Paperless Caching

I had my very first attempt at paperless caching this weekend, and failed miserably. Of the six caches on my list, I came back with one find. There were a variety of problems:

1) I didn't know the size of the cache going in. This might have helped, though I suppose a cache is a cache is a cache, in some regards.

2) At least two of the caches I was looking for hadn't been found in ages. I'd pulled their coordinates into my GPSr because they were on my path, but then couldn't find them. Only when logging them did I learn how long it'd been since they'd been found.

3) Two were mystery caches. Though I wrote down the clues, I did it in shorthand, and having the full page would certainly have helped me find both of them (I actually did find one of these two.)

4) I didn't have access to hints, old logs, or anything in the cache description.

When going the paperless route, what do you do to avoid these problems? Any advice for my next time out? I had a great time hiking through Griffith Park, but it sure would have been nice to have come out of it with more finds.

I had my very first attempt at paperless caching this weekend, and failed miserably. Of the six caches on my list, I came back with one find. There were a variety of problems:

1) I didn't know the size of the cache going in. This might have helped, though I suppose a cache is a cache is a cache, in some regards.

2) At least two of the caches I was looking for hadn't been found in ages. I'd pulled their coordinates into my GPSr because they were on my path, but then couldn't find them. Only when logging them did I learn how long it'd been since they'd been found.

3) Two were mystery caches. Though I wrote down the clues, I did it in shorthand, and having the full page would certainly have helped me find both of them (I actually did find one of these two.)

4) I didn't have access to hints, old logs, or anything in the cache description.

When going the paperless route, what do you do to avoid these problems? Any advice for my next time out? I had a great time hiking through Griffith Park, but it sure would have been nice to have come out of it with more finds.

When we talk about "paperless" caching, we usually mean that we load the cache data into an electronic device that saves us from printing the cache pages on paper.

When we talk about "paperless" caching, we usually mean that we load the cache data into an electronic device that saves us from printing the cache pages on paper.

I think you nailed it. Going out without any info at all except for coordinates is not paperless.

Edit : well, I guess it is paperless in the literal sense, but not what we call paperless geocaching ;)

Edited by Chrysalides

What I did was I went along the Google Map, chose the caches along the route I wanted to do, and downloaded them to my GPSr.

Clearly, there are steps I am missing. Equally clearly, I don't know what those are. I can't do PQs, since I'm not a premium member.

Is there an idiot's guide to paperless caching somewhere?

What I did was I went along the Google Map, chose the caches along the route I wanted to do, and downloaded them to my GPSr.

Clearly, there are steps I am missing. Equally clearly, I don't know what those are. I can't do PQs, since I'm not a premium member.

Do you have an iPod, or a PDA device like a Palm Pilot or an iPaq? That's what you need for paperless caching.

If your not a Premium member - your going to find it VERY difficult to do true paperless Geocaching.

If your not a Premium member - your going to find it VERY difficult to do true paperless Geocaching.

I see... I just got a Garmin eTrex Venture HC.

So is the best thing to do, then, to hand-type the important stuff in?

Or should I really just stick to paper caching?

Stick to paper caching for now, and if you're serious about paperless caching, get a PDA like an old Palm Pilot, and a premium membership.

Stick to paper caching for now, and if you're serious about paperless caching, get a PDA like an old Palm Pilot, and a premium membership.

That's about what I figured. I'm leaving a week from tomorrow on a month-long road trip, and I have several hundred caches along the way that I want to find. Was trying to figure out a way to keep from having to print a novel of cache pages to take with me, but I guess that'll have to wait for another day.

I have found a way to essentially copy and paste only the vital information into Word. That's served me well so far; I can get 2-3 caches on one page, rather a page or two (or three) per cache.

Thanks for the help.

you can also try to do it manually with your GPS receiver, if it has any option of saving any sort of information along with the waypoints. that's what i did before i become a PM, i was browsing the site looking for caches that would interest me, saved the waypoints into my GPS and manually typed into the description for each waypoint any information from the cache pages that i deemed important/useful, mostly size and any hints there might be. it worked quite well for the most part like that, for the couple of caches i was doing per day. however, that requires you to actually read the cache pages before heading out.

Edited by dfx

when I was using the Venture HC, I added size / difficulty / terrain to the waypoint name, and the hints (if any) to waypoint notes. Of course, I was doing it through GSAK, from the results of pocket queries, so it is a lot easier than entering it myself.

I did something similar with my old Magellan explorist 500.

GSAK is the best tool for making a non paperless unit closer to paperless.

I have a paperless setup too using a Palm Pilot. But many times I don't even use it. I'll print just the map page from geocaching.com that shows the caches I'm interested in. Beside each cache symbol I note the D/T/size, hints, date last found, etc. That way I have everything important available at a glance.

I do a lot of puzzle caches, and I always solve them at home and check my solution before leaving home. The vast majority of puzzle caches are 1-2 miles from the published coordinates.

I use my cell phone with an app for caching. That's another option to go paperless. I also use a stand alone GPS. You don't necessarily need a PDA type of device. I use my cell phone to get the cache info because the compass doesn't work very well in the application but I have found caches with it. A GPS'r will work better. I am a premium member but with a good smartphone and an app for caching you don't need a premium membership.

I have your exact model of GPSr. Here's how I go paperless:

First, I read the cache page, including hints and other finders' posts. Then I download the .loc file.

Next, I open the .loc file in a text editor. Then I replace the nameid and CDATA strings with important info. The nameid usually becomes the actual cache name instead of its number, and the CDATA string will look like "233 ammocan hollow log". The first three numbers are the size, difficulty and terrain, rounded up to the nearest whole number. After that are hints about the type of cache, placement, and anything else that's helpful.

The nameid string has a maximum of 14 characters. The CDATA string has a maximum of 30 characters. Then I load them on my Garmin using GPSbabel.

In the past, I would write this stuff in a notepad. I still use the notepad, but just for recording what I took and left.

I really shouldn't laugh, but I can't help myself!! :);):) Since you have already been given more than sufficient help, I guess I'll leave it at that. Thanks for the chuckle. I hope you don't mind. :)

Oh man, forget about it. Talk about failed experiments. And you know, beyond the puzzles, it NEVER OCCURRED TO ME that I might be making a mistake, going out with far less information. Which, in retrospect, was stupid. I mean, I'd toyed with typing in some notes, but the data field was too small, and I was feeling pretty lazy about it...

...that is, until I was halfway up what must have been a 40% incline, huffing and puffing and cursing myself for not knowing what size container I was looking for. Calling all of my lifelines, only to discover that they were all out enjoying the beautiful day. And me, all alone with my ignominy, not even knowing whether I was looking for an ammo can or a bison tube.

Man, I felt dumb. It's funny looking back, but not so much while I was out there! ;)

First, I read the cache page, including hints and other finders' posts. Then I download the .loc file.

Next, I open the .loc file in a text editor. Then I replace the nameid and CDATA strings with important info. The nameid usually becomes the actual cache name instead of its number, and the CDATA string will look like "233 ammocan hollow log". The first three numbers are the size, difficulty and terrain, rounded up to the nearest whole number. After that are hints about the type of cache, placement, and anything else that's helpful.

The nameid string has a maximum of 14 characters. The CDATA string has a maximum of 30 characters. Then I load them on my Garmin using GPSbabel.

In the past, I would write this stuff in a notepad. I still use the notepad, but just for recording what I took and left.

Very cool, and very helpful. I'll try that... only this time, I'll try it the old way on all but 1 or 2 of the caches I plan on grabbing. ;)

Ouch! Wouldn't it be worth it, from the labor standpoint alone, to pay the $30 / year for Premium membership and load the .gpx files into GSAK?

I use a Nuvi for both getting to the general vicinity and for my paperless caching. But you do need GSAK, a premium membership, and of course... a Nuvi for that. Works great, though!

Ouch! Wouldn't it be worth it, from the labor standpoint alone, to pay the $30 / year for Premium membership and load the .gpx files into GSAK?

I use a Nuvi for both getting to the general vicinity and for my paperless caching. But you do need GSAK, a premium membership, and of course... a Nuvi for that. Works great, though!

I use an iPhone and my old Garmen Legend.. no paper and can cache on the fly. no downloading... no work... tap the screen a couple of times and I have the nearest caches on display.

No paper.

To be honest, I have a bad habit of getting very into something and then quickly losing interest, so I've held off on placing caches, as well as investing even $30 for a premium membership. My interest doesn't seem to be waning, though, and I just plopped down the money for the eTrex.

So the answer is yes, I do think it's worth it. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Even thirty bucks is hard for me ATM; everything is tied up in the documentary I start shooting next week.

To be honest, I have a bad habit of getting very into something and then quickly losing interest, so I've held off on placing caches, as well as investing even $30 for a premium membership. My interest doesn't seem to be waning, though, and I just plopped down the money for the eTrex.

So the answer is yes, I do think it's worth it. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Even thirty bucks is hard for me ATM; everything is tied up in the documentary I start shooting next week.

Lots of people do just fine without the premium membership, especially when they're still getting to know the game. If it's not in the budget right now, you can still geocache until it is.

When I still used my etrex for caching.....i downloaded cachemagnet and it will load all of the logs and hints and waypoints of each cache into your ipod.....just the cheap old version of the ipod. So I always had the info at my fingertips and my etrex worked well for finding the caches.

I now have an Oregon400T which holds the logs and hints and stuff. But it is not wireless and you cannot retrieve info from the field...although you can share wirelessly among other Oregon or Colorado GPSr in the field.

Have fun! And keep Caching! :D

The iPod (or iPhone) has a Geocaching app.

It's expensive for an app ($9.99) but it is worth it.

If you can use wi-fi before your adventure (at home or in a hotel), it allows you to view caches and save co-ordinates, description, maps, photos, hints and even previous log entries. Then you can view as much or as little of the information you want while you are in "the wild" looking.

I bought the app yesterday and found four caches with it today with my iPod and Garmin. I'm very impressed!

I go almost paperless by writing down the vital info for the cache in a notebook that I generally keep with me anyway. It doesn't avoid all paper, but it usually only uses about a square inch on paper that will have the back written on. Sometimes even that isn't necessary if I enter the coordinates on the GPS at home. :wub: I have been known to write on my hand at times, when I don't want to carry around my notebook.

Assuming your concern is environmental, getting a smartphone or similar device that you don't already have might not be the most effective thing. Electronic devices aren't usually too good for the environment, as far as toxic substances and energy required to produce the item. Better to save the money and donate it to a "green" or other charity. :blink:

Edited by estrelle

For me, paperless is mostly about the convenience. Both in having the cache information when I'm at the location, as well as ease of logging when I'm back from caching. Environment is only a small part of it - I wouldn't print out the entire page even before I went paperless, I'd just write it down or try to remember the details, and do fewer geocaches.

I agree that buying new gadgets to go paperless is rather counter-productive. You can, however, reuse gadgets you already have, or obtain one second-hand.

Edited by Chrysalides