[idea] "GEO-ACHIEVEMENTS"

joemanfro

Hey everybody! So humor me here with this random idea lol

This dawned upon me when I saw the geocoins for sale with things like "100 Finds!," "500 Hides!," and the like on them and also from playing a fair amount of video games. BUT, I think a neat addition to anyone's geocaching profile would be "geo-achievements."

They could be things as simple as the ones that show up on those coin series, like 100 finds, 500, 1000, 5000, etc.. or more complex like "Find 500 caches in New Jersey" or something. And of course they'd all have your typical "achievement-esque" titles...

"Thorny!" achievement: "Find 25 caches with the 'thorns' attribute"

"Bushwacker!" achievement: Find 100 caches with the 'thorns' attribute"

"Bring the Kids!" achievement: "Find 100 caches with the 'family-friendly' attribute

We track the numbers already, lets just add some achievements for them now :P Things that we already have numbers for on our profile include:

# of finds

# of hides

# of 1-stars, 2-stars, 5-stars, etc.

but I'm sure we could also track attributed caches...

# of "family-friendly" caches

# of "thorns!" caches

# of "bugs! caches

Just speaking my mind with a few spare moments at work and a case of the Fridays :D but does anyone else think this would be a cool addition? What would be some good achievements???

Happy Friday! Keep on Caching!

Edited by joemanfro

Just speaking my mind with a few spare moments at work and a case of the Fridays :D but does anyone else think this would be a cool addition? What would be some good achievements???

Happy Friday! Keep on Caching!

I hope it's a very happy Friday for you. Because pretty much no one is going to agree with the idea for Geo-acheivements. :P At least not sanctioned by, and given out by Geocaching.com.

I suppose you can already get them from various statistic websites and programs that make use of the "my finds" pocket query.

Or I suppose you can get military style medals and ribbons from The Central Ontario Geocachers although a lot of them are specific to their region.

Don't feel bad, joemanfro... the concept is sound and is commonly implemented on many many sites, so why not here?

The reason is that attributes, diff/ter ratings, and even "finds" are relatively arbitrary and are defined by the individual hider or finder. You might find a "wading" attribute in the sonoran desert, or an "available in winter" attribute in Florida.

But the most critical reason is that people already use creative reasoning for finds, and all it does is increase a number. Some log finds if they're in the same parking lot as the LPC. Some people log finds on random caches. Give them a shiny new achievement badge, and the whining about lying loggers will reach ear-splitting levels.

Please - no more inane statistics for folks to compare and compete about.......sigh.

With all respect StarBrand, please don't allow someone else's activities (which truly don't affect you personally) interfere with your pursuit of happiness. I mean absolutely no insult with this comment, but why shouldn't others indulge in their favorite activity in the way they wish?

I think the achievement idea is awesome. During the long Minnesota winter, I'm an XBOX 360 achievements junkie, and during my *very* short stint with WOW, I really enjoyed those rather pointless achievements too.

But then again, you could always make a puzzle cache in your area with an 'acheivement' attached to it. Like put it in a thorny area and then say "You can log this cache AFTER finding 25 caches with the Thorns attribute'. I've seen quite a few puzzle caches like that in MN, but usually with achievements like "visit so many virtual caches" or "find lakeside caches starting with every letter of the alphabet."

Edited by MastahMatt

Great idea, not worth the time it would take away from them working on something truly important (even though I can't think about one now). If they have time in which they aren't doing anything (as if) then this would make a good time-filler, but I don't think that this would actually be good enough to take away from something else they're thinking of creating

Great idea!!

This place just loves numbers and as the game grows in popularity, the interest in all manner of stats would likely be a really well used feature.

You ought to see the volume of stats that some users have attached to their profiles now, this could only make it better.

I vote no. There are plenty of third party stats programs that can acheive this for people who are in to stats. You can create GSAK macros to find these stats if they don't already exist.

Additionally, you are free to list your 'geo-achievements' in your profile under 'profile information'. You can even make icons and stuff and offer them to other people for their acheivements.

It's not a feature I want. But if Groundspeak decides to implement it, I wouldn't scream for its removal either.

I seriously doubt that this would be offered officially. Because it just doesn't feel like the Groundspeak we know (though this may change), and I think it is just an invitation to tons of protests (why 25? Should be 50. Or 15. Why only "thorns"? Why no award for poison oak? Cache xxx doesn't really have thorns, that attribute should be removed. And so on)

If you achieve something why not put it on your profile. Many others may disagree with you, but if it is something you are proud of it, hang it out for everyone to see. I am quite sure anyone who puts you down will have their own form of "Hey Look At Me" on their profile and that is perfectly fine. Each person has their own way of playing.