Newbie finds Travel Bug with "Copy" imprinted

High Cloud

I am a Newbie, found my first dozen and picked up today a numbered Travel Bug but it has the word "Copy" engraved on the front side.

Is this a real travel bug? What action should I undertake?

Thanks for your help!

High Cloud (actually the High Clouders as it is the Missus and me...)

Edited by High Cloud

It's real. When you purchase tags they send you two, one of which says copy. If your bug should go missing, and that's extremely rare, you can re-release it with the copy tag.

Actually it doesn't really matter which one you release first.

Just treat it like any other bug.

Logging information can be found here: http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?...apter&id=30

Edited by BlueDeuce

when you order a pack of travel bug tags, you always get two of each one: a "real" one and a "copy". you attach the "real" one to something and send it out there, and keep the "copy".

in case the "real" travel bug ever gets lost, disappears, gets muggled or whatever, the owner can choose to use the "copy" to attach it to something else and send it out again, re-using the tracking number. so yes, this is a real travelbug, where the original item with the original item probably got lost somewhere on the way.

Is this the same for the car decal travel bugs? In case my car gets lost or stolen, I seem to have a backup decal, PLUS 2 dogtags with the same tracking #.

Airblazer

The extra decal would be to replace the original should it be destroyed or lost. The dogtags are part of the purchase. If you decide to stop using your car as a TB you could re-release it as a normal travel bug using one of the dogtags.

You cannot release more than one bug at a time using the same tracking number. Just throw all that other stuff into a drawer until you need it.