Moss

Does anyone have a good recipie for getting moss to grow on things? I have these concrete containers that i made last year, and I would like to grow moss over them so they don't stand out when hidden. I looked up a technique online but it didn't work. The technique was to blend moss with buttermilk and paint it on to the surface. I left my mossy buttermilk painted containers right next to where i got the moss from for over a year and nothing happened.

New Product! - Moss Milkshake™ - Just mix with water (or beer!) – it will stick to most anything, including bare soil, stone, and weathered concrete

Hypnum moss is ground dry and then blended with a proprietary mixture of growth stimulants including powdered buttermilk, along with water retention gel and then packaged in an air-tight half gallon milk carton. Coverage rate is typically 10 square feet or more. Alternatively the mix can be sprinkled about dry and then watered in. Indefinite shelf life.

http://www.mossacres.com/product_moss_starter.asp

Growing Decorative Mosses in Your Garden

mossgarden.jpg

New Product! - Moss Milkshake™ - Just mix with water (or beer!) – it will stick to most anything, including bare soil, stone, and weathered concrete

Hypnum moss is ground dry and then blended with a proprietary mixture of growth stimulants including powdered buttermilk, along with water retention gel and then packaged in an air-tight half gallon milk carton. Coverage rate is typically 10 square feet or more. Alternatively the mix can be sprinkled about dry and then watered in. Indefinite shelf life.

http://www.mossacres.com/product_moss_starter.asp

Growing Decorative Mosses in Your Garden

mossgarden.jpg

Water crystals, why didn't I think of that?

Once they are hydrated they will blend nicely.

I just remembered some more.

Give the object your trying to grow it on a good vinegar bath. This will help reduce the ph on the surface giving moss a better chance at survival. Not the cheap wally world stuff either, use a higher quality brand.

If the vinegar foams when it is applied you know you never had a chance to grow moss on it due to alkalinity.

Keep the planter in a water tray will help to grow, capillary action will go part way up and the moss will develop faster, as the moss develops it will help bring water up higher.

As mentioned before, misting it to keep to much water from washing the mix off, you may even want to consider guarding it from rain.

Why is it so hard to make new things look old anyway?

Do you have kids? :P

Would be interesting to know the results of your experiment.

lol yes i do have 1 kid.

I'll keep you posted on the results i'll get some pics here soon. btw does anyone know how long it takes moss to grow?