Somerset Geocoin?

Ok so as i've been told there is no Somerset Geocoin I was having some thoughts..

Even though im relitively new to geocaching, I would very much like to have a coin that represents me.

Being a great fan of where i come from a Somerset Geocoin i thought would be appropriate.

This is what i have come up with so far:

Somerset.jpg

Very roughly my idea is:

Light yellow is raised, Dark Yellow is recessed (also the black is recessed except the black inside ring, just imagine that isn't there!) The text is recessed in a solid metal band (inspiration taken from the Essex parks coin)

Finished in Polished Gold. The text is the Somerset Motto and the Dragon of course is the county image (despite not having an official flag, the dragon is seen on the unofficial one)

2nd layout:

Somerset3.jpg

Same as above, finished in polished gold, different font, added the GC logos

Not flush, the gold very slighly raised above the enamel.

Now as ive said these are only rough ideas, i would be looking for areas to improve and ideas for the back design. Things that represent Somerset etc.

And furthermore would people be interested in such a coin? i only want a couple for myself so the other 95 odd would be "up for grabs" par-say. (based on a 100 run)

I thought here would be more appropriate than the Geocoin forum as its not anywhere near a completed design and i want some local imput!

Edited by SDewer

So many possibles......the tor, Pilton festival, the Levels, the carnivals, the caving, the cheese!, the coastline, the battles (Sedgemoor), Exmoor, the Mendips, the Quantocks, the Sweet track, the cider, the wassail, the willow growing, the wurzels....

So much to choose from!

Yep at the moment i have no ideas for the other side!

I like the idea of the Map, Something cider related (It is the home of the stuff after all!) or the tor!

I suppose those are the front runners at the moment!

What do people think of the design i've played about with so far?

would people be interested in buying it? (covering the costs and all that jazz)

The Cider theme was played with for the Weston Mega event..

I like the Glastonbury Tor idea, and Americans (and thats where 50% of our Cornish Coins ended up) seem to like coins with a bit of a story.

I like the dragon idea that you've used.

I am from Near W-S-M and i have a great love of Cider. So cider was the route i have gone down first :D and i've come up with this:

Back-and-front-1-Mark-2-web.gif

the front is slightly updated (text and markers) (i think im pretty happy with that now, they grey/cream needs playing with though) and ignore the red spots, thats just from the Image compression to GIF.

The reverse is of course Somerset with an apple with the X logo in it.

So this would be a fully enamelled coin. (6 colours)

Im also not sure about the text on the reverse,maybe:

"Geocachers of Somerset"

Maybe Adding UK in there somewhere?

"Somerset Geocachers, UK"

"Geocachers of Somerset, UK"

Maybe some west country dialect instead of welcome to cider country?

anyway, more thoughts?

i will try and have a play with Glastonbury Tor

[EDIT]

I had a quick and dirty play with a Glasto Tor Idea:

Back-and-front-Glasto.gif

Tor in relief rather than enamelled. An image something like this I would have thought.

What about coin size? 1.5" or 1.75"?

Edited by SDewer

ok so i will scrap the cider coin and look more at the Glasto Tor Idea.

What should it look like. I need some input into the design now, the quick version i did looks a bit plain i feel (at the moment anyway :D)

Even if you are not from Somerset or wouldn't like to buy the coin, stick your oar in :D

Should it be recessed relief or maybe a coloured enamel version of same sort of image?

what text would you like to see?

Im trying to go for a coin that a few people have input into the overall design as im not going for a personal coin :lol:

Edited by SDewer

Just be aware of copyright with photographs.

COPYRIGHT

All images published on this website are copyrighted. A licence must be obtained before any form of reproduction is made, printed or otherwise. If you wish to reproduce any images please contact us with details of the images you wish to use and how you wish to use them. We will then negotiate reproduction fees for this use with you.

If you use a photograph without permission, you may end up paying a lot of money...

The coin looks very nice so far!

I may or may not be interested in a coin (probably not, got enough already), but some thoughts for what they are worth.

I really like the apple design. The Tor design looks too complex, I can't see it working very well in enamel or anything else on a coin (especially a coin designed to be left outside for long periods). Copyright issues aside, I find myself thinking it needs to be simplified. It looks great on the screen but if it won't transfer to the coin itself it's perhaps better to redesign early. If you're going to do a simple outline drawing based on a photo you can probably find something suitable in the public domain.

The apple design pleases me because it's simple, it sums up where Somerset is and something Somerset is well known for, and the code being stamped over the sea makes it easily legible.

I may or may not be interested in a coin (probably not, got enough already), but some thoughts for what they are worth.

I really like the apple design. The Tor design looks too complex, I can't see it working very well in enamel or anything else on a coin (especially a coin designed to be left outside for long periods). Copyright issues aside, I find myself thinking it needs to be simplified. It looks great on the screen but if it won't transfer to the coin itself it's perhaps better to redesign early. If you're going to do a simple outline drawing based on a photo you can probably find something suitable in the public domain.

The apple design pleases me because it's simple, it sums up where Somerset is and something Somerset is well known for, and the code being stamped over the sea makes it easily legible.

I do really like the apple design myself, its a bit more colourful, i tthink it looks pretty :D

i might just Xpost this over to the geocoin forum and try and pick up some ideas as well there.

Just another thought, since Somerset is home to Cheddar you might want to put something relating to cheese as well as an apple?

How would you put cheese on there?

im not sure how i would do it, and then the text at the bottom would need to change.. thoughts? :laughing:

Although cheese is undoubtably made in Sumerset, cheddar cheese is named after a process in it's manufacture - cheddaring.

Here are the latest takes on the designs:

Transparent enamels for the county and sea, with textured waves under the sea and another texture under the county... look carefully :laughing:)

Back-and-front-1-Mark-3-web.gif

What is the Feeling about adding a hole to the top middle?

Back-and-front-1-Mark-3-HOLE-web.gif

The updated version(s) of the landmark 3d back (well 2 new versions):

Tor-2.gif

And (which i like best of the 3 glasto tor pictures):

Tor-3.gif

Where's it to? is how us Somerset folk say Where is it? (which i thought would be appropriate for a geocoin!) For those who are unfamiliar with our language over here in the south west ;)

Edited by SDewer

Not sure what the hole adds to the coin, unless it's a microcoin that doubles as a token the same size as a pound coin.

I prefer the second tor design to the first, again with the query about how well the detail will come out in the finished product.

Regarding my previous comment about cheese, it seems like a shame not to mention it but I'm struggling to think how to actually include it. A wedge of cheese might work although might just look like a yellowish blob cluttering the coin design.

So on that basis, all things being equal I'd go for your first design here. It's starting to grow on me

and - I'd suggest you get some actual quotes so you know how much you'd need to find to get the coins produced..

Yep that's on the card to do.. any suggestions of where to get them minted?

Thought i would get the majority of the design legwork done first (i quite enjoy it really)

From some other points that have been raised, here is a modified version of the first coin:

Back-and-front-1-Mark-5.gif

Shows where Domerset is and drops the cider text but keeps the Apple logo.

the black outlining is raised polished gold as before.

Edited by SDewer

A couple of points that'll probably get me shot down in flames....

1. People have traditionally drilled a hole in their own coins when releasing them into the wild to decrease their "stealability" - that is, to make them less attractive to those collectors who'd prefer not to pay for their own. If you add a hole to the coin when you produce it, a lot will end up with two holes.

2. Somerset has lasted for 10 years without a coin, and the vast majority of Somerset cachers do not use these forums. Why not wait a while, attend a few local events, and talk to the people on the ground about what they'd like to see on the coin. You might find you get a lot more takers, and pre-sales too :P

Good luck :lol:

A couple of points that'll probably get me shot down in flames....

2. Somerset has lasted for 10 years without a coin, and the vast majority of Somerset cachers do not use these forums. Why not wait a while, attend a few local events, and talk to the people on the ground about what they'd like to see on the coin. You might find you get a lot more takers, and pre-sales too :P

Good luck :lol:

Im actually attending my first local event in a couple of weeks a CITO event in Worlebury Woods, Weston. So i was going to pitch he idea there as well ;)

BIG UPDATE:

The coin is going to be produced! and here we have the Die Art:

6ACP-03184-V05mod.jpg

Explanation:

Frontside

Shows a dragon which is the county emblem and the text "All the People of Somerset" which is the county motto. "Somersaet ealle" is the motto in its Olde English form.

Reverse

Shows the St. Michaels tower on top of Glastonbury Tor in 3d relief, which is a very famous Somerset landmark.

pictures:

http://www.knoll-farm.co.uk/L2/Countryside...nbury%20Tor.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/content/imag...wto_240x350.jpg

http://www.draper-of-glastonbury.com/image...tonbury_tor.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/pho...tonbury-tor.jpg

It is a site for lots of walks, there is a cache up near it as well. Glastonbury (well near it) plays host to the world famous Glastonbury music festival as well:

Glastonbury

Glastonbury Tor

It has the text "Welcome to the Westcountry" as somerset is situated in the southwest of England, and collectivly with Cornwall, Devon and possibly Dorset are known as the Westcountry of which Somerset is the gateway to it.

Somerset

It also has the text "Where's it to?" which is a Somerset colloquialism for "Where is it?" which i thought was pretty apt for geocaching :rolleyes:

so that is the coin, what do you guys think?

Im not entirely sure of the finish yet, im thinking foggy/misty gold.

its just great seeing the finished die art and it just looks amazing in my opinion!

I like it, and would also buy some.

Especially now that I've established that Bath is in the ceremonial county of Somerset.

I am also very fond of Glastonbury; have climbed up the Tor many times (but not since I've discovered Geocaching, around 1 year ago). I must head down there soon.

I like it, and would also buy some.

Especially now that I've established that Bath is in the ceremonial county of Somerset.

I am also very fond of Glastonbury; have climbed up the Tor many times (but not since I've discovered Geocaching, around 1 year ago). I must head down there soon.

What are you waiting for?

There's a Trad, Multi and Earth cache at the Tor, and a couple of trads around the town!

Glastonbury Tor http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...C1C5D&log=y

Towers and Tors of Somerset http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...CXHPX&log=y

Cache Across Somerset #9 Glastonbury http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1R3E1&log=y

Glastonbury Holy Thorn http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2484R&log=y

Take a Break http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...27HN7&log=y

Chalice Well http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...28KWT&log=y

:drama::laughing:

I love 'where's it to?' just brilliant! I get the mick taken out of me for saying 'where's he going to?' quite often, it sounds fine to me, being born in Plymouth and now living in Bristol :-)

Im so glad you like it!

the amount of times i had to explain myself when i was at uni was ridiculous! but i think it is so apt for a geocoin.

i am so happy with the die art (the 2 points mentioned in this thread have been noted and will be changed, Thanks by the way!) i cant wait to see the samples!

That looks very smart. I look forward to seeing one "in the metal".

MrsB :)

I cant wait either. I just hope everyone likes it, as most of the people who have contributed to this and the other thread have helped mould the coin into the final design seen in the die art :unsure:

Were these coins ever made and sold?

If so are how could I get hold of a couple?

Thanks

Yes - They were made, and sold... and sold out a couple of years ago. You could try watching out for any that might come up for sale on Ebay and it might be worth posting in the UK facebook groups (e.g. Somerset and Bristol Geocachers, Geocaching UK) in case anyone has one they'd be willing to sell to you.

MrsB