Underwater Caches?

Hey everybody! I am a SCUBA diver. I was a SCUBA diver first before I was a geocacher :P I am only 8 caches in, and have been lucky enough to come across a "5 Star SCUBA" geocoin. Ironically, I found it in a 1-star cache ABOVE GROUND. While a charming discovery nonetheless, I would have LOVED to be the diver at 100' sacrificing all 22 minutes of his bottom time looking for a secret 5-star underwater cache, finding it, and being most generously rewarded with this beautiful coin.

Now, I want to make that happen for some fellow scuba-cacher out there. And so I ask you, community:

Where can I find some underwater caches?? :D

I will be doing my SCUBA travels this summer, and would love to build one small trip around this and incorporate geocaching into my diving hobby.

Keep on caching!

Edited by joemanfro

Hey everybody! I am a SCUBA diver. I was a SCUBA diver first before I was a geocacher :P I am only 8 caches in, and have been lucky enough to come across a "5 Star SCUBA" geocoin. Ironically, I found it in a 1-star cache ABOVE GROUND. While a charming discovery nonetheless, I would have LOVED to be the diver at 100' sacrificing all 22 minutes of his bottom time looking for a secret 5-star underwater cache, finding it, and being most generously rewarded with this beautiful coin.

Now, I want to make that happen for some fellow scuba-cacher out there. And so I ask you, community:

I will be doing my SCUBA travels this summer, and would love to build one small trip around this and incorporate geocaching into my diving hobby.

Keep on caching!

Here's one: Minus 30; SCUBA Cache but it's in Saguaro Lake in the middle of the desert. I don't think I'd plan a SCUBA trip around it. I've thought about going after it but I lost my certification cards about 30 years ago so nobody will rent me any equipment.

You are more than welcome to come to Texas. There are a couple in Lake Travis and elsewhere. :D

Haha funny you should mention Texas - I ran a Pocket Query as suggested above and there were a few that popped up there that struck my fancy. Parts of Coastal Texas are great as well for diving I hear :P

Keep on caching!

Hey everybody! I am a SCUBA diver. I was a SCUBA diver first before I was a geocacher :D I am only 8 caches in, and have been lucky enough to come across a "5 Star SCUBA" geocoin. Ironically, I found it in a 1-star cache ABOVE GROUND. While a charming discovery nonetheless, I would have LOVED to be the diver at 100' sacrificing all 22 minutes of his bottom time looking for a secret 5-star underwater cache, finding it, and being most generously rewarded with this beautiful coin.

Keep on caching!

Here's one: Minus 30; SCUBA Cache but it's in Saguaro Lake in the middle of the desert. I don't think I'd plan a SCUBA trip around it. I've thought about going after it but I lost my certification cards about 30 years ago so nobody will rent me any equipment.

if u where certified from padi all u have to do is go to a padi shop and they will request u new cards.

life is better under water! i gona make more scuba caches here in az as i dont see any but this one.

There is one in lake michigan. I think you can be a ftf, but you need special clearance to dive that deep. im not a diver but i saw it one day when searching around south haven MI.

The one in Lake Michigan is GC1D6ZQ, Fireboat Dive Site, by FJFitzgerald. It's off Saugatuck, just off a shipwreck in 73' of water. You do need SCUBA equipment for it - so it would be good if your trip takes you that way. The FTF is gone - it has had one find in about two years. The owners are friends of mine. I'll never find it, though, since I don't dive and don't anticipate I ever will 'cause I get claustrophobic when the mask goes on.

if u where certified from padi all u have to do is go to a padi shop and they will request u new cards.

life is better under water! i gona make more scuba caches here in az as i dont see any but this one.

Well, yes and no. I was certified by both PADI & NAUI before the age of keeping records on computers so I have to pay a fairly large some for a new card from either of them. That also doesn't guarantee that they will find the records to issue a new card from either.

Now back to the regularly scheduled topic!

Question.... As a diver myself, are we setting up the caches to be opened underwater, or to bring them to the surface and then bring them back down. Keep in mind total bottom times and no decompression limits,,

I wondered this myself! I suppose the log itself could be a slate. In case I ever decide to place one of these myself, I'm curious as to what standard practice is. For those ones that are 77' under or in wrecks, I could see it difficult to surface to log and go down again.

I'm planning on placing one off Maui sometime next week.

My plan is to use one of those little scuba-tank shaped o-ring kits to place a micro cache with some fishing weights holding it down. It will be slightly positively buoyant so as to not get buried by sand.

My intent is that a diver will bring their own pencil to sign the log-only cache.

My challenge is that it should be off the beaten path so as to avoid muggles, but at the same time, not be SO far off the beaten path that there isn't some other great stuff to see.