Remonument marks

GrizzFlyer

One of my goals this year is to finish recovering all the existing original granite boundary posts on the Ohio-Michigan border. A little over half of them have PID's and are listed in the NGS database, the others are not. (Why? -that's another subject some day). Anyhow, after locating Post 54 (an unlisted mark) in somebody's back yard, I also discovered another mark about 9 meters north. It is a modern style mark, but dated 1913, and labeled as part of a "remon program". Its the first photo below. The second photo shows the original granite boundary post, looking north to the remon mark at the witness post.

Is the purpose of the remon program to re-establish some original point? If it is a township or section corner, why would it be so far from what is known to be the state line? The lightly stamped data on the remon looks like E 2 T 9 S R 6 E, with 1913 under it.

MonroeCoRemon.jpg

UnlistedBM_BoundaryMarker54OHMI_5.jpg

Edited by GrizzFlyer

I think that would be either S 2 T 9 S R 6 E, meaning section 2, township 9 south of the base line and range 6 (townships) east of the principal meridian, or else 3 | 2 showing that it was on the line between sections 2 and 3. Was there any diagram showing which corner of sec 2 it marked, or a dot on a line between those characters?

I'm surprised to see that kind of marker, which looks like a disk on a rod, stamped 1913. So maybe the remonumentation was in the 1960's based on recovering marks of a 1913 survey?

There is, more often than not, no a priori relationship from the base line and meridian to the state lines, and it is probably a coincidence it is that close to the state line marker.

The MI-OH boundary was one discussed in the program that mloser posted about.

One of my goals this year is to finish recovering all the existing original granite boundary posts on the Ohio-Michigan border. A little over half of them have PID's and are listed in the NGS database, the others are not. (Why? -that's another subject some day). Anyhow, after locating Post 54 (an unlisted mark) in somebody's back yard, I also discovered another mark about 9 meters north. It is a modern style mark, but dated 1913, and labeled as part of a "remon program". Its the first photo below. The second photo shows the original granite boundary post, looking north to the remon mark at the witness post.

Is the purpose of the remon program to re-establish some original point? If it is a township or section corner, why would it be so far from what is known to be the state line? The lightly stamped data on the remon looks like E 2 T 9 S R 6 E, with 1913 under it.

MonroeCoRemon.jpg

UnlistedBM_BoundaryMarker54OHMI_5.jpg

Grizz,

I would love to follow that whole line, but I don't usually have enough time when I go back to NE Indiana for family visits. I did visit a few of those stateline monuments a couple years back.

I can't see your cap monument, but based on what I can see, I believe that you probably found a reference monument to the milepost 54 marker. This monument could be part of the 1993 PLSO recovery program and the surveyors could have placed some reference monuments at that time. The stamping fits for the Township and Range for the Michigan Meridian, but would be between sections 4 & 5; so I'm not sure what the E2 would represent. One other possibility is that it could have been a closing corner to the state line for sections 4 & 5.

Kurt

Many of the states in that Area, MI, WI and MN have extensive programs to authenticate and remonument Public Land Survey corners. Usually a private surveyor is tasked with finding analyzing and putting GPS coordinates on existing evidence or prior monuments.

I think it is usually the county that pays for this. In some states the counties have peer review panels that then look at what the surveyor came up with. The idea is to stabilize boundaries of land which are based on the PLSS both with good evidence, reasonably good monumentation, described in a public record and then with a good GPS coordinate on it.

We might be able to devine what it was if we had a coordinate, or we can scope out the vicinity of your Post 54. As has been suggested it could be a point that just happens to be close to the line, or it could be a closing corner on the line, as two examples.

- jlw

I recorded the coords for the Post 54 as N41 43.488 W083 43.482. In messing around with the photo I took of the remon mark, I was able to enhance the numbers a very little bit. It has been uploaded to Photobucket, link is Remon Mark. Loading the photo here loses some of the detail in the upload, maybe the Photobucket image will be a bit better if loaded into a photo editor and resized, but the marks will still be faint. Also, it looks like there might be a 4 in front of the 1913, so the 1913 may not be a date, but actually 41913.

CallawayMT: That monument line is very interesting, and you found a damaged one that I missed. I went back and got that one! The tough ones will be Posts 4, 15, and 22, if they still exist. No PID's, all on private property way back in fields, and all a ways from any access.

Grizz,

Do you have a copy of the 1916 MI-OH Boundary Report? There is a reprint on the Michigan Land Surveyors website:1996 Reprint of 1916 Boundary Report

I bought a copy and it is very well done and great to read while you are retracing.

Kurt

That looks like just what I need. I checked our local library system, they don't have it. They did a nationwide library search for it, only 3 libraries in the nation have this book. 2 libraries at the Univ of Michigan and 1 in Alabama, none of which will lend it. I'll be ordering it tomorrow from the Michigan Land Surveyors. Thanks for the info.

Grizz

====