What to do with the disk....

Dawgies

Benchmark DN0119

Has been recovered (destroyed) and I have the parts of the disk in my possession.

I'm filing the information with the NGS, but I'm curious about the disk. Do I keep it? Turn it over to one of the local surveyers? Give it a proper burial at the place its been since 1933?

May sound silly, but having the destroyed disk is kind of sad.

~Honest Value Never Fails~

1. Return the bits to NGS, which I think our good friends at the Power Squad do..... or

2. Keep it as a nifty souvenir... keeping them is not unheard of.... or

3. Perform the standard viking ex-benchmark ritual over the original spot and bury the remains with the appropriate solemnities...or

Some mixture of the above

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00217% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

Hmmm, well, wait a minute. Since it is marked on the face of the disk about fines and imprisonment for disturbing a marker, it seems to me that you ought to go through official channels if you want to try and keep the disk. I would guess that if it is legal to keep it, you can get the appropriate permission from the NGS. Otherwise, by contacting the NGS, you can clarify exactly what options you have regarding the disk and at least find out where you might be able to send it or whatever.

Jim.

Jim, Team Scotti

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/geocache.html

quote:
Originally posted by Team Scotti:

Since it is marked on the face of the disk about fines and imprisonment for disturbing a marker...

True. The problem was that it was already disturbed. Perhaps you can try and track down the killer? We must bring this criminal to justice!

I'd probably email the NGS with an official recovery form. They'll probably tell you to keep it.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I had this conversation with Deb Brown a few years ago. She said if the mark is listed as destroyed it's OK to keep any remnants, including the disk. She also said that if the mark was ever going to be replaced (not likely), they would create a new disk for it anyway.

-

I contacted a friend who works for the state hwy department and he advised that one of their machines breaks up the asphault before new work is done. The 1st blade cuts and the next smashes. Nothing its way is safe. He was sorry for its destruction and said the worker probably never knew it.

We can sleep easy tonight, unless you live on state right-of-way. icon_smile.gif

I contacted a friend who works for the state hwy department and he advised that one of their machines breaks up the asphault before new work is done. The 1st blade cuts and the next smashes. Nothing its way is safe. He was sorry for its destruction and said the worker probably never knew it.

We can sleep easy tonight, unless you live on state right-of-way. icon_smile.gif