iPhone and geocaching ?

runningafter3

Even when using a regular gps, it will only get you to about 5 - 25 feet from the cache. An iphone is a bit less accurate than using a gps. Yes, it can be a bit frustrating, but you can get used to it.

When you get to the cache area, just stop looking at the phone and look around at your surroundings. Ask yourself, "where would I hide a cache here?". Make sure you know how big the cache is, and if you have a tough time, also look at the hint, and perhaps the last few cache logs and pictures.

Wouldnt be so sure, its meant to use up to date data but mine is forever telling me caches are inactive when they aren't so I wouldnt rely on the data being 100% accurate. It done it 3 times to me a day ago!!

are you using the saved caches? that hasn't happened to me yet. Though I did get "hung up" on loading the cache details in search and saved mode.

Generally, with every GPS whether a Garmin, iLowrance, iPhone the GPS gets you in the immediate vicinity. Exact locations +/- 1 foot are very unlikely due to cloud interference, tree coverage, or even the hider using a different GPS model than what you have.

Thats why we develop Geo-Sense. You figure out where the cache is through process of elimination. Besides, how much fun would it be if you just walked up to a cache all the time? I can tell you from spome power runs I have done, not much.

Went out for our first search today. We used the app on the iphone. The phone only got us within 30 feet of the cache. Is the point to get to the basic area and then search, or should the coordinates get us right to the cache? It was kinda of frustrating.

30 feet is excellent for an iLost ... I mean iPhone, which is rapidly gaining a reputation for leading people far astray of where they should be. Seems that as long is it has good satellite locks AND a good cell/3G connection, it can give acceptable results (and within 30 feet is considered acceptable). But if it looses one or the other, it can lead you far afield. I've heard of people being a mile or two away from the right location.

Here's a few FAQ entries I wrote a long time ago:

Why isn't the cache where my GPS says it should be?

The general accuracy of most handheld GPS devices is around 15 to 25 feet. Remember though you have might have to add your potential error to any error the cache owner had when placing the cache. That means you could easily find yourself looking for a cache up to 50 feet from where your unit says ground zero is. Most of the time you will find them within 20 feet or less but do be prepared to widen your search. Put the GPS away when you are within 20 feet or so and start looking for likely hiding spots.

Back off and re-approach the area if necessary to verify you are looking in the right spot.

Tips for finding Caches:

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

Nice FAQ, StarBrand!

I have an iPhone and the app myself, and it's usually a lot less accurate than my Garmin handheld. I'd say 30ft off is about average. The GPS in your phone is simply not as strong/accurate as a regular handheld.

That said, with practice, you will find it useful. Be patient and keep trying! :) And if you phone keeps saying you're within 30ft of a given cache, put it away and just try using what we like to call "geo-senses".

Good luck and have fun!

I've been caching since 2003, and have had half a dozen different units.. for the past year, I have used an iPhone almost exclusively (about 90% of the time) and have NEVER gotten this mile off deviation that others have allegedly reported.. I live in in the Northwest with heavy tree cover, and the iPhone has often gotten me to within a few feet of the GZ.. it doesn't work well in heavy urban areas, or extremely heavy overhead tree cover, and it's a bit slow to update at times, but with a little patience, it's a very adequate tool.. I also know of several others that use iPhone exclusively..

Hi, I don't want to hijack the thread but have a query about using an iphone too. tried to use it to look for my first cache & basically it told me there was no connection nearby. I thought I should be able to use it. Have I get the phone settings wrong or can I set it to use the 3g network rather than wirelss which I think it was trying to use

Thanks

Nicola

Nice FAQ, StarBrand!

I have an iPhone and the app myself, and it's usually a lot less accurate than my Garmin handheld. I'd say 30ft off is about average. The GPS in your phone is simply not as strong/accurate as a regular handheld.

That said, with practice, you will find it useful. Be patient and keep trying! :) And if you phone keeps saying you're within 30ft of a given cache, put it away and just try using what we like to call "geo-senses".

Good luck and have fun!

I tend to disagree with the iPhone being "not as strong/accurate", at least the strong part. Last year I met a couple coming out of the woods where I was about to turn in. I asked if they were geocaching, then if they had found it. Their answers were 'yes' then 'No - lost the signal in the tree cover'. I mentioned I was heading in, with my iPhone, and they were welcome to follow if they wanted. Without any cell service to back up the GPS, The iPhone pointed me right to the cache.

Nice FAQ, StarBrand!

Good luck and have fun!

I tend to disagree with the iPhone being "not as strong/accurate", at least the strong part. Last year I met a couple coming out of the woods where I was about to turn in. I asked if they were geocaching, then if they had found it. Their answers were 'yes' then 'No - lost the signal in the tree cover'. I mentioned I was heading in, with my iPhone, and they were welcome to follow if they wanted. Without any cell service to back up the GPS, The iPhone pointed me right to the cache.

Nice FAQ, StarBrand!

Good luck and have fun!