Can I do this?

estrelle

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to caching. I've found 25 and hidden one. I have a really cool idea for a hide, but I want to know first whether it would be alright. I don't want to put the effort into making this if it will not be allowed. Here's the idea: Seekers are given coordinates for a location, at which there is a container with strips of paper that have numbers written with lemon juice. The seekers take a strip for North and a strip for West. They then move to a second location (which they are given coordinates for), and at this second location is a lighter or other heat source (such as?) and a container of water, which they will have open and ready just in case the paper catches fire. The seekers hold the flame under each strip of paper, turning the lemon juice brown to reveal the two sets of numbers they must add to given dummy coordinates for the final location. At the second location (with the lighter), there is also a rolled-up scroll with the numbers written in plain ink, in the event the seekers cannot reveal the lemon juice invisible ink.

What do you think? Will I get approval for a hide that involves using a lighter? Any suggestions for something else I could use as a heat source, or a better way of doing invisible ink (apart from buying an invisible ink set--I'd rather not buy something like that if I don't have to). Apparently vinegar writing will be revealed with cabbage water, but I worry the cabbage water would go rancid.

Thank you!

~jessica

A lighter in a cache is a no-no.

I've been thinking about doing this type of cache, but making it less obvious as to what the cacher needs to do (blank sheets of paper, no hints, etc). However, the cache description would make reference to "sympathetic ink" (what they used to call invisible ink) and secret codes of the American Revolution. The problem always comes down to the heat source. I guess if you don't leave it in the cache, and let them figure out a heat source, it may fly.

Another "ink" is a solution of water and ferrous sulfate. You can find it in your drug store as iron supplements. grind some up and mix with water. I tried it and it works pretty well. Of course, I didn't try writing out a set of coordinates 20+ times!

Another option is UV ink and a UV flashlight. Here's one from NEWEGG.

Good luck!

A lighter in a cache is a no-no.

I've been thinking about doing this type of cache, but making it less obvious as to what the cacher needs to do (blank sheets of paper, no hints, etc). However, the cache description would make reference to "sympathetic ink" (what they used to call invisible ink) and secret codes of the American Revolution. The problem always comes down to the heat source. I guess if you don't leave it in the cache, and let them figure out a heat source, it may fly.

Another "ink" is a solution of water and ferrous sulfate. You can find it in your drug store as iron supplements. grind some up and mix with water. I tried it and it works pretty well. Of course, I didn't try writing out a set of coordinates 20+ times!

Another option is UV ink and a UV flashlight. Here's one from NEWEGG.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I'm really trying not to have to spend more than $10 at the most. My college student budget (and very frugal boyfriend) forbids anything more than that. :laughing: How would the water-ferrous sulfate be rendered?

I've been turning this over in my head for awhile, and I tend to conclude that the cache should be at some location with a built-in heat source, such as lights at a low height..? It's very difficult to find available hide locations in my area, much less ones with lights that would suit these needs.

The all-natural invisible ink methods I've found all seem to require either heat or some organic substance to be rendered, which may go bad and/or attract wildlife. Know of anything else?

Look up this series:

Twiddlesticks GC1H83Q

It used tongue depressor sticks with the clues on them. There were two puzzles going on at the same time in the series. We had a ball working all the puzzle steps.

Was there invisible ink of some sort used in this series?

Look up this series:

Twiddlesticks GC1H83Q

It used tongue depressor sticks with the clues on them. There were two puzzles going on at the same time in the series. We had a ball working all the puzzle steps.

No, but the clues for the finals were not in order either. You had to do all the caches to get all the clues, then put the clues in order to get the finals.

You have to remember that chemicals will degrade over time, this means more maintenance for you. The Twiddlesticks series is out in the country, probably 15 miles from town, down a typical dirt/rock country road. We got to the first cache about 11ish and left the finals about 3ish, so that's 4 hours to drive and walk and find all the steps.

If I recall correctly, each cache had about 12 sticks in it, all with the same clue. So after say 10 finds the final is visited, the clue sticks retrieved, and redistributed among the caches.

Edited by ngrrfan

well sounds like a great idea however i do not see the container of water surviving too long

also if you are going to provide the coordinates on that scroll its extremely likely that people won't bother doing the extra work with the lighter, thus kinda "killing" your original idea

i know nothing of the permanency of lemon juice on paper, do you know how long is viable for?

as i said, i like the idea, but maybe take a bit of time and research any other possibilities of putting your plan in action

why not simply tell people to bring a lighter or other heat source along with them?

I assume that would be no more likely to be approved than if the lighter were provided. I don't think the issue is that I give them a lighter, but rather that they'd be encouraged to use one. I guess I could just say "heat source" and leave them to their own devices, but I'd also hoped to make the seekers obtain both the secret messages and the device to solve them. Right now I'm considering a baking soda water solution revealed with grape juice, but I'll have to make the grape juice airtight.

Look up this series:

Twiddlesticks GC1H83Q

No, but the clues for the finals were not in order either. You had to do all the caches to get all the clues, then put the clues in order to get the finals.

You have to remember that chemicals will degrade over time, this means more maintenance for you. The Twiddlesticks series is out in the country, probably 15 miles from town, down a typical dirt/rock country road. We got to the first cache about 11ish and left the finals about 3ish, so that's 4 hours to drive and walk and find all the steps.

If I recall correctly, each cache had about 12 sticks in it, all with the same clue. So after say 10 finds the final is visited, the clue sticks retrieved, and redistributed among the caches.

Interesting! I like that as an alternative way to make things complicated and adventurous :laughing:

I found a method of invisible writing which involves ink of a baking soda-water solution, which is revealed when brushed with grape juice (I would provide q-tips and a plastic baggy). If the grape juice were well sealed, perhaps in a container inside another container, would it attract critters? Would it go bad?

You guys are so helpful!

why not simply tell people to bring a lighter or other heat source along with them?

I assume that would be no more likely to be approved than if the lighter were provided. I don't think the issue is that I give them a lighter, but rather that they'd be encouraged to use one. I guess I could just say "heat source" and leave them to their own devices, but I'd also hoped to make the seekers obtain both the secret messages and the device to solve them. Right now I'm considering a baking soda water solution revealed with grape juice, but I'll have to make the grape juice airtight.

Very interesting concept, and I also congratulate you for thinking outside of the cliche. The lighter issue has already been covered, so I will focus my reply on another consideration. I haven't checked on what part of the country/world you are in, but where I'm from, a cache can easily get 50 - 200 hits in a year. Are you ready to prepare as many invisible ink strips as you need to? Will you be OK with running out there to replace them when they go missing?

Also realize that you will need to make absolutely sure that your paper strips don't get wet or even damp enough to cause the "ink" to run.

I think your idea has a lot of merit, but that it also has a lot of possible complications that you need to think through first.

I found a method of invisible writing which involves ink of a baking soda-water solution, which is revealed when brushed with grape juice (I would provide q-tips and a plastic baggy). If the grape juice were well sealed, perhaps in a container inside another container, would it attract critters? Would it go bad?

You guys are so helpful!

you may end up with a container full of wine after a while ;)

or maybe vinegar :laughing:

Edited by dfx

Very interesting concept, and I also congratulate you for thinking outside of the cliche. The lighter issue has already been covered, so I will focus my reply on another consideration. I haven't checked on what part of the country/world you are in, but where I'm from, a cache can easily get 50 - 200 hits in a year. Are you ready to prepare as many invisible ink strips as you need to? Will you be OK with running out there to replace them when they go missing?

Also realize that you will need to make absolutely sure that your paper strips don't get wet or even damp enough to cause the "ink" to run.

I think your idea has a lot of merit, but that it also has a lot of possible complications that you need to think through first.

I am trying to think through everything. I'm in Portland, Oregon, which can get wet so I would be sure to make the strips water-tight. I am indeed prepared to make many strips, replenishing as necessary. I have in mind a potential location very close to home. Your comments do make me realize that seekers would have to be warned not to get strips wet when they're removed from their container. Thanks!

You guys are so helpful!

you may end up with a container full of wine after a while ;)

or maybe vinegar :laughing:

That would be awesome, but how could you keep people from drinking the wine? Then they'd never find the cache and I'd never have the satisfaction of knowing someone enjoyed finding my hide. lol

One way to make it work for you would be to use an invisible "ink" that merely changes the translucency of the paper. There are many chemical ways to do this.

The easiest, by far, would be to get some varathane and use some sort of device to "write" with it (a Q-tip might work well). Look for the water based stuff as its easy to clean up.

Once it dries you will be able to detect the writing by either viewing the paper at an angle or holding it up to light.

And remember, folks, practice makes perfect.

I'm considering a baking soda water solution revealed with grape juice, but I'll have to make the grape juice airtight.

Toy stores sell "spy pens" that have stable chemicals built-in. One pen writes "invisibly", the other reveals the writing. A flame from a lighter darkens the writing, too. But see if you can eliminate the need for fire.

You could instead print clues obscured by a grid of color (often red is used for this), where holding the print under a colored cellophane filter reveals the clue.

I've been trying out ultraviolet inks. There are even ultraviolet ink stamp pads available. You use a UV LED penlight (or a "black light") to reveal the message. It's possible to have the penlight available in the cache stage, and I'd expect it to be less maintenance than grape juice.

I wouldn't make it so there are liquids to fiddle with at all, particularly with the chance of them freezing in the winter. Maybe that won't be an issue in your situation.

Edited by kunarion

One way to make it work for you would be to use an invisible "ink" that merely changes the translucency of the paper. There are many chemical ways to do this.

The easiest, by far, would be to get some varathane and use some sort of device to "write" with it (a Q-tip might work well). Look for the water based stuff as its easy to clean up.

Once it dries you will be able to detect the writing by either viewing the paper at an angle or holding it up to light.

And remember, folks, practice makes perfect.

I'll research more about the varathane, but it seems like I could achieve that effect by other methods. I'm looking to make a bit more of a challenge..

Stumptown in the house!

I'm considering a baking soda water solution revealed with grape juice, but I'll have to make the grape juice airtight.

Toy stores sell "spy pens" that have stable chemicals built-in. One pen writes "invisibly", the other reveals the writing. A flame from a lighter darkens the writing, too. But see if you can eliminate the need for fire.

You could instead print clues obscured by a grid of color (often red is used for this), where holding the print under a colored cellophane filter reveals the clue.

I've been trying out ultraviolet inks. There are even ultraviolet ink stamp pads available. You use a UV LED penlight (or a "black light") to reveal the message. It's possible to have the penlight available in the cache stage, and I'd expect it to be less maintenance than grape juice.

I wouldn't make it so there are liquids to fiddle with at all, particularly with the chance of them freezing in the winter. Maybe that won't be an issue in your situation.

You're right about freezing danger. I hadn't thought about that! Thank you! This might be the perfect time to put out a seasonal cache and remove it come cold weather.

I am looking to spend minimal money, and to use an all-natural, vegan option if possible.

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to caching. I've found 25 and hidden one. I have a really cool idea for a hide, but I want to know first whether it would be alright. I don't want to put the effort into making this if it will not be allowed. Here's the idea: Seekers are given coordinates for a location, at which there is a container with strips of paper that have numbers written with lemon juice. The seekers take a strip for North and a strip for West. They then move to a second location (which they are given coordinates for), and at this second location is a lighter or other heat source (such as?) and a container of water, which they will have open and ready just in case the paper catches fire. The seekers hold the flame under each strip of paper, turning the lemon juice brown to reveal the two sets of numbers they must add to given dummy coordinates for the final location. At the second location (with the lighter), there is also a rolled-up scroll with the numbers written in plain ink, in the event the seekers cannot reveal the lemon juice invisible ink.

What do you think? Will I get approval for a hide that involves using a lighter? Any suggestions for something else I could use as a heat source, or a better way of doing invisible ink (apart from buying an invisible ink set--I'd rather not buy something like that if I don't have to). Apparently vinegar writing will be revealed with cabbage water, but I worry the cabbage water would go rancid.

Thank you!

Something to think about: what if one of your seekers is allergic to lemons and gets sick after touching the paper?

I love on-site puzzles. It sounds like you've got some very interesting ideas. I wish I lived in your area.

Please consider the longevity of your cache materials. The owners of local caches that use fluorescent paints (visible under UV light) need to refresh the paint on a regular basis. The invisible ink ideas you've suggested would involve consumable clue sheets, and they sound very sensitive to water damage. You would need to keep making more clue sheets whenever seekers use them up, and whenever the cache gets muggled or damaged by water.

Grape juice is food. In addition to turning to vinegar, it will attract critters, and they will destroy the cache container to get to the food inside. Also, my experience is that putting any liquids in a cache can ruin everything in the cache when the bottles leak.

I like the idea of a heat-activated clue, and leaving it to seekers to figure out how to provide the necessary heat. The only reusable idea that comes to mind is the material used for color-changing thermometers. But I'm not sure how to use it for this purpose. HTH.

The best suggestion so far. :laughing:

Smokey The Bear really dislikes lighters and strips of paper in the woods, that's a combination begging for a disaster.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

As others mentioned the guidelines don't allow lighters in caches. They don't address the need to bring a lighter, but some reviewers may interpret that as a guideline violation. You will need to ask your reviewer ahead of time if he thinks it's OK

My chief concern would be someone setting the forest on fire if conditions are dry so I would make sure the stage that requires heat is on pavement or a large rock outcrop where there are no leaves, duff or pine needles.

There is a multi-stage puzzle cache here on LI (Sight Unseen) where there are either tools in the various stages or tells you what exactly you have to bring out with you to attempt to solve the puzzles at the various stages (weather it was water or a blanket needed to solve a puzzle to get to next stage). I would not put a lighter or matches in the cache itself, perhaps you can ask the cacher to bring it with them and be responsible with it

Just thought I would note that a heatsource does not truly work. It is very difficult to reveal lemon juice without starting a fire without a candle. Something in the candle allows it to be revealed before it burns. My wife and I tried this many times as a demonstration for her class that she teaches. The only thing we could safely do to reveal the secret message was to use a candle. Even then it is not something I would do in an uncontrolled environment especially by someone who has not done it before.

Why not try it with invisible ink and use a reveal ink in another cache?

I know of THE perfect solution. It requires literally nothing but a pencil and a paper to hide the information... Basically you get two pieces of paper, have them each on top of each other. Write the coordinates on one and push firmly, but not too much or you'll make it too obvious/rip the paper. Throw away the first paper you were righting on. Now look, seems like nothing is on the paper right? No! Just shade over it with a pencil and your hidden writing will be revealed.

For clarification see this video.

I know of THE perfect solution. It requires literally nothing but a pencil and a paper to hide the information... Basically you get two pieces of paper, have them each on top of each other. Write the coordinates on one and push firmly, but not too much or you'll make it too obvious/rip the paper. Throw away the first paper you were righting on. Now look, seems like nothing is on the paper right? No! Just shade over it with a pencil and your hidden writing will be revealed.

That's in interesting thought. It still involves delicate pieces of paper that will have to be replenished, but there's no fire or anything that will spoil..people could cheat by holding up the paper at an angle, or just using their own pencil without going to a second spot, but maybe that would be okay...maybe they could even be told simply to bring their own pencil (and that it must be a pencil), thinking that the location with the strips is the final, but lo and behold if they want to find the true final it's embedded on the strips...? In that event, when reading the description, they might not know how special the find is, though. One problem with the cache that I have hidden already is that although it's a really easy multi, it doesn't get a lot of traffic. I was hoping to attract lots of visitors. I love creating a fun experience for others :laughing: I don't know if getting more visitors means making things easier or more difficult. lol

Just thought I would note that a heatsource does not truly work. It is very difficult to reveal lemon juice without starting a fire without a candle. Something in the candle allows it to be revealed before it burns. My wife and I tried this many times as a demonstration for her class that she teaches. The only thing we could safely do to reveal the secret message was to use a candle. Even then it is not something I would do in an uncontrolled environment especially by someone who has not done it before.

Why not try it with invisible ink and use a reveal ink in another cache?

That's good to know, thank you. I'd been considering researching the science experiment from 5th grade that involved creating electricity with a potato (I think..) and tell cachers to bring a potato...or supply potatoes...lol I'm hazy on the particulars of that one.

I know invisible ink is the obvious solution, but I really don't want to spend much money, and I'd like to use an all-natural and vegan method if possible. I don't know what the invisible ink is made of, but in any event it isn't as cheap as I would really like.

Regarding concerns about fire danger: this cache would be placed in an area with minimal risk of setting a forest ablaze. However, I think the suggestions involving fire have been put to bed anyway. :laughing: Also out: grape juice. Would it be out of the question to use wine instead to reveal a baking soda code? Again, any container holding foodstuff would be well-sealed, perhaps in a container inside another container, and all by itself. Spoilage is a bigger concern.

General note: I am willing to maintain the cache frequently. I bicycle past the place almost daily. I am willing to create more strips and replenish them as needed. I would prefer to use a method that is cheap, natural, and vegan. Easier is better, but I can compromise on that. Some more info about the colored-grid concept would be appreciated ;) I'm not sure I fully understand it right now. Would special equipment be needed?

That's in interesting thought. It still involves delicate pieces of paper that will have to be replenished, but there's no fire or anything that will spoil..people could cheat by holding up the paper at an angle, or just using their own pencil without going to a second spot, but maybe that would be okay...maybe they could even be told simply to bring their own pencil (and that it must be a pencil), thinking that the location with the strips is the final, but lo and behold if they want to find the true final it's embedded on the strips...? In that event, when reading the description, they might not know how special the find is, though. One problem with the cache that I have hidden already is that although it's a really easy multi, it doesn't get a lot of traffic. I was hoping to attract lots of visitors. I love creating a fun experience for others :laughing: I don't know if getting more visitors means making things easier or more difficult. lol

Couldn't they cheat with the fire strips if they brought a heat source? The only way to stop cheating is by making the answer unnoticeable. With geocachers i don't think that is really possible...

There is a multi-stage puzzle cache here on LI (Sight Unseen) where there are either tools in the various stages or tells you what exactly you have to bring out with you to attempt to solve the puzzles at the various stages (weather it was water or a blanket needed to solve a puzzle to get to next stage). I would not put a lighter or matches in the cache itself, perhaps you can ask the cacher to bring it with them and be responsible with it

Someone mentioned asking people to bring lighters, and I think that got ruled out as being really no different from providing the lighter. I could ask people to bring grape juice, or I could just say "heat source", but it seems like not every heat source will do. I worry about people not doing the cache if it involves bringing something like grape juice, which they might have to run to the store to get. Would people be attracted by the added layer, and wondering what the juice is for, or would they be deterred by the prospect of an errand? In other words, do complications attract or repel cachers? I like your thinking!

Thanks again for all of your input, everyone!

Couldn't they cheat with the fire strips if they brought a heat source? The only way to stop cheating is by making the answer unnoticeable. With geocachers i don't think that is really possible...

Theoretically, if we're going with the method of providing a code and providing something to reveal the code, they would just take strips from the first location without being told what will be used to make the ink visible. It would only be at the second location they would get the lighter or grape juice with explanation of how the code is rendered.

At present, the most viable option seems to be using strips of paper with writing pressed into them, revealed with a pencil rubbed over the imprint. In order to make the game equally fun for all parties, they would have to be told not to bring a pencil, and then get a pencil from a secondary location (in hopes everyone plays by the rules), or to bring a pencil or be given a pencil at the site with the strips, eliminating the need for a second location at which to get an item to render the code. So that second choice would go like this: they would go to the coordinates with code and pencil, render the code, then either add a coded number to dummy coordinates or the code is the coordinates of the final location. Would it be better to let people know ahead of time that the hide is multi-stage, or let them figure it out with a short note at the initial coordinates telling them how to reveal the code? I worry that just giving papers and a pencil would leave people clueless and they would sign the strips. lol Some explanation is required, I think.

At present, the most viable option seems to be using strips of paper with writing pressed into them, revealed with a pencil rubbed over the imprint.

I had a Multi once that included some Braille encoded Stages along the way. I bought some relatively inexpensive adhesive labels that were already embossed with the Braille alphabet for the purpose.

I would go with UV ink

you can make a stamper to mass produce your strips with and wally world sells the little blue led finger lights for a buck.

you can get an ounce of indelible blue for $5.00 on ebay and that ounce will go a long way.

They have more than enough UV emissions to cause a UV reactive ink to fluoresce.

I'm nowhere near being an expert in UV but I will go as far as to say playing with it and is usage in magic effects is a passion of mine.

Note the non photoshopped avatar.

Two more great ideas! I will have to ruminate on them. I'd thought a UV ink set would be more expensive.

The problem with UV lights is that if they get wet at all your screwed. You need to make sure you have a REALLY good seal on your container, then you have to make sure everyone seals it correctly. Not to mention constant needs maintenance because of the batteries running out, or the uv light getting wet.

If you were to use the strips with the writing indent on it and you didn't want people to cheat the best thing to do is allow them to bring a pencil. Don't tell them not to or they'll know what to try. What you should do is word you cache description like this.

"Get your paper strips from the first Cache, in the second you'll have the method to reveal it." All you would put in the second would be a pencil and nothing else. If you had other objects it would distract them from the method that needs to be used. If you use the above wording they probably won't try to cheat because they will assume the second box is the only way to reveal it. Nobody would think, "It tells me to go to the second cache, why don't I try doing everything I can to figure out this piece of paper before I go there."

Two more great ideas! I will have to ruminate on them. I'd thought a UV ink set would be more expensive.

The problem with UV lights is that if they get wet at all your screwed. You need to make sure you have a REALLY good seal on your container, then you have to make sure everyone seals it correctly. Not to mention constant needs maintenance because of the batteries running out, or the uv light getting wet.

If you were to use the strips with the writing indent on it and you didn't want people to cheat the best thing to do is allow them to bring a pencil. Don't tell them not to or they'll know what to try. What you should do is word you cache description like this.

"Get your paper strips from the first Cache, in the second you'll have the method to reveal it." All you would put in the second would be a pencil and nothing else. If you had other objects it would distract them from the method that needs to be used. If you use the above wording they probably won't try to cheat because they will assume the second box is the only way to reveal it. Nobody would think, "It tells me to go to the second cache, why don't I try doing everything I can to figure out this piece of paper before I go there."

I wonder if people would see the indentation, figure it out, and not bother to go to the second spot. I think this method is pretty well-known... but I do like the idea a lot. I think it's my favorite right now. Boyfriend is balking at spending even $6 + shipping for a UV set, apart from the issues you mentioned. Would you say the second spot should have some kind of instruction with the pencil? If they didn't already know what to do, I wouldn't think they'd figure it out after being given a pencil and no directions.

It takes money to properly maintain a cache. Even without the puzzle elements, the basic things you need to put out a cache are going to approach $10. Good containers aren't cheap, and you also need a logbook, plastic baggies, writing implements, etc. Unless it's a micro, many cachers will expect to see swag to trade as well.

With only 25 finds, you haven't seen a wide range of good and bad caches yet. It's great that you're enthusiastic and wish to contribute by putting out a cache, but it may be best in the long run if you stick to finding caches for a while until you have more experience and knowledge. Or try putting out just a traditional cache first, so you can learn first-hand what's expected of you in terms of maintenance.

(As an aside, I'm a little alarmed at the amount of control your boyfriend seems to have over your discretionary spending, but I guess we all need to learn these relationship lessons in our own way.)

It takes money to properly maintain a cache. Even without the puzzle elements, the basic things you need to put out a cache are going to approach $10. Good containers aren't cheap, and you also need a logbook, plastic baggies, writing implements, etc. Unless it's a micro, many cachers will expect to see swag to trade as well.

With only 25 finds, you haven't seen a wide range of good and bad caches yet. It's great that you're enthusiastic and wish to contribute by putting out a cache, but it may be best in the long run if you stick to finding caches for a while until you have more experience and knowledge. Or try putting out just a traditional cache first, so you can learn first-hand what's expected of you in terms of maintenance.

(As an aside, I'm a little alarmed at the amount of control your boyfriend seems to have over your discretionary spending, but I guess we all need to learn these relationship lessons in our own way.)

I'm aware that it takes money and care to place a cache, I'm simply trying to minimize the money aspect. We already have many of the materials you mentioned. As I stated in my first post, I have placed a simple multi, with good results. I've been maintaining it just fine, no problems and many happy finds reported.

As far as my boyfriend's control over my spending..it seems like I should divulge a little more info about that. "Boyfriend" may not be the right the word. He is my Dom and I am his collared submissive. We are in a 24/7 Dominance/submission (BDSM/kink) relationship. His control over me is consensual and carefully negotiated. You may also be comforted to know I'm slightly older than you might assume, given that I've mentioned being a college student. I'll be 26 in May. I don't believe I need to learn a relationship lesson, at least not in the way you suggest. I am a big girl, and this is my choice, but I appreciate your concern, I suppose. :laughing: