Do I have to fork out > £100 for a map?

Hi - I'm new to this and just bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx only to find that there are no maps on it? I've searched and seen some for sale for > £100. Is this my only option to get them? Thanks!!

No, have a look at this post where TalkyToaster provides free OpenSourceMap s. Note the caveats regarding the reliability of the content, and be aware that they're not as comprehensive as an OS Landranger map, but many people (including me) find them perfect for caching. I use them on a Vista too, and it's very simple but you will need to buy yourself a micro-sd card for it (only a few quid these days).

Edited by MartyBartfast

Hi - I'm new to this and just bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx only to find that there are no maps on it? I've searched and seen some for sale for > £100. Is this my only option to get them? Thanks!!

Yep - at least for that GPS!

You don't need maps on your GPS to use it for caching, though.

Mapping GPSes are a fairly recent innovation, and many of us started without mapping.

I'd been caching for almost 2 years before I invested in a pda and Memory Map - there were far fewer caches around in those days, and most of them tended to be a little further off the beaten track, so it can easily be done.

Don't let the cost of maps put you off - they're a "nice to have" item, not a "need to have".

Hi - I'm new to this and just bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx only to find that there are no maps on it? I've searched and seen some for sale for > £100. Is this my only option to get them?

It's the only option to get official Garmin maps that you will be allowed to discuss in this forum.

It's also worth noting that the long-awaited opening up of the OS map set is underway right now (most were released on 1 April, the new 1:25K and 1:50K map sets will be out some time in May). If nothing else, this is bound to shake up the market. So if you find OSM doesn't meet your needs, I'd wait for a bit - this probably isn't a great time to spend a lot of money on digital mapping.

Cheers

Richard

... the new 1:25K and 1:50K map sets will be out some time in May).
Have you got a reference for that? The OS were very reluctant to let go of any of their data. Eventually they were forced to, but allowed some choice, and (naturally, I suppose) they chose to retain all the most important stuff, including the 50,000 and 25,000 maps. If they've now changed that I'd be very interested.

Rgds, Andy

Have you got a reference for that? The OS were very reluctant to let go of any of their data. Eventually they were forced to, but allowed some choice, and (naturally, I suppose) they chose to retain all the most important stuff, including the 50,000 and 25,000 maps. If they've now changed that I'd be very interested.

Rgds, Andy

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/...ormap/district/

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/...t/techinfo.html

Rgds, Andy

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/...ormap/district/

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/...t/techinfo.html

OK, I would recommend we keep this in the same thread here

If I get a chance, I'll export a small chunk of one of the maps using ArcGIS. They are called "District" maps for this very reason. They don't have footpaths or anything useful to Geocachers.

EDIT: And to add from the FAQs on Opendata....

6 Why is 1:25 000 Scale Colour Raster data and 1:50 000 Scale

Colour Raster data not available?

It has been decided to replace the 1:25 000 and 1:50 000 Scale Colour Raster products with OS VectorMap

District. This dataset is a new product within the OS VectorMap family, and is available in both raster and

vector formats. It is designed to be a flexible and customisable product specifically designed for use on the

web. It will enable developers to select, customise and modify maps to their specific requirements.

This change addresses two concerns expressed by respondents about both the inclusion of 1:25 000 and

1:50 000 raster products. The concerns were about the potential damage to the national coverage of

Ordnance Survey OS Landranger and OS Explorer paper maps, and the absence of a mid-scale vector

product to enable further innovation by developers.

The changes should therefore increase the economic benefit of OS OpenData.

Read between the lines. People were concerned that if they took away the OS' funding, 1:25k and 1:50k maps would no longer be updated.

10 What is OS VectorMap District?

OS VectorMap District is a new mid-scale product within the OS VectorMap family, and is available in both

raster and vector formats. It is designed to be a flexible and customisable product specifically designed for

use on the web. It will enable developers to select, customise and modify maps to their specific

requirements.

I have already seen plotted the new Vector maps plotted against Open Street Map (OSM) and I have to say with tongue firmly in cheek that some of the OSM maps are scarily accurate considering they have been done "by hand"

Edited by The Other Stu

Note that OpenStreetMaps (OSM) GB team (where those free Garmin maps are sourced from) are currently in heavy discussions amongst themselves about the best way to 'import' all this new OS data to enhance the OSM map. There are lots of areas in OSM which are much better in terms of detail than the OS maps. Then again, there are parts which are just blank, though they're getting fewer and fewer!!

<my interpretation>

Currently, the general consensus is that careful tracing over the OS StreetView raster data where no OSM data exists is OK for now as long as the tracer knows the area and is confident of the OS accuracy, but we're really holding out for the VectorMap District as this'll be far easier to import due to its vector nature (if indeed importing is going to occur).

</my interpretation>

Some interesting links for those bored and fancy a look:

So to the OP - use the OSM maps from the links provided in this thread. The maps will only get more awesome!

Also, there is another thread about the OS maps over here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=244981

Edited by tiiiim

...snippety snip snip...

...They don't have footpaths or anything useful to Geocachers...

...snippety snip snip

This is very true. Well, at least about the countryside footpaths and public rights of way. For those caches in cities and along roads the data may prove more useful.

As ever, YMMV.

Indeed - I may have over-summarized, sorry. They're not going to release the Landranger and Explorer raster maps we know and love. But there are going to be a new, different map sets at those scales.

I wasn't saying that the maps we want are suddenly going to be free, just that this is a Big Event and that "Something" is bound to happen as a result. I personally wouldn't invest a great deal in buying mapping until it's clearer what the Something is going to be.

Cheers

Richard