Oregon 550 quirks

arcs

yet - I've only had it 24 hours but I'm impatient.

1- How do I delete caches from the memory without using Basecamg? You can delete ordinary waypoints from the gps but not caches.

2-it shuts off when I disconnect the usb cable. I want it to stay on.

Why would you want to delete Geocaches? Geocaches are deleted automatically as you mark them found. Geocaches that are not marked found stay on you Oregon until you overwrite them with a new GPX file.

Remember you can only dump one GPX file into your Oregon. If you use GSAK and have multiple databases setup to accommodate multiple PQ's you'll need to create a master database where you can copy and paste all of your data base's into. Then you can dump the one master database into your Oregon, up to I believe 5000 geocaches.

I update mine once a week, (Fri. evening or Sat. morning), and I dump in about 3000 geocaches.

I upload my field notes at the end of every caching day and then delete the field note file off of the Oregon, then I reset the cache count in my Oregon to zero. This way I'm ready for the next caching day.

Why would you want to delete Geocaches? Geocaches are deleted automatically as you mark them found. Geocaches that are not marked found stay on you Oregon until you overwrite them with a new GPX file.

Remember you can only dump one GPX file into your Oregon. If you use GSAK and have multiple databases setup to accommodate multiple PQ's you'll need to create a master database where you can copy and paste all of your data base's into. Then you can dump the one master database into your Oregon, up to I believe 5000 geocaches.

I update mine once a week, (Fri. evening or Sat. morning), and I dump in about 3000 geocaches.

I upload my field notes at the end of every caching day and then delete the field note file off of the Oregon, then I reset the cache count in my Oregon to zero. This way I'm ready for the next caching day.

geocaches arent deleted automatically they just get marked as found therefore dont show up in the unfound ones, they might not show but they are still taking up room

Incorrect - you can have up to 200 separate gpx files on your oregon. Each gpx file can contain any number of geocaches. But the total number the oregon will display is 2K for the lower number models, and 5K for the 550's.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Edited by sduck