Password Update DOES NOT WORK (yes, I'm shouting)

segler999

Once again, just like 6 months ago, I want to change my login password for this forum.

It takes me over to geocaching.com. Over there I can change my password just fine. I logout, then login again to confirm the password change. Over there it all works fine. Out in out in out in--everything works with the new password.

However, back here on this forum ONLY MY OLD PASSWORD WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, moderator. Fix this! Please!

And make the fix permanent this time!

Thanks in advance,

segler999

No, not the wrong trail. This is forum I read and follow. This forum has a login. There is no reason why the geocaching.com login should not "take" on this forum, since, after all, this IS a geocaching.com forum.

When I complained about this 6 months ago, the moderator or somebody said something about fixing the link. They did indeed fix it at that time. Voila, my geocaching.com login worked on this forum.

But now it is unfixed again.

Am I the only read/poster here who ever updates his password? I can't believe this is not an issue all the time.

Please fix this and keep it fixed permanently. Thanks.

1. Please don't email a moderator. Volunteer moderators don't have access to your account information.

2. The Geocaching.com website and the Groundspeak Forums are on separate servers. When you update your account information on Geocaching.com, you need to click on the "Forums" link to pass along the updated information to the Forums server.

3. If you are still having trouble or need further assistance, please read this Page in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books, including its suggestion to "let us know if these common solutions do not work. To receive assistance from Groundspeak Customer Service, you can follow the link in the support database to create a support ticket, or you can write them directly from the email account associated with your Geocaching.com account, at contact @ geocaching.com.

4. I am moving your thread from the GPS and Technology forum to the Geocaching.com Web Site forum.

Thank you. That instruction worked. After changing my password on the geocaching.com page, clicking the Forums link appeared to have moved the new password over to the Groundspeak forums server.

I have a request. Please add that instruction to the "change password" page so that we will always know how to pass the new password to the forums server.

I have a request. Please add that instruction to the "change password" page so that we will always know how to pass the new password to the forums server.

4.2. Problems Logging In

Because we link the forum accounts to geocaching.com accounts, we occasionally have issues with how geocaching.com manages logins compared to how the forum software does. Below are some common issues (and possible solutions) that can help you get logged in.

Try one solution at a time until you find the fix:

1. The quickest fix is usually to log into www.geocaching.com and click on the “forums” link found on the left hand side of the page. By clicking on the link while logged in, the site updates the forum database with your current account information. This can sometimes overwrite bad information that was breaking your login.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p....page&id=31

Edited by t4e

That number 1. instruction seems to work very well. However, it is not intuitive. All password-protected sites (like banking sites) allow you to update your password right on site in the profile or security section.

Yes, geocaching.com does, too. However, the Groundspeak.com forums do not. When you begin a profile change process in the Groundspeak.com forums, you are taken over to the geocaching.com site. You can update your profile/password there just fine. No problem.

So far, so good.

However, unless you remember to click the Forums link, your updated password will not get transferred over to the Groundspeak.com forums site.

So, please add instructional language to the "change password" page in geocaching.com to be sure to click the Forums link before logging off.

Very simple. Add the instruction. This would have saved me 16 hours of agony and frustration.

Sorry about the shouting. After 16 hours I was starting to throw things. If essentially all other sites can do this straightforwardly, so can Groundspeak/geocaching.

I opened up the GPS technology forum, logged in using my old password, and started the new topic. It was later that the moderator moved it here.

Again, simply adding an instruction to be sure to click the Forums link before logging off will go a long way toward reducing the confusion about this.