Place to stay for GW8.

Corp Of  Discovery

There are many places listed in the hotel section on www.geowoodstock.com. If you are looking for something else, please let me know I will try and help you out.

The info there is rather limited. I was hoping for someplace a little cheaper than those listed and it doesn't have to be in the immediate vicinity of the event. One place I was considering was Renton.

Not sure of your price range, but if you're a Choice Hotels member, the Quality Inn Renton is conveniently located just off the freeway and gets good reviews (91% recommend on Hotels.com). I live not far away, which is why it springs to mind, but Renton has many other hotels, as well.

Quality Inn Renton

1850 Se Maple Valley Hwy, Renton, WA, 98055

Hotel Info: 866-539-0036

Edited by hydnsek

Not sure of your price range, but if you're a Choice Hotels member, the Quality Inn Renton is conveniently located just off the freeway and gets good reviews (91% recommend on Hotels.com). I live not far away, which is why it springs to mind, but Renton has many other hotels, as well.

Quality Inn Renton

The only real problem with staying in Renton is that it is about 45 minutes driving to Carnation and that time does not allow for traffic which can be quite heavy on I-405 any time of the day.

Quality Inn Renton

The only real problem with staying in Renton is that it is about 45 minutes driving to Carnation and that time does not allow for traffic which can be quite heavy on I-405 any time of the day.

That will be my route as well, since I live near there, and driving the short distance north on 405 to I-90 is not usually an issue, esp. on a Saturday morning (GW8 day). In fact, since they finished the expansion, traffic is better both ways.

I suggested that hotel because it's conveniently located on the Bellevue side of Renton, right off 405 (exit 4, I think), and would not be much different than staying in Bellevue (which many are doing), and definitely a shorter drive than a Seattle hotel.

ventura_kids - Yes, Groundspeak's big event is outside their Fremont HQ (Seattle) on Sunday, July 4.

Here's a schedule of GW8 events as we know them so far.

Edited by hydnsek

I'm not worried about traffic, ...

have you experienced a rush hour commute in latee land? Our area is not number one in anything often, but we were recently given the "not so distinguished" award of having the longest commute time in the nation.

if it were me, I would look for a place in North Bend (motels mostly), Issaquah or the Woodinville/Redmond area.. Issaquah would be perfect.. no 405 traffic to deal with, close to the Issaquah Alps which has probably one of the densest concentration of caches on the planet, and you can hop on I90 and in a few minutes be in Seattle - which is arguably the easiest corridor in and out of the city, or by traveling thirty minutes the other direction (East) be in the glorious Cascade Mtns.

have you experienced a rush hour commute in latee land? Our area is not number one in anything often, but we were recently given the "not so distinguished" award of having the longest commute time in the nation.

if it were me, I would look for a place in North Bend (motels mostly), Issaquah or the Woodinville/Redmond area.. Issaquah would be perfect.. no 405 traffic to deal with, close to the Issaquah Alps which has probably one of the densest concentration of caches on the planet, and you can hop on I90 and in a few minutes be in Seattle - which is arguably the easiest corridor in and out of the city, or by traveling thirty minutes the other direction (East) be in the glorious Cascade Mtns.

VK lives in LaLa land, he knows about freeway traffic.

I used to live there too.. your right, it's quite bad, but it's not the same.. down there, you have way more cars on the road, but also way more options to get in and out of places.. not like Seattle where 90% of the traffic on the roads is heading towards Seattle in the morning (from North, South, East, and even from West via ferries), and then going the opposite way in the evenings, all on just three major routes.. in LA, you have dozens of major routes.. options such as HOT lanes, and reasonable mass transit options (better then up here anyway) and we aren't number one without reason..

anyway.. just trying to point out that summer driving on our major arterials, is just not fun

I used to live there too.. your right, it's quite bad, but it's not the same.. down there, you have way more cars on the road, but also way more options to get in and out of places.. not like Seattle where 90% of the traffic on the roads is heading towards Seattle in the morning (from North, South, East, and even from West via ferries), and then going the opposite way in the evenings, all on just three major routes.. in LA, you have dozens of major routes.. options such as HOT lanes, and reasonable mass transit options (better then up here anyway) and we aren't number one without reason..

anyway.. just trying to point out that summer driving on our major arterials, is just not fun

I agree, I avoid 405 as much as I can. In fact, from Renton, I would likely take SR900 (Renton-Issaquah Road).

There are only two motels in North Bend.

Check out Woodinville and Monroe.

Monroe might not be too convenient for those flying into SeaTac.

Neither's Carnation.

At least it's close to the destination. Someone flying into Seatac would have drive through or past Carnation to get to Monroe, plus it's probably a two hour drive just to get to the airport, and factoring in adding extra time for airport security and other related factors, you would probably have to leave at least three hours early. Not fun if you have an early morning flight. :D

At least it's close to the destination. Someone flying into Seatac would have drive through or past Carnation to get to Monroe, plus it's probably a two hour drive just to get to the airport, and factoring in adding extra time for airport security and other related factors, you would probably have to leave at least three hours early. Not fun if you have an early morning flight. :D

Baring major traffic problems, from my house in Monroe to my work in Totem Lake - 25 minutes. An additional 20-30 minutes to South Center, and 10-15 to SeaTac...roughly 1 hr 10 minutes...and I've done it a few times.

Someone flying into Seatac would have drive through or past Carnation to get to Monroe

Methinks you need to look at a road map. :D The shortest, fastest route to Monroe is I-405 north to Hwy 522 (Woodinville), and boom, you're there. Routing through Carnation is much longer, with less freeway.

Once you're in Monroe, it's a straight shot down Hwy 203 to Carnation, that's certainly true. However, I bet that two-lane road will be clogged just a bit on GW weekend.

Someone flying into Seatac would have drive through or PAST Carnation to get to Monroe

Methinks you need to look at a road map. :laughing: The shortest, fastest route to Monroe is I-405 north to Hwy 522 (Woodinville), and boom, you're there. Routing through Carnation is much longer, with less freeway.

Once you're in Monroe, it's a straight shot down Hwy 203 to Carnation, that's certainly true. However, I bet that two-lane road will be clogged just a bit on GW weekend.

I never said that going through Carnation is the only route to Monroe. (Using Past in a loose sense)

Someone flying into Seatac would have drive through or past Carnation to get to Monroe

Methinks you need to look at a road map. <_< The shortest, fastest route to Monroe is I-405 north to Hwy 522 (Woodinville), and boom, you're there. Routing through Carnation is much longer, with less freeway.

We've (climbing buddies returning from Leavenworth) done some time trials coming from Monroe to I405/Hwy 520. It's been consistently 5 minutes faster to head south from Monroe, thru Duval, over to Novelty Hill Rd and on to 520.

Didn't know whether this warranted another thread so I figure I'd ask this here too: any restaurant recommendations? Casual/caching attire friendly preferred and inexpensive is always a plus of course. We'll be heading down to Portland at some point so anything down there for lunch would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Didn't know whether this warranted another thread so I figure I'd ask this here too: any restaurant recommendations? Casual/caching attire friendly preferred and inexpensive is always a plus of course. We'll be heading down to Portland at some point so anything down there for lunch would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There are tons of great restaurants here in all price ranges. If you could narrow the WA areas down, it would be easier to offer good suggestions. Also, any cuisine preferences? This being the Pacific Northwest, we have lots of great seafood and Asian options, in addition to standard fare.

There are tons of great restaurants here in all price ranges. If you could narrow the WA areas down, it would be easier to offer good suggestions. Also, any cuisine preferences? This being the Pacific Northwest, we have lots of great seafood and Asian options, in addition to standard fare.

Local specialties are great (seafood and Asian area a couple of faves actually)! No specific cuisine preferences, we'll try pretty much anything. We'll be in town for a whole week and will be keeping to the Seattle/Tacoma area (say within 30 miles). No specific caching plans so we're flexible and can even base a day around where we're planning on eating.

If you are going to try to get to the Seattle Waterfront and do not mind something a little more spendy I recommend The Crab Pot

They have these huge steamer pots of seafood for parties of 2 or more. Also you are right on the old waterfront and close to Pike place Market.

Let me know if you are going to cache in the Renton, Bellevue, Kenmore, Bothell or Woodenville area and I can help out a bit more specifically. I'm right in Kenmore and know a few great places all over

In Federal Way and Renton, Jimmy Mac's Roadhouse is one of my favorites - great yeast rolls, and their blackened ribeye is wonderful.

Izzy's Pizza has a great buffet - pizza, hot food, salad, dessert - Lacey (exit 107 from I5) and Kelso (exit 39) are on the way to Portland (plus several locations in the Portland area).

If you are going to try to get to the Seattle Waterfront and do not mind something a little more spendy I recommend The Crab Pot

They have these huge steamer pots of seafood for parties of 2 or more. Also you are right on the old waterfront and close to Pike place Market.

Let me know if you are going to cache in the Renton, Bellevue, Kenmore, Bothell or Woodenville area and I can help out a bit more specifically. I'm right in Kenmore and know a few great places all over

As a matter of fact we're staying in Renton at the Holiday Inn so anything within 5-10 miles would be great. :drama: Added the Crab Pot and Pike Place Market to our list.

In Federal Way and Renton, Jimmy Mac's Roadhouse is one of my favorites - great yeast rolls, and their blackened ribeye is wonderful.

Izzy's Pizza has a great buffet - pizza, hot food, salad, dessert - Lacey (exit 107 from I5) and Kelso (exit 39) are on the way to Portland (plus several locations in the Portland area).

Looks like Jimmy Mac's is real close to where we'll be staying, marked that and Izzy's as possibilities. :lol:

McMenamin's has several locations around the Northwest. They have good food & beer in unique settings. Some of their locations even have hotels.

If you will be in Portland you have to go by VooDoo Doughnuts.

Will keep an eye out for McMenamins locations and added Voodoo Doughnuts as a stop in Portland. :laughing:

As a matter of fact we're staying in Renton at the Holiday Inn so anything within 5-10 miles would be great. :blink: Added the Crab Pot and Pike Place Market to our list.

Looks like Jimmy Mac's is real close to where we'll be staying, marked that and Izzy's as possibilities. :D

McMenamin's has several locations around the Northwest. They have good food & beer in unique settings. Some of their locations even have hotels.

Will keep an eye out for McMenamins locations and added Voodoo Doughnuts as a stop in Portland. :mad:

Jimmy Mac's is walking distance from the Holiday Inn. Good steaks there as well as the rolls. Expect to throw your peanut shells on the floor. Grab some from the barrel on your way in.

I live about 4 miles north of there. Shoot me an email (or PM) when you get in, maybe I can show you around a bit.

As a matter of fact we're staying in Renton at the Holiday Inn so anything within 5-10 miles would be great. :blink: Added the Crab Pot and Pike Place Market to our list.

Looks like Jimmy Mac's is real close to where we'll be staying, marked that and Izzy's as possibilities. :)

Will keep an eye out for McMenamins locations and added Voodoo Doughnuts as a stop in Portland. :mad:

Jimmy Mac's is walking distance from the Holiday Inn. Good steaks there as well as the rolls. Expect to throw your peanut shells on the floor. Grab some from the barrel on your way in.

I live about 4 miles north of there. Shoot me an email (or PM) when you get in, maybe I can show you around a bit.

Will do. :D

As a matter of fact we're staying in Renton at the Holiday Inn so anything within 5-10 miles would be great. :laughing: Added the Crab Pot and Pike Place Market to our list.

Looks like Jimmy Mac's is real close to where we'll be staying, marked that and Izzy's as possibilities. :(

Will keep an eye out for McMenamins locations and added Voodoo Doughnuts as a stop in Portland. :(

Ditto. (but for me it's two miles and south...) I'll 'escort' you to a couple of local night caches if you'd like.

As a matter of fact we're staying in Renton at the Holiday Inn so anything within 5-10 miles would be great. :laughing: Added the Crab Pot and Pike Place Market to our list.

Looks like Jimmy Mac's is real close to where we'll be staying, marked that and Izzy's as possibilities. :(

Will keep an eye out for McMenamins locations and added Voodoo Doughnuts as a stop in Portland. :(

Ditto. (but for me it's two miles and south...) I'll 'escort' you to a couple of local night caches if you'd like.

Cool. :D

Are you from out of State? Just up the road on 169 in the Maple Valley area is some great Caching and Breakfast is great at Gloria's in Maple Valley.

There's also the Testy Chef. Then you could hit all the caches at Danville Trails or Sugarloaf. Yeah, I'm a shill for MV.

Edited by pca6661(Phil Andrews)

There might be a couple of those I haven't done and would love to.

Looks like Jimmy Mac's is real close to where we'll be staying, marked that and Izzy's as possibilities. :D

Hmmmm...maybe a mini get together in the making? :(

Are you from out of State? Just up the road on 169 in the Maple Valley area is some great Caching and Breakfast is great at Gloria's in Maple Valley.

There's also the Testy Chef. Then you could hit all the caches at Danville Trails or Sugarloaf. Yeah, I'm a shill for MV.

I'll keep those in mind.

Midnight Geocoin Madness will be held in the Redmond Marriott Downtown. The Group discount code is GEOGEOA

As a matter of fact we're staying in Renton at the Holiday Inn so anything within 5-10 miles would be great. ;) Added the Crab Pot and Pike Place Market to our list.

Will keep an eye out for McMenamins locations and added Voodoo Doughnuts as a stop in Portland. :blink:

Cool. B)

Hmmmm...maybe a mini get together in the making? :D

It looks like this will take place Tues the 6th. I'd suggest meeting about 9:30 at the parking co-ords for Nighttime Isn't Just For Sleeping.

As a matter of fact we're staying in Renton at the Holiday Inn so anything within 5-10 miles would be great. ;) Added the Crab Pot and Pike Place Market to our list.

Will keep an eye out for McMenamins locations and added Voodoo Doughnuts as a stop in Portland. :blink:

Cool. B)

Hmmmm...maybe a mini get together in the making? :D

It looks like this will take place Tues the 6th. I'd suggest meeting about 9:30 at the parking co-ords for Nighttime Isn't Just For Sleeping.

That should be fine for us. I'll PM you my cell number.

Hmmmm...maybe a mini get together in the making? :lol:

If you're planning on doing my Glow in The Dark cache, there is a black light stored in an ammo can at the reference point in the additional way points section.

Looks like Jimmy Mac's is real close to where we'll be staying, marked that and Izzy's as possibilities. :o

Will keep an eye out for McMenamins locations and added Voodoo Doughnuts as a stop in Portland. :lol:

Cool. :o

Hmmmm...maybe a mini get together in the making? :lol:

I will be there at9:30.

That was a fun time. We met between 9:30 and 9:45 and headed off to do the caches. They found all three of my night caches and we headed our seperate ways about 1:15am. I only had to do some maintainence on one set of glints so everything worked.

Thanks for sharing your brilliant night caches! It was truly a fun time!

That was a fun time. We met between 9:30 and 9:45 and headed off to do the caches. They found all three of my night caches and we headed our seperate ways about 1:15am. I only had to do some maintainence on one set of glints so everything worked.

Thanks for sharing your brilliant night caches! It was truly a fun time!

Agreed, had a great time. Sometime today, I might find time to log the caches too. For some reason I slept in and much of the day's work has collapsed into fewer hours. Oh well, I had fun.