What have you learned from geocaching to help you in life?

bittsen

Today I was at a Swap Meet (Flea Market for some of you) and found a geocache container

After aquiring the geocache I opted to leave it where it was and come back later. Having learned about geocaching, I took my newfound knowledge and, wanting to be able to find the spot again in a sea of similar looking "booths" I used my handy-dandy GPS and set a waypoint for the booth where the cache was left.

I set other waypoints for other booths where the same sequence of events transpired.

Several hours later I was able to follow the waypoints right back to where my purchases were left, including my new geocache container

What has geocaching taught you that helped you later in life?

Today I was at a Swap Meet (Flea Market for some of you) and found a geocache container

After aquiring the geocache I opted to leave it where it was and come back later. Having learned about geocaching, I took my newfound knowledge and, wanting to be able to find the spot again in a sea of similar looking "booths" I used my handy-dandy GPS and set a waypoint for the booth where the cache was left.

I set other waypoints for other booths where the same sequence of events transpired.

Several hours later I was able to follow the waypoints right back to where my purchases were left, including my new geocache container

What has geocaching taught you that helped you later in life?

You know, that was exactly the reason why I originally bought a GPSr-- to mark spots I wanted to return to. Except in my case, it was good places for hunting. Also my car, so I could get back to it.

Geocaching was a happy discovery after the fact.

Other things I've learned? The power of a good bug repellent. How slippery things can be after a good rain. The need to carry spare batteries. And foremost: to always bring a camera.

I have learned how to spot piles of rocks or wood, what lies under the skirt of a lamp post, and a bit of geology here and there. I am sure that each of these are valuable life skills or the type of knowledge with any number of applications to life. But the best real world application is how to come up with an excuse to tell my wife about how I was not that productive around the house. And how to do something apart from being in the real world.

Edited by Erickson

I've learned how to find tupperware in the middle of a forest, under rocks, in hollow trees. How to find magnetic key holder on guardrails, pill bottles in lamp posts, bison tubes in evergreens. I've learned that not all rocks in the woods are real and some dog poop is fake. Most importantly though, I've learned that I still can't find my dadgum Jeep keys!!!!!!

I've learned that though the shortest path between two points is a straight line, it may not be the easiest or the smartest.

I'm with Draco's mom on this one.

I've also learned how to estimate distances much more accurately and can now tell "by feel" when I've walked .1 miles. I've got half a mind to set my GPSr to metric so I can get good at meters again.

And I learned that my lhasa apso is actually a pretty decent tracking dog, but it's a lot harder to teach a dog to find a lock-n-lock than you'd think.

I learned how to be social.

Me too. I've always felt awkward around people, and shy. I don't always know how to handle myself appropriately, especially when there's more than one person involved (I'm ok with one person, as long as they're not a quiet type). I have a problem getting emotionally hyped up in strong "discussions". Geocaching and the Geocaching forums have changed me a lot, matured me, and I feel more comfortable about myself and my interactions with others.

Edited by Ambrosia

I've learned that though the shortest path between two points is a straight line, it may not be the easiest or the smartest.

that's very true, but we still take the straight line when we seem to be on one of those trails that keeps winding and winding that you think you'll never get there :D

I've learned how to find tupperware in the middle of a forest, under rocks, in hollow trees. How to find magnetic key holder on guardrails, pill bottles in lamp posts, bison tubes in evergreens. I've learned that not all rocks in the woods are real and some dog poop is fake. Most importantly though, I've learned that I still can't find my dadgum Jeep keys!!!!!!

Your keys are in GC15W13..... check out the trackables. :D

I've learned:

I CAN walk 13 miles if I have to.

I will climb a heck of a hill, that will leave me winded, just to find a pill bottle.

I will spend hours planning out a route to most efficiently do a DeLorme Challange.

I'll drive for hours and miles to get a cache 'cause we need it for a challenge.

And most importantly I've learned my partner is an EXCELLENT navigator! :D

Edited by ngrrfan

I have learned...

1. to think outside the box- the logical place for something isn't always where it is.

2. not to be afraid of exploring areas I have never been to.

3. that it is OK to talk to people I don't know. I'm quite shy and this has brought me out of my shell.

4. how to read a map and follow directions

5. that I'm not in good physical shape

6. that walking is fun and good for you.

7. that I really enjoy doing outdoors stuff with my kids and they enjoy being with me.

I've also learned how to estimate distances much more accurately and can now tell "by feel" when I've walked .1 miles. I've got half a mind to set my GPSr to metric so I can get good at meters again.

And I learned that my lhasa apso is actually a pretty decent tracking dog, but it's a lot harder to teach a dog to find a lock-n-lock than you'd think.

I had to look up what "Draco's mom" meant. I've never read a Harry Potter novel, nor have I seen the films. :D

I had to look up what "Draco's mom" meant. I've never read a Harry Potter novel, nor have I seen the films. :D

Sometimes I think I'm clever. :lol:

To keep this close to topic: if you ever read the novels and find yourself in Soldotna, AK, there's a series of puzzle caches you could look for. I've learned that puzzle caches designed for smart kids are just about the right level for me. Just challenging enough, but not so challenging that I can't finish them before my attention span runs out. :D

I've learned about the earth and it's wonders. I've learned with the right attitude every cache can be an adventure, even lpc's. A GPSr and cache listings are the best tour guides. Creative logging/writing is a lot of fun. :D

And I've learned where Willy Wonka was buried. :D