Best GPS on a $220 budget

Hi,

I'm new to Geocaching, but I love the idea and I'm trying to start a group through my school. I have a $300 budget, but I don't want to spend all of it on a GPS so that there are leftovers for other expenses.

The group won't need anything fancy...something that has just the essentials for getting us to the cache will do.

Also, we're in Canada, so no US-only models please.

Hi,

I'm new to Geocaching, but I love the idea and I'm trying to start a group through my school. I have a $300 budget, but I don't want to spend all of it on a GPS so that there are leftovers for other expenses.

The group won't need anything fancy...something that has just the essentials for getting us to the cache will do.

Also, we're in Canada, so no US-only models please.

While it's not primarily a handheld, you might be able to teach them a lot with the Nuvi 550, which has a Geocaching mode, and it's on sale online at CostCo.ca for $219, or $80 off for a limited time.

That's a lot of bang for the buck.

Oregon 200 plus free maps at gpsfiledepot.com

Cheapest price I can find currently is $249.99 at Amazon for the Oregon 200

Delorme PN-40 is $219.99 at amazon.com and comes with free maps and great mapping software.

How well does Delorme Mapping cover Canada?

Here's a hint:

This is the conclusion of the review I linked above: "My only disappointment is the map quality in Canada. I live near Toronto and the same gross errors reported in earlier years are still present in version 2010. However, to be fair, the fact is DeLorme focuses much more on the U.S. map data quality, and even though Canada and Mexico are included, the official name of the software still remains: DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2010. But let us see what DeLorme Street Atlas 2011 brings."

I'm wondering about the new Magellan. I like their units but I hated their CS. If ownership has changed it makes me wonder. I have an Oregon 400t and I just don't really care for it. It's adequate. I thought it would be awesome but I am a tad disappointed.

I find myself often using my old Magellan Meridians instead.

For $200 that new Maggie looks tasty.

I'm wondering about the new Magellan. I like their units but I hated their CS. If ownership has changed it makes me wonder.

Magellan is currently under the ownership of MiTac, which is a GPS company in the Far East, and appears dedicated to the GPS field. MiTac unlike it's previous owner is investing into the products.

I think Magellan would also do a good deal of good customer relations by coming out with their own support forum, supported by actual Magellan employees... like DeLorme does.

---- A little bit of history------

When the Triton's were released, they were held by some investment firm called "Shah Capital Partners", who ran Magellan into the ground. Shah paid 170 million for the company. ( I believe MiTac paid 85 million, which shows you how they ran Magellan into the ground)

When the Explorist were released, Magellan was owned by Thales Inc, a French firm. Thales paid 70 million.

And when the Meridians were released, Magellan was owned by Orbital Sciences Corporation, a firm out of California.

Just in case anyone cared.

pcnation has the oregon 450 for $341 with free shipping and there is a $50 garmin rebate on top of that. If you use bing, you can get another 2.8% back.

-JWP

awesome! wish I new about the $50 rebate, I would've waited another 4 weeks to buy my 450. Maybe not... :D I'm having to much fun with it now, and wouldn't want to wait. :D