Somerset Geocoin

Gamma Ray

Hello folks i thought i would kind of X-post this here, I have been toying with the idea of a Geocoin for the County of Somerset in the UK. County coins are few and far between in the UK (or so it seems), and it appears Somerset has never had one of its own.I have come up with 2 basic ideas so far with the intent to produce ONE coin.

Back-and-front-1-Mark-2-web.gif

and:

Back-and-front-Glasto.gif

The front of the coin (ignore any red spots it was an image compression thing) shows a dragon with a mace which is the county emblem from the assumed county flag (there is no "official flag for Somerset) in the county colours with the county motto and its English translation with a couple of geocaching Xs for decoration (the grey background will actually be a rich cream colour)

The enamel will not be flushed, but very very slightly recessed so as to give the coin some feel.

the reverse of the first coin shows the county in-situe by the sea and an apple with a geocaching X in it.

Apples relate to Cider and Somerset is known world wide as the home of it.

Everything in Yellow is the polished gold finish to the coin.

the reverse of the coin is a quick and dirty mock up with Glastonbury Tor (a famous Somerset landmark)

this would be in relief recessed into the coin.

What do people think?

in general im looking for suggestions on how to improve it and more importantly would people buy it?

(as i would need to cover any costs really!)

What do you like to see in regional coins?

1.5" or 1.75"?

Edited by SDewer

Nice coin.

I would make the gold dots equal on both sides of the coin to start - it kinda looks odd having 6 on the back and only 2 on the front - it would be more uniform.

I also would rethink the font for "Welcome to Cider Country", as the font selection for the 'y' runs into the edge, or maybe just adjust the placement to move away from the edge.

I would add texture to the recessed area of the front (around the dragon in the grey space), and also to the back if you intend on using translucent enamels for the sea and the county itself.

If you intend on using the 3D back, you also need to put 'trackable at...' on that side, unless you have an edge die created - but if you have tracking placed on the edge, go all the way and move the tracking number itself on the edge, and close up the maroon enamel at the bottom (where the current tracking number is placed).

Food for thought and JMHO!

~J

Edited to add: In regards to size: If you go 3D on the back, it's better translated on a larger coin, where more detail can be obtained.

Edited by GeocoinGuy

Nice coin.

I would make the gold dots equal on both sides of the coin to start - it kinda looks odd having 6 on the back and only 2 on the front - it would be more uniform.

I also would rethink the font for "Welcome to Cider Country", as the font selection for the 'y' runs into the edge, or maybe just adjust the placement to move away from the edge.

I would add texture to the recessed area of the front (around the dragon in the grey space), and also to the back if you intend on using translucent enamels for the sea and the county itself.

If you intend on using the 3D back, you also need to put 'trackable at...' on that side, unless you have an edge die created - but if you have tracking placed on the edge, go all the way and move the tracking number itself on the edge, and close up the maroon enamel at the bottom (where the current tracking number is placed).

Food for thought and JMHO!

~J

I will even up the dots on bot sides, i think that works too.

the text spacing is something that would be sorted (these images are just really quick jobbies that i threw together) and the font is exactly the same as the above i think, however i think its my error in pressing bold or hitting the scroll wheel accidentally increasing the size.

What do you mean texture around the dragon? the recessed area around the dragon isn't actually recessed so to speak, it will be a cream enamel (Cream and Maroon are the counties main colours)

The 3d back idea is just an idea that was really quickly mocked up (the only reason there is no trackable at.. on there. (there were thoughts in the UK forums that another coin produced for the 2nd UK mega event uses a cider theme and to go with a landmark instead)

I hadn't thought about translucent enamels, what were your thoughts? which of the 2 coins would you prefer?

I'm looking to get as many opinions as possible.

Edited by SDewer

I will even up the dots on bot sides, i think that works too.

the text spacing is something that would be sorted (these images are just really quick jobbies that i threw together) and the font is exactly the same as the above i think, however i think its my error in pressing bold or hitting the scroll wheel accidentally increasing the size.

What do you mean texture around the dragon? the recessed area around the dragon isn't actually recessed so to speak, it will be a cream enamel (Cream and Maroon are the counties main colours)

The 3d back idea is just an idea that was really quickly mocked up (the only reason there is no trackable at.. on there. (there were thoughts in the UK forums that another coin produced for the 2nd UK mega event uses a cider theme and to go with a landmark instead)

I hadn't thought about translucent enamels, what were your thoughts? which of the 2 coins would you prefer?

I'm looking to get as many opinions as possible.

I thought the area around the dragon was recessed metal, not cream enamel (could be these tired eyes!)

I like both versions actually.. but if you go with the 2D back, I would make the blue and light green (county) translucent, along with the red in the apple. I would make the Gx in half-raised metal under the translucent red. I would put texture #12 (waves) under the translucent blue for the sea, and texture #3 (med. sandblasted) under the light green for the county.

~J

I thought the area around the dragon was recessed metal, not cream enamel (could be these tired eyes!)

I like both versions actually.. but if you go with the 2D back, I would make the blue and light green (county) translucent, along with the red in the apple. I would make the Gx in half-raised metal under the translucent red. I would put texture #12 (waves) under the translucent blue for the sea, and texture #3 (med. sandblasted) under the light green for the county.

Have you got links to any examples of the textures you have mentioned?

nice design work so far! i believe your coin will be popular. especially in europe, where regional geocoins are very much collected. i personally like the "landmark" theme, with a 3D design. however, a 3D area means no color, so it limits your options. although i think the 3D is quite classic when done properly. if you have the budget to afford more options, i would go with edge texting for the "track at..." wording and the tracking number. this gives you a cleaner and less cluttered design and puts the emphasis on your main features.

keep us posted on all the fine tuning details. i am looking forward to seeing this one evolve. cheers! :D

I like the first one best (and the ideas you got.) the other one doesn't do anything for me. But I think the yellow tone on the picture might be part of the problem. It messed with my eyes. Do you have a picture that is from another angle? Close up on the castle with the vastness of the area and skyline showing behind. I really think it would look great if the foreground took up about a quarter of the right side and bottom and the back ground took up the rest. Maybe even something like (I don't have time to go see who's coin it is right now) the one that has a person holding a GPS in metal and a photo in the background. I think this would look great with the castle and hill in metal and the background as a color. Provided you can take one where the sky is a vivid blue. I'm not sure how much color there is in an actual photo of the area so I'd also have to see that.

The only thought I had for the front was for the Groundspeaking X. I was wondering how it would look if you put just 1 and moved it under the dragon's foot. Assuming that it's not a cultural faux pas.

Good luck with your coin.

But I think the yellow tone on the picture might be part of the problem. It messed with my eyes.

i believe the OP used the gold monotone shade to simulate a 3D relief with no color or gold metal finish. 3D art on a coin cannot have any colors except for antique shading to highlight the etching. a 3D graphic is difficult to imagine on a flat picture, they often look nothing like the art work...but look amazing on the finished coin! :D

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

i believe the OP used the gold monotone shade to simulate a 3D relief with no color or gold metal finish. 3D art on a coin cannot have any colors except for antique shading to highlight the etching. a 3D graphic is difficult to imagine on a flat picture, they often look nothing like the art work...but look amazing on the finished coin! :laughing:

Exactly what i was trying to do ;) But here is my latest version of the county coin:

Back-and-front-1-Mark-3-web.gif

Changes:

• Font all unified and sizes altered.
  • Separator dots evened up on each side.
  • Cream colour on the front side of the coin updated (the Groundspeak Xs are still there, but a bi harder to see, but remember they will be in raised polished gold)
  • Textures added to the county and sea as suggested by Geocoin guy (you need to look closely)

I know it doesnt look that different but it is updated, i promise ;)

I tried putting one of the Xs under the foot and removing the other, but it didn't look right :/

What is the Feeling about adding a hole to the top middle?

Back-and-front-1-Mark-3-HOLE-web.gif

The updated version(s) of the landmark 3d back:

Tor-2.gif

And (which i like best of the 3 glasto tor pictures):

Tor-3.gif

Where's it to? is how us Somerset folk say Where is it? (which i thought would be appropriate for a geocoin!)

Edited by SDewer

personally, i'm not crazy about the "round opening" in the coin (just my own preference). i just think it takes away from the design, and makes it look like an oversized pathtag. not that there is anything wrong with pathtags! :laughing:

okay...i also have one other observation that i hope you will not take any offense to...but, although i am sure that people in the UK are quite familiar with Somerset, and its borders...i have no idea where Somerset is in relation to the entire British Island (not without looking on a map anyway). so, the graphic shown could really be ANY location on a world map next to a large body of water. i know there is limited space on your geocoin, but if you choose this graphic for your design, might it be possible to somehow show a bit more of the surrounding land mass and and perhaps less ocean to give those not familiar with Somerset a better view of its placement within the nation? just a suggestion for your consideration, for whatever its worth. by the way, i like the updates.

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

personally, i'm not crazy about the "round opening" in the coin (just my own preference). i just think it takes away from the design, and makes it look like an oversized pathtag. not that there is anything wrong with pathtags! :laughing:

okay...i also have one other observation that i hope you will not take any offense to...but, although i am sure that people in the UK are quite familiar with Somerset, and its borders...i have no idea where Somerset is in relation to the entire British Island (not without looking on a map anyway). so, the graphic shown could really be ANY location on a world map next to a large body of water. i know there is limited space on your geocoin, but if you choose this graphic for your design, might it be possible to somehow show a bit more of the surrounding land mass and and perhaps less ocean to give those not familiar with Somerset a better view of its placement within the nation? just a suggestion for your consideration, for whatever its worth. by the way, i like the updates.

Its a sound point, i will see what i can come up with!

But I think the yellow tone on the picture might be part of the problem. It messed with my eyes.

i believe the OP used the gold monotone shade to simulate a 3D relief with no color or gold metal finish. 3D art on a coin cannot have any colors except for antique shading to highlight the etching. a 3D graphic is difficult to imagine on a flat picture, they often look nothing like the art work...but look amazing on the finished coin! :laughing:

I got that but the yellow color was making it look flatter to me, so I couldn't visualize it in 3D at all. I'm sure it's my eyes. I do like both of the new ones, but I think the angle of the second one would work better in 3D. The yellow is still messing with my eyes though. I think it's making me squint or something. But with the larger main image I can focus on it better.

It looks like it will be a beautiful coin.

by the by...i now know EXACTLY where Somerset is located! :P

have you considered adding the "Union Jack" to your design, or is that "over kill"?!

cheers!

Think it may be a little overkill possibly.

Is this the sort of design you envisaged?:

Back-and-front-1-Mark-5.gif

Obv. all the outlining is in raised gold.

Not fond of that last one. Maybe if you put the apple over some of the dark green land. But I like the 3D one better anyway.

Looks like most people so far seem to prefer the 3rd itteration of the 3d design (the path leading up to the building)

So i suppose i will run with that one for now, but it will all depend on costing i think.

time to get some quotes!

If you'd like to speak with someone with quite a bit of experience creating both personal and regional coins, feel free to send me a personal message via my Geocaching profile - I'd be more than happy to talk you through the entire process of coin creation and what to expect.

To date, I have 2 personal coins - The Eclectic Penguin (350 coins, 4 different varieties all sold out within 3 weeks), and Puffin' My Way to the Next Cache (250 coins, two different varieties, sold out within a month) and have designed the South Wales Geocoins - The South Wales Geocachers Coin 2009, and the two, about to be released Miner's Protector Lamp and Wales Golfer's Coin (designed by others but with me being heavily involved in the full process).

I also hope to be fully involved in the design and development process of the Mega Wales 2011 coins.

I can provide ideas and insights about how to market the coin too.

I can also provide the extra perspective of some of the extra hurdles/pitfalls you may get when doing this within the UK - and also an idea of basic investment costs (it's NOT cheap, let me assure you!).

One recommendation - don't develop your artwork on your own - get involved with a reputable coin company as soon as possible - they have experts who'll also be able to advise you on what can and can't be done using the metals and enamel and will commission professional artwork based on your ideas and designs.

I've worked with Oakcoins personally but there are other companies equally as reputable that come highly recommended.

This offer is open to anyone in the U.K. who has aspirations on developing personal/regional/event Geocoins. I may be of less help to people outside the United Kingdom but again am happy to share some of my experiences with budding coin designers.

If you'd like to speak with someone with quite a bit of experience creating both personal and regional coins, feel free to send me a personal message via my Geocaching profile - I'd be more than happy to talk you through the entire process of coin creation and what to expect.

Thanks a bunch! i have taken you up on your offer and dropped you an email :wub:

I have had a few other Pms and emails aswell, so thankyou to you all so far for your help and input :blink:

Just to let you know that this is a very nice coin you are designing

would make a great web page which i love to do

so can you let me now when there is a pre-order or when they go on sale

love to get a few to let go and one for my collection

thanks

Labrador Wild Man

Thanks for the kind comments, can i ask which version (i think there are 5 now 2x2d and 3x3d) that you like the best?

Just to let you know that this is a very nice coin you are designing

would make a great web page which i love to do

so can you let me now when there is a pre-order or when they go on sale

love to get a few to let go and one for my collection

thanks

Labrador Wild Man

Thanks for the kind comments, can i ask which version (i think there are 5 now 2x2d and 3x3d) that you like the best?

BIG UPDATE:

The coin is going to be produced! and here we have the Die Art:

6ACP-03184-V05mod.jpg

Explanation:

Frontside

Shows a dragon which is the county emblem and the text "All the People of Somerset" which is the county motto. "Somersaet ealle" is the motto in its Olde English form.

Reverse

Shows the St. Michaels tower on top of Glastonbury Tor in 3d relief, which is a very famous Somerset landmark.

pictures:

http://www.knoll-farm.co.uk/L2/Countryside...nbury%20Tor.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/content/imag...wto_240x350.jpg

http://www.draper-of-glastonbury.com/image...tonbury_tor.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/pho...tonbury-tor.jpg

It is a site for lots of walks, there is a cache up near it as well. Glastonbury (well near it) plays host to the world famous Glastonbury music festival as well:

Glastonbury

Glastonbury Tor

It has the text "Welcome to the Westcountry" as somerset is situated in the southwest of England, and collectivly with Cornwall, Devon and possibly Dorset are known as the Westcountry of which Somerset is the gateway to it.

Somerset

It also has the text "Where's it to?" which is a Somerset colloquialism for "Where is it?" which i thought was pretty apt for geocaching :rolleyes:

so that is the coin, what do you guys think?

It will be the first and only coin currently produced for the county of Somerset in the UK which is a hotbed of caching.

Im not entirely sure of the finish yet, im thinking foggy/misty gold.

its just great seeing the finished die art and it just looks amazing in my opinion! i really love the little people!

Edited by Gamma Ray