How do you get a FTF?

The Rubberboots

Had a play with geocaching a couple of years ago and have just began geocaching again. We are premium subscribers and want to know how to get a first to find.

We had the Groundspeak email arrive and the second it did we opened it to see the new caches. We wanted to be a FTF but they’ve already been found! :P How can this be? :D

We don’t know how to filter the caches in our area to know which have not been found before either.

Is there something we need to do to subscribe to get caches as they are published?

Can we filter our area or the area we are in to show only those geocaches that have never been found?

We became premium members because we want to enjoy this and part of that, is in the race to be a FTF. :)

Thank you very much in advance.

The Rubberboots

Advisors to the Royal Rubberduck household

Goto Member Features -> Instant Log Notification -> Create and fill out form. When you select the cache type a new field will open and select 'publish'. In the field that says 'send to another e-mail' put in for youe cell phone. For example Verizon is (Your phone number) @vtext.com - When the cache is published you'll get notified on your cell. It wont tell you the coords but will give you the cache name / GC number to look it up. Then run like heck out the door - LOL

To filter out caches that have not yet been found goto Member Features -> Pocket Query Generator ->Create a new Query at the That (and) section select that have not been found. After you complete the form and click 'submit information' it gives you an option (at the top) to preview - click that.

Edited by WatchDog2020

I use the instant notification to get my 1st 2 finds If I am out and about then I utilize my cell phone to go the the webpage to get the coordinates. My area still has slow internet but usually I can get them and off and running.

Had a play with geocaching a couple of years ago and have just began geocaching again. We are premium subscribers and want to know how to get a first to find.

We had the Groundspeak email arrive and the second it did we opened it to see the new caches. We wanted to be a FTF but they’ve already been found! :P How can this be? :D

We don’t know how to filter the caches in our area to know which have not been found before either.

Is there something we need to do to subscribe to get caches as they are published?

Can we filter our area or the area we are in to show only those geocaches that have never been found?

We became premium members because we want to enjoy this and part of that, is in the race to be a FTF. :)

The Rubberboots

The Rubberboots

In order to get caches in your area with out showing ones you have already found try this. When you log on to geocaching click on your name on the top right of the page. Scroll down on the right side of the page will be search for nearest from your home coordinates. Next to that will be in parentheses (filter out finds). Click on that and your finds will be gone.

Depending on your area, you will need to get to GZ as fast as possible. Put your coat, swag bag, gloves near the door. Bring two pens, just in case one of them fails (you will never know when you'll need it).

If you drive or travel between two larger areas, set at least two Instant Notifications, one for each area. We will go after an FTF if it is with in 5-6 miles of home (in most cases). However our Notifications are set for 25 miles out since we drive between a few cities a couple times a week. That way we know what is happening in the greater area. Sometimes we will go on a long FTF run if we are already in the car and on a major road.

I did as instructed and received a text on my phone to validate ...click in link ... And get a 'failed to validate email address'

Any suggestions?

You got a text? That may be the problem. It's actually an email, not a text. Some providers only allow a certain length of text message, so that big log email gets cut off, and the link won't work. You could contact Groundspeak, or you could use an email app on your phone. I use gmail as its free, and gives me access to it on any phone or computer, even if I change my phone number.