an educated guess at. If you have been attacked it’s likely a question you will know the answer to. I know before I was attacked I wondered if if came right down to it if I could really take a life even if I felt threatened. It was actually only a few days before that when I was at the gun range with some police offer friends who teaching me to shoot better that I’d ever really considered that one. But I can tell you when that man pushed me down on the seat and threatened to kill me if I didn’t cooperate (hitting me with a metal weapon to make sure I believed him.) I knew that if I needed to kill him to survive I could. Frankly I'd rather be alive and facing all those bills to defend myself than the alternitive. And I can tell of you several cases of people who had to fight bogus charges at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars where no gun was involved.

So many of you make valid arguments for why guns are dangerous. Or why they wouldn't own one. But Guns also save many lives. Just because some people are stupid with them doesn’t mean I shouldn’t have the right to protect myself and my family. Doesn’t mean everyone else shouldn’t have the same rights. But: I fully support your right to not own or carry a gun.

I'm so sorry that the original thread got hijacked. I really think some of you were way to hard on someone who started this thread with the words "I THINK" after a very traumatic experiance, that involved not only them but their child. I think any normal person would need and deserves a little time to regroup. Those of you who can't get that need to chill.

As the original poster I do not like where this thread has headed. This is not about gun control or use of physical violence.

I wanted to get my story out so others can take caution when thinking about finding a cache hidden on private property even when permission has been granted.

I also needed to vent. I have been following the thread and most of you have been very supportive and helpful.

I do see that the owner of the cache has now moved the cache away from the building and has made note that the renter has a mental issue.

I do not agree with the cache owner's decision, but it is his cache. I have made my post on the cache as as warning to others. I don't feel given the attack and knowing that this man is mentally unstable that a cache should continue at this location. But each cacher can make their own informed decision after reading the posts and comments for themselves.

Thank you to those who have given their support. As for the others take the gun control posting to the off topic area of the forum.

DO Not let a single semingly unstable jerk ruin this or anything else you enjoy....

Next you could run into a jerk like this at the Mall or Grocery Store, will you stop going there...

I think you all did the right thing by calling the Police...

I'd maybe post a note on the cachelogs to warn other Geocachers about this guy... It woulda been nice to snap a pic of him, for the site and the police...

Again, unless you cache in a really bad area or just looking for a reason to hang it up, I'd cool down for a fewdays and re-think it...

Explain to your kid, that some people are just bad and need to be avoided...

GEO-raldo:

I wasn't crazy on how the cache owner tried to resolve the issue either. I think I would have archived it.

As far as you quitting caching, I hope not. My daughters and I followed you through the Sponge Bob series a few days after you completed it. It sounded like you and the cub scout troop had a great time. Yes, I do read old logs on caches we do from time to time. Maybe, just give it some time and consider coming to an event and go caching in a group.

Please don't give up something you like, because of an unseemly character.

So, at the risk of sounding snarky, let me preface this by saying I have very little compassion in many circumstances.

Let me get this straight.

You have an activity that you enjoy. Something bad happened during this activity, so you are quitting this activity?

That means the drunk guy wins. If the drunk guy wins then what does that make you?

YOU need to WIN this battle or forever be a victim. Don't let this idjit control you. Take control of this situation and empower yourself with the knowledge that YOU are a WINNER.

OR, you can go hide in a hole because one day out of the XX thousand days of your life, something bad happened.

It's your choice.

AND, sue the drunk guy for whatever he doesn't have. Behavior like this deserves to be punished and since it's illegal to set him on fire, sue him.

I wouldn't have put it quite so bluntly, but I think bittsen is on the right track here.

Unfortunately, I've run into a number of people like this drunk. While their actions were out of line, and sure weren't fun, I didn't stop dirt biking or mountain biking or driving my car, just because someone was a complete jerk.

An incident like this can sour your perspective on society as a whole, if you let it. There ARE complete jerks in this world, that we'd be better off without. There are also A LOT of very cool, very nice people to meet and enjoy spending time with. Fortunately, the number of great folks out there is a lot higher than the jerks.

Keep doing things you like, but be prepared for possible unpleasant encounters in whatever you do. You could accidentally ding someone's car door in a parking lot, and have them fly into a rage and come after you with a baseball bat. People with anger issues are a threat no matter where you go, so take precautions, and then go on out and enjoy life.

Don't let the jerks sour you!

SNIP

This oft-quoted bit of advice doesn't exactly take into account what the man in the situation would have been leaving behind for the drunk to beat on. Oh yeah -- that would be his wife (crippled) and son.

Great advice.

Deal with jerks like this appropriately. Don't shoot them -- that's dumb, and not a reasonable response. Hose them down with pepper spray, call the police, and press charges for assault and battery. He'll have a very unpleasant time from the spray, hopefully go back to jail where he belongs, and the world will be better off.