A complaint / request about fishing line

I've seen a number of caches that were hidden with the help of fishing line. the cache is hung from a piece of fishing line inside a hole or pipe of some sort. Most of these are pretty decent hides. However, when hiding a cache like this PLEASE make sure the line is strong enough and that there are no rough edges on which it may cut itself.

I say this because I recently found a cache that was hidden in a sign post on a piece of fishing line. It was rated as a 1.5/1.5. I found where the line was tied at the top of the post. Unfortunately, it was broken about 2 inches from the connection point. Since the sign post was one of those with perforations the entire length, I was able to see the cache at the bottom. Since I was not going to let it escape me, I spent the better part of 40 minutes fishing it out of the post. After that, I retied the line.

I'm not going to explain how I got the cache out, because I'm going to use the whole thing as a hide of my own, but with a difficulty of 3.5 or so.

But, please, if you are going to hang a cache on fishing line, make sure it is not likely to break.

Fishing line should not be used in caches! Fishing line is just plain deadly to wildlife.
I know very well that lengths of fishing line, such as might be cut by a fisherman that snagged a tree or couldn't undo the backlash tangle... birds particularily can get entrapped in it. But a foot or two of it used to hang a cache... I can't see how that could cause issues with wildlife. What am I missing?

Fishing line should not be used in caches! Fishing line is just plain deadly to wildlife.

Humans should not perform any action! Humans are just plain deadly to wildlife.

How about a little less drastic...

You should not drive! Driving is just plain deadly to wildlife.

Humans driving does more damage than fishing line.

See the absurdity?

A raccoon could choke on your lock-n-lock if it chews it up and eats some of it.

A bear could be disadvantaged in a fight and die because it stepped on your ammo box and got it caught on its foot.

A wolf dies from intestinal blockage because somebody handled a micro without washing their hands after eating a liver sandwich.

And a...

And a...

And a...

And a...

And all of this from a guy who has a pocket full of non filter cigarette butts when he is hiking because he doesn't want the potential of creating another addict. Yeah, I wont even field strip them.

Go figure.

I know very well that lengths of fishing line, such as might be cut by a fisherman that snagged a tree or couldn't undo the backlash tangle... birds particularily can get entrapped in it. But a foot or two of it used to hang a cache... I can't see how that could cause issues with wildlife. What am I missing?

What you appear to be missing is a knowledge of wildlife and the environment. I will give you a simple example. someone leaves a little 6 inch piece of monofilament line laying on the ground. a bird picks it up thinking it will make good nest building material. At about a week old the three chicks that she has hatched out become entangled in that little piece of line and all die a horrible death of cuts and strangulation. This is a true story. I witnessed it after the fact.

I've taken to using steel leaders for these types of hides. Lasts a lot longer. I use the type with the swivel at one end and a clip at the other. Works great for bison tubes. Yes, more expensive but....

Yes, and steel leaders work a lot better for those bigger, stronger, birds too.

See the absurdity?

A raccoon could choke on your lock-n-lock if it chews it up and eats some of it.

A bear could be disadvantaged in a fight and die because it stepped on your ammo box and got it caught on its foot.

A wolf dies from intestinal blockage because somebody handled a micro without washing their hands after eating a liver sandwich.

And a...

And a...

And a...

And a...

And all of this from a guy who has a pocket full of non filter cigarette butts when he is hiking because he doesn't want the potential of creating another addict. Yeah, I wont even field strip them.

Go figure.

Your hyperbole drive is stuck at Warp 9.

What you appear to be missing is a knowledge of wildlife and the environment. I will give you a simple example. someone leaves a little 6 inch piece of monofilament line laying on the ground. a bird picks it up thinking it will make good nest building material. At about a week old the three chicks that she has hatched out become entangled in that little piece of line and all die a horrible death of cuts and strangulation. This is a true story. I witnessed it after the fact.

Well, I tried to lend some credence to your claim, based on what I know as a fisherman. Tangles of monofiliment are litter and snares to animals. However, I refuse to get so apologetic about being alive that I will say that I will never use a piece of fishing line to hide a cache just on the extremely rare possibility that 1) it comes loose of my cache 2) a bird building a nest picks it up 3) a baby bird in the nest becomes entangled in it and dies. Suit yourself, but that's a bit extremist to me.

PS: I have sufficient knowledge of wildlife and the environment, thank you.

Edited by knowschad

Dang how can the bear, racoon, and the wolf all find those caches by mear luck and i cant find them trying?!!! :D:P:)

I do agree with you though.

See the absurdity?

And a...

And a...

And a...

And a...

Go figure.

Your hyperbole drive is stuck at Warp 9.

AND?

Doesn't make it less valid. :P Especially when responding to hyperbole. :D:)

Ho Boy!!!

Stand back everbody. :D:):P

especially to fish :D

I'd like to buy you a drink for that. Preferably the same one I choked on when I read your reply :lol:

was it something on the rocks? :D

If a fish manages to make it's way into the fence post where I had my first cache it's probably not going to last very long anyway. When I first placed the cache the tether that I used to attach the container to the fence post broke and I was able to fish it out using a fish hook attached to a long, skinny stick. I replaced the tether with something stronger and the cache has stayed intact and hasn't had a DNF in three years.

I've taken to using steel leaders for these types of hides. Lasts a lot longer. I use the type with the swivel at one end and a clip at the other. Works great for bison tubes. Yes, more expensive but....

Yes, and steel leaders work a lot better for those bigger, stronger, birds too.

You could also attach that 6" piece of fishing line to a short piece of bamboo on one end and a paper clip on the other. That way if a bird gets up early it could first catch a worm, then go fishing for trout.

I don't have an issue with using fishing line for fishing. Nor do I have an issue with using it to hang a cache inside a post, pole or other hole, assuming it is strong enough not to break. I have a HUGE issue with disposing of it by wadding it up and tossing it out or dropping it. In fact, when I go fishing or scuba diving, I make it a practice to collect up monofilament that is left behind or caught in the rocks. The proper procedure is to cut it into short lengths, which is easy enough to do with a shears, and to then dispose of it in a proper receptacle.

:D Dang!!! You got me. I'm so embarrassed. I really thought you were serious. I guess it took me... what?... three, four hours, before it finally dawned on me that you just HAD to be yanking my chain. I was just sitting here, watching TV when the lightbulb came on... "he CAN'T be serious"!!!

Good one... I bought it hook, (ummmmm...) line, and sinker! You kidder, you!!

Gosh, I feel so... naive! :D

:lol:

Edited by knowschad

I'd like to buy you a drink for that. Preferably the same one I choked on when I read your reply :unsure:

was it something on the rocks? :D

It WAS on the rocks, it IS on the keyboard :lol:

I use spider wire. It's virtually invisible and rated for 50lbs.

Spiders bigger than 50lbs aren't worth catching anyway

They are so much better then micro spiders. I'm much rather find a big spider in the wood...

er... wait a minute... :):D

actually, I think micro spiders are just fine!

You just had to muggle this thread, didn't you? :P

If plain old monofilament is taboo, then what do you suppose virtually invisible 50 lb test spider wire is?

Just great! I'm assuming he's referring to their super-braid line, since Spiderwire also makes mono line. Super-braid is very limp and easy to cast. It doesn't coil or rat-nest like mono, so it difficult for fauna to get caught up in it. And the Invisi-braid line is only "invisible" under water. It's bright white otherwise. It's also very thin and lightweight. 30# super-braid has the diameter of maybe 6# mono. And it's expensive, about 10¢ a yard, compared to 2¢-3¢ a yard for good mono. Nobody in their right mind fills up the whole spool with super-braid. Costs too much. Lay down a base of mono, then tie on the super and wind it on top.

And that's more than you ever wanted to know about super-braid fishing line.

Edited by Prime Suspect
You just had to muggle this thread, didn't you? :P

If plain old monofilament is taboo, then what do you suppose virtually invisible 50 lb test spider wire is?

Just great! I'm assuming he's referring to their super-braid line, since Spiderwire also makes mono line. Super-braid is very limp and easy to cast. It doesn't coil or rat-nest like mono, so it difficult for fauna to get caught up in it. And the Invisi-braid line is only "invisible" under water. It's bright white otherwise. It's also very thin and lightweight. 30# super-braid has the diameter of maybe 6# mono. And it's expensive, about 10¢ a yard, compared to 2¢-3¢ a yard for good mono. Nobody in their right mind fills up the whole spool with super-braid. Costs too much. Lay down a base of mono, then tie on the super and wind it on top.

And that's more than you ever wanted to know about super-braid fishing line.

Yes, I was referring to the dark green thread-like super braid.

Then maybe they'll stop pooping on my car and making nests on my house!