Beep Beep! Naatsédlózii Roadrunner 'Cache Me If You Can' Geocoin!

Odyssey Voyager

hello again everybody, i have several geocoin ideas on the drawing board, but as usual...the funds are very limited, so i can't have them all produced! anyway, now that the Trojan Horse Design is retired, i thought it would be a good time to produce a new project. this geocoin is still in the design phase, so i'd like to see if there is any interest in this item from the forum members and geocoin collectors here.

as you can see from the image below, this will be a shaped geocoin, it will be 2 inches long, 3.5 mm thick, with a 2 dimensional front and reverse side. i have several metal finishes in mind, but i will limit them to "antique metal finishes" to enhance the front design. this geocoin is shaped and designed to resemble the "Greater Roadrunner" bird, also known as the "Chaparral Cock". The official latin name of the bird is "Geococcyx", but you probably best remember this bird as the one featured in the Warner Brothers Looney Tunes Saturday morning cartoons with Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner. beep beep! (by the way, the actual bird does not make the "beep beep" sound ;) ) anyway, this bird is very common in the Southwestern United States and especially in my home state of New Mexico, where the roadrunner is the Official State Bird! The Native American Tribes of this area, including the Hopi, Pueblo, and Navajo, believed that seeing a roadrunner was a sign of good fortune, and it protected humans from the Evil Spirits. maybe this protection is also why the roadrunner was never caught by the evil coyote! ;) this speedy animal also reminds me of the quick "park and grab" geocachers and the ones that race to a new cache as soon as it is published so they can log one more "first to find" notch on their belt!

so anyway, these are just a few of the reasons for the theme behind this geocoin.

i have not decided on a name for this project yet, but here is a list of possible names i've come up with:

~ Geocachius Rapidus

~ Geocachius Supersonicus

~ Geocachius Velocitus

~ Fast to Find

~ Pronto Pedro

~ Quickie Cacher

~ Naatsédlózii (pronounced [na-ad-sed-loh-sai] which means "roadrunner" in the Navajo language)

i'd appreciate some feedback on this project from the forum members here. also, let me know if you like any of the names on my list, or suggest a new name! if your suggestion is used for the official name, you might just win a FREE geocoin as a reward! as for the reverse side, or back of the geocoin...well, it will be a REALLY fun design! the mint company and myself are fine tuning the back art work as you read this, but trust me, it will be pretty cool! i'll leave it as a surprise teaser for now! :) so, thank you all for the feedback, ideas, and suggestions!

1ba42fb7-7398-47dc-b0cb-1008dddbb359.jpg

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

Cool looking coin, tell me when they're available and I'll get one! ;)

My idea for the name of the coin would be something like...

"Cache me if you Can" or "Cache me if you Coin"----- It sounds better when you say it with a British accent.

Lol ;)

"Cache me if you Can" or "Cache me if you Coin" thats a good one! i like it! :)

Eartha totally stole my idea of incorpporating Acme into the coin name! LOL! :):D:unsure::P:lol:

I always loved the Looney Tunes cartoons when I was growing up, with Marvin the Martian topping my list of favorites along with the Coyote-and-Roadrunner ones. I always loved all of the schemes and plotting involved, and how everything had "latin" names.

Therefore, for my suggestion of the name, how about "Geocachius Geocoinicus" or "Geococcyx Geocoinicus." The 2nd one might get people to look up the word geococcyx and learn about the state bird of NM. I can remember seeing some when I was in southern TX few years back, but when I was in NM (Cimarron), I didn't see any.

BTW...my son loved the glowing Trojan Horse coin that we won in your poker cointest. It is a very nice coin. You always have good designs, though, so that is no surprise, and I look forward to seeing this one come to fruition as well.

Edited by SgtMikal

I just love the Navaho language!!! WOW!!! I saw the pronounciation and... it looks like a language from the elfs of the lord of the rings.... :unsure:

I hope I am not offending anyone!! I love native american civilization!!! B)

And it sounds so strange and difficult that now I can understand the movie "the Navaho code" when the american army used the navaho as a code language in WWII with Japanese!! :lol: And what makes me laugh??? I remember a Japanese soldier who heard in a radio the navaho language... saying to his officer! I can not understand what they say! It is like someone is speaking english underwater! (I do not remmeber the exact words...) :P

Well in case you want something to look scientific...

ACMEtalis Orthinonyx, the Bipbip Runnerius :):P:D

thank you all for the replies and comments. i don't know if you have seen it or not, but there is another "roadrunner" geocoin that was produced a few years ago. here is the picture:

8d67299c-7761-40fc-a3ca-43a42d9df4f6.jpg

as you can see, it is a cute geocoin, based on the cartoon character, and it features a cartoon icon too. i'm sure this one came from the ACME company! :D

the movie that "Gatoulis" was referring to, is called "Windtalkers" (2002) here in the United States. it is a true story based on the Native American Soldier "code talkers" of World War II, who were able to transmit and receive top secret messages in a form of their unwritten languages. many of these languages were not written and recorded until just a few years ago, and they are in danger of being lost forever, since there are very few people that still speak them. the Navajo have a very beautiful language, and inspired some of the ideas behind this project. :)

Code Talkers Wikipedia Information

the "code talkers" also have their very own Congressional Gold Medal! :P

CodetTakerMedal.jpg

I am brand new to geocaching and am still learning...or trying to. What are geocoins and what are they used for?

their biggest "use" is to deplete your bank account of monetary funds. :D

seriously though, a geocoin is what we call a "trackable item". among trackable items are travel bugs, geocoins, other trackable coins, and pathtags (although some coins and pathtags are tracked at websites other than geocaching.com). a trackable item is "activated" or entered into the tracking system online, and you can then place it in a geocache and watch it travel online as other cachers discover and move it from cache to cache, or you can log it into caches yourself and keep it with you or let others "discover" it. some collectors like to buy them brand new and do not ever activate them, but simply display them as decorative items or as an investment item to be sold or traded for later.

i hope this helps. you may get more responses if you start a new thread here at the forum. don't worry, people here are always willing to help or answer your questions. good luck, and happy geocoin collecting! :P

thank you all for the replies and comments. i don't know if you have seen it or not, but there is another "roadrunner" geocoin that was produced a few years ago. here is the picture:

8d67299c-7761-40fc-a3ca-43a42d9df4f6.jpg

as you can see, it is a cute geocoin, based on the cartoon character, and it features a cartoon icon too. i'm sure this one came from the ACME company! :D

the movie that "Gatoulis" was referring to, is called "Windtalkers" (2002) here in the United States. it is a true story based on the Native American Soldier "code talkers" of World War II, who were able to transmit and receive top secret messages in a form of their unwritten languages. many of these languages were not written and recorded until just a few years ago, and they are in danger of being lost forever, since there are very few people that still speak them. the Navajo have a very beautiful language, and inspired some of the ideas behind this project. :P

Code Talkers Wikipedia Information

the "code talkers" also have their very own Congressional Gold Medal! :P

CodetTakerMedal.jpg

WOW!! What a lovely coin with the road runner! I didn't know its existed!

Oh! Windtalkers!!!! Hey!!! I like that!!! Unfortunatelly in Greece the movie came as "The Navajo code"! I hate when they do that! Sometimes we get lost by this one! I am trying to find a movie wit hte title that I know but it is not the original title! :unsure:

Oh my.... I love that medal!!!!! WOW!!!!! ...When you say gold medal... you mean real gold???

:) Navajo language is in danger to be lost for ever???? Oh!!!! :lol:

I really really hope to save the Native American languages! They are so special!!! And Navajo language just because it was used from military and actually by this many soldiers didn't die and they won battles because of it.... it is a matter of honor for USA not to let this language and any other like that dissapear for ever!!!! (Of course I mean ....except from the great historic reasons.. right? B) )

Geococcyx californianus

Geococcyx velox

Conkling's Roadrunner

Geococcyx californianus conklingi

Are some scientific names for the lesser of the grater roadrunner birds!

The Geococcyx californianus conklingi I think is prehistoric

Road runner belongs to the cuckoo family????????????????????

Can you imagine a roadrunner cuckoo clock???? It will not be a normal clock but a timer for races!!!! :D

I can remember seeing some when I was in southern TX few years back, but when I was in NM (Cimarron), I didn't see any.

the roadrunner doesn't like the cold weather, so Cimarron, New Mexico may be a little too far north for our fair weather feathered friend (say that 10 times really fast!). they are seen more often in southern New Mexico, although there is a cute roadrunner that lives in the brush right behind my nearest "Whataburger" in Albuquerque (in central New Mexico) where i see him hunting for insects while i'm in the drive-thru waiting for a cheeseburger! :D hey! that would make a good country music song!

"well, i'm standing on a corner

in central Albuquerque

such a fine sight to see

its a bird, my lord

in a fast blue Ford

slowing down to take a look at me

take it cheesy...take it cheeeesy..." :D

I can remember seeing some when I was in southern TX few years back, but when I was in NM (Cimarron), I didn't see any.

the roadrunner doesn't like the cold weather, so Cimarron, New Mexico may be a little too far north for our fair weather feathered friend (say that 10 times really fast!). they are seen more often in southern New Mexico, although there is a cute roadrunner that lives in the brush right behind my nearest "Whataburger" in Albuquerque (in central New Mexico) where i see him hunting for insects while i'm in the drive-thru waiting for a cheeseburger! :D hey! that would make a good country music song!

"well, i'm standing on a corner

in central Albuquerque

such a fine sight to see

its a bird, my lord

in a fast blue Ford

slowing down to take a look at me

take it cheesy...take it cheeeesy..." :lol:

GROAN!!! :D

Ok... I know you will laugh with my stupid question... but is it Beep Beep.. or BIP BIP???? :blink:

How about Geo BIP BIP...? or Bip Bip... or.... Bip Beep?? :P

in the U.S.A. the cartoon roadrunner says, "beep, beep", and that name has already been suggested. :wub:

Technically it is mee meep

Ok... I know you will laugh with my stupid question... but is it Beep Beep.. or BIP BIP???? :blink:

in the U.S.A. the cartoon roadrunner says, "beep, beep", and that name has already been suggested. :wub:

This is absolutely correct!

MEE MEEP!!!

This is absolutely correct!

MEE MEEP!!!

according to wikipedia...they are both "technically" correct...lol...

from Wikipedia:

"The Road Runner vocalizes only with a signature sound, "Beep, Beep" (Sometimes Meep Meep), and an occasional tongue noise. The "Beep, Beep" was recorded by Paul Julian."

and cartoon episode number 2 was actually titled "Beep, Beep"

Technical Road Runner Stuff

More Technical Road Runner Stuff

I am only wondering what is the real voice of the road runner bird! :D

Honestly, I've never heard one. :D

here is what they REALLY sound like, but its a rather difficult sound to describe...a rapid clacking sound, maybe?! :P

Nah........ THIS is what they sound like.

:P

:P their sound is ugly!!! :D Well.. at least for our ears! I am sure that we sound ugly for many other anmals! :D

their sound is like a crow with a cold... or a frog that is bored... or... if you step on a frog accidently! :( Sorry Signal!!! :)

They are eating mice???? I thought they were eating seeds! Hmm... it was not the best idea in the cartoon to show that the roadrunner is huntin mickey Mouse or Speedy Gonzales! :D

I loved the dancing roadrunner video!!! :P and the music is perfect for it!!!

And... I laughed so much with ngrrfan post and the video!!! :D

That beep beep was amazing!!! I was trying to see where Coyote was!!! :lol:

i have seen many roadrunners, but that video is the FIRST time i have ever actually heard one! they usually do not make any noise at all. i have a feeling that the sound we hear on the video, is a mimicking sound they make to attract reptiles, rodents, or insects. after watching many videos of the roadrunner, it is amazing how unafraid of humans they are! i have a feeling that many native americans and pioneers, must have made the roadrunner a friendly pet. i understand now why the roadrunner was considered "good luck" and was thought to have "special powers". :P