Pub car park

I'm putting together a cache which I'm planning on putting next to a public footpath that runs around the back of a pub.

Now I had assumed that in my description I would put something like "Please don't park in the pub car park! Instead you can park on the road at xxxxx".

But I noticed on another thread at least one cache description has "Park in the pub car park".

But am I right in thinking such advice would be frowned upon?

I'm putting together a cache which I'm planning on putting next to a public footpath that runs around the back of a pub.

Now I had assumed that in my description I would put something like "Please don't park in the pub car park! Instead you can park on the road at xxxxx".

But I noticed on another thread at least one cache description has "Park in the pub car park".

But am I right in thinking such advice would be frowned upon?

As a pub landlord and cacher, if it was my pub car park this advice would definately be frowned upon. Our car park is very small, with room for only four cars. However, if we had a large car park, it would not be a problem.

Best bet would be to check with the landlord, he may welcome the extra bit of trade.

You could also mention on the cache listing something like "Pop into The XXXX Inn, they serve a good pint of draught cider"

Well, it's possible that the other cacher has asked the pub in question for permission. There are certainly some places where there's an understanding that you can park at a particular business if you're doing a local walk, the hope being of course that you might decide to pop in and buy something while you're there.

In the absence of an agreement, or if it's just not worth the hassle of asking, then I think you're right in what you originally intended to do.

Cheers

Richard

You could also mention on the cache listing something like "Pop into The XXXX Inn, they serve a good pint of draught cider"

Are you actually allowed to do that or does it count as commercial/promotion/something other frowned upon by GS?

How about "IF you pop into the xxxx, you'll find they serve a good pint of xxxx ! "

Oh, hang on, only the Aussies would agree with you :D

Are you actually allowed to do that or does it count as commercial/promotion/something other frowned upon by GS?

Not sure, but I have seen similar on a few cache pages.

I would ask you to remove a line like that prior to publication

I thought in the UK it was OK to mention pubs... I understood we had a special case on this..... or have the rules changed in the last few weeks? :D:P:) Cheers MaxKim.

I thought in the UK it was OK to mention pubs... I understood we had a special case on this..... or have the rules changed in the last few weeks? :D:P:) Cheers MaxKim.

I'm not a UK reviewer but I can't see how mentioning a pub and recommending it as a good place for a pint has anything to do with the cache and how to find it? However, I'm don't want to get into an argument and detract from the OP. I'm sure he'll find out for sure when he submits the cache for review.

I'm not a UK reviewer but I can't see how mentioning a pub and recommending it as a good place for a pint has anything to do with the cache and how to find it? However, I'm don't want to get into an argument and detract from the OP. I'm sure he'll find out for sure when he submits the cache for review.

I've mentioned just exactly that on more than one of my caches, including a series that have been published recently. In the UK, that hasn't been a problem since... oh... Moss Trooper, Tim & June and Lactodorum were 'approvers' and explained to TPTB just what a special relationship we have with our pubs. Long may it remain so... :unsure:

After 'asking', what if the cache owner said they would prefer it stayed there, would you still publish the cache?

i have two caches with pub car parking though other places are avilable. but in both pages i mentioned going in to the pub for a drink of dinner i dont see y this would be a prob as it encorages more buissness to them. and free advatisement. i have been on many caching events were we go out for the day and find a cache in the pub car park then we all end up havng lunch there. so i dont see how it can be a bad thing.

lmn

i have two caches with pub car parking though other places are avilable. but in both pages i mentioned going in to the pub for a drink of dinner i dont see y this would be a prob as it encorages more buissness to them. and free advatisement. i have been on many caching events were we go out for the day and find a cache in the pub car park then we all end up havng lunch there. so i dont see how it can be a bad thing.

lmn

Having just looked at a few cache pages, I found one cache is inside an eating and drinking establishment, I also found a pub which is a travel bug. Have these slipped through the system? Or are they allowed?

Edited by norsch

After 'asking', what if the cache owner said they would prefer it stayed there, would you still publish the cache?

Probably not but I've never been in that situation yet.

lmn

Which is why I wouldn't allow it. GC.com is a geocache listing site and not an advertisement service. That's why there is a commercial guideline:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#commercial

i enjoy these caches and dont see y it would be a prob eg tb hotel pecs is one of my fav caches and i know its safe to leave bugs coins ect as its behind the bar in a pub. i dont see y n e one would find this a prob as u are not obliged to buy a drink when u do the cache though i must admitt most of the time its nice to chill with a coffee whilst filling out the log book.

I can't help thinking that a mention of the pub car park is all that's needed, as long as the landlord is happy for people to park there. I'm sure people can figure out for themselves that the pub might be a good place to find some refreshments after a walk.

Alternatively mention the car park but also say it's for customers only. I've often parked in pub car parks (with the bar staff's permission) while I've been for a walk before stopping for a drink and sometimes some food.