Garmin Dakota 20 - broken after one drop

I've only had my Dakota 20 since Christmas, and I haven't used it very much (I usually cache with my partner, and we use his Oregon). Yesterday I dropped my Dakota - while I was seated - and now it rattles and won't pick up satellite.

I think this is ridiculous - these devices are supposed to withstand fairly rough handling. It couldn't have fallen more than about 2 and a half feet to the floor.

I've written to Garmin with a repair request, so we'll see how that goes. I'm not impressed.

Yeah that'll happen, and usually at the most inopportune time too ;)

It happens to every brand/model device on the market, and sometimes you don't even need to *drop* it.. sometimes you can just turn the thing off normally and it never wakes up ;)

Yeah it's a real nuisance when it happens, but I wouldn't write off the entire company based on one event.

Garmin is great to deal with most of the time. One of the spring loaded battery tabs broke a week after I bought my Oregon 200. I called them, they gave me an RMA and I got my 200 back within 2 weeks, and that includes the shipping time. I would suggest to call them and get the ball rolling faster.

Normally you could drop that unit 100 times the exact way and 99 times it would be fine. Things like this happen to every manufactured product. Nothing is break proof.

The device turns on and everything else works fine, it just doesn't get any satellite. I think the antenna, or a related connection component, broke. There's definitely something rattling around in there.

I'm frustrated because I was a Magellan user until I got this unit for Christmas, and I get a lot of flack from people going on and on about how superior Garmins are. Now I wish I had waited a few months and gotten the new Magellan eXplorist. ;)

Must have just been a fluky thing. My Oregon has hit the ground and bounced off rocks several times. As a matter of fact I took a tumble about an hour ago while caching. The Oregon landed screen down in the mud with me on top of it. I'm glad I put that Invisble Shield on the screen now. Picked myself up cleaned the screen and were good to go. Garmin should make good on that.

Here I thougt Maxwell House coffee was the only thing "Good To The Last Drop" ;)

Well, Garmin apparently uses an auto-reply bot when you write to their repair department.

"I would be happy to help you with this. I would recommend updating your device. Please follow these instructions to update the software on your device. "

Yes, I'm sure a software update and a hard reset will make the unit stop RATTLING.

I'm frustrated because I was a Magellan user until I got this unit for Christmas, and I get a lot of flack from people going on and on about how superior Garmins are. Now I wish I had waited a few months and gotten the new Magellan eXplorist. :lol:

Hah... So you were daft/careless enough to drop it, and it's the manufacturers fault? That's very funny! :D:P:):unsure:

Jon.

I have e-mailed them and after a day or 2 I would call them. They are very good on the phone. If you do get someone to e-mail you save the e-mail and if you have another problem, just reply to the e-mail and you will get a responce quick. I have been doing that for about a year, and it works great.

Thanks

Edited by The Yinnie's

Hah... So you were daft/careless enough to drop it, and it's the manufacturers fault? That's very funny! :D:P:):unsure:

Jon.

Actually from Garmin's own description of the Dakota says: "Both durable and waterproof, Dakota 20 is built to withstand the elements: bumps, dust, dirt and water are no match for this rugged navigator." When they use words like “bumps” and phrases like “rugged navigator,” I am sure that it should be able to withstand a 2 foot drop to the floor.

Actually from Garmin's own description of the Dakota says: "Both durable and waterproof, Dakota 20 is built to withstand the elements: bumps, dust, dirt and water are no match for this rugged navigator." When they use words like “bumps” and phrases like “rugged navigator,” I am sure that it should be able to withstand a 2 foot drop to the floor.

I've dropped and broken my Garmin Colorado in the past, Garmin were very understanding and did fix it for free, for which I was extremely grateful to them for. At no point would I have dreamed of blaming anyone else but myself or to have expected any other brand to fair any better in a 2ft tumble onto a concrete path. I don't interpret any of those desciptions to infer it surviving every drop, and I'm sure lots of us on here have dropped our units in the past, picked them and carried on without problem and without logging a message to say how wonderful the unit is to survive.

J

I've dropped and broken my Garmin Colorado in the past, Garmin were very understanding and did fix it for free, for which I was extremely grateful to them for. At no point would I have dreamed of blaming anyone else but myself or to have expected any other brand to fair any better in a 2ft tumble onto a concrete path. I don't interpret any of those desciptions to infer it surviving every drop, and I'm sure lots of us on here have dropped our units in the past, picked them and carried on without problem and without logging a message to say how wonderful the unit is to survive.

It was my fault that I dropped it, but I certainly didn't expect that it would break and become unusable from such a minor fall. These units are supposedly designed to withstand rugged handling - and what I did hardly qualifies. After hearing so much praise about Garmins, I'm shocked at how easily this unit broke. I've owned three different eXplorist units, and they all withstood much rougher handling than this.

The personal attacks are unnecessary and out-of-line. I don't know a serious geocacher who hasn't dropped, misplaced, or done something else "daft" and "careless" with their GPS at one point or another. There's no need to be mean-spirited about it.

Just have to point out my 60csx has rolled down a few trails/creeks with no issues. So far my dakota has only gone so far as to get dropped in a couple snow drifts. I think yours was a fluke.

I hope so.

Garmin wrote back and is sending me to their Canadian repair contractor for further assistance. I think it will be covered under warranty. Thankfully, we kept the receipt!

I've only had my Dakota 20 since Christmas, and I haven't used it very much (I usually cache with my partner, and we use his Oregon). Yesterday I dropped my Dakota - while I was seated - and now it rattles and won't pick up satellite.

I think this is ridiculous - these devices are supposed to withstand fairly rough handling. It couldn't have fallen more than about 2 and a half feet to the floor.

I've written to Garmin with a repair request, so we'll see how that goes. I'm not impressed.

My hubby was using our Dakota 20 at the weekend and the screen cracked when he was using it - and he said he wasn't pushing hard on it - we were surprised that this happened too after the 'rugged' reputation its meant to have.

Regarding dropping 100 times and 99 times the GPSr survives with but a scratch, I'm currently on a GPSMap 60c which has had all manner of misfortune and come through with flying colors. I'd like to be assured the Oregon I'm looking at is as tough.

The one moment of misfortune happened while, of all places, sitting in my car at the backcountry center at Grand Canyon National Park. I placed the unit on the top of the dashboard to get a fix on where my car was parked, so when I emerged from the canyon in 4 days time I would have little guesswork for tired legs. The confounded thing slipped off the top of the dash and hit the faceplate on the rails the seat moves forward/backward on and cracked. Unit still works, but that was astounding after all the beatings this thing has received over the two years I've had it. .. caught in bicycle wheel, had big rock dropped on it, dropped a few times, smacked into things while in my jacket pocket ..

I'll certainly get it fixed after I have a new unit, as it's always good to have a backup.

My Dakota 20 had a 6 inch "drop" on the weekend and the touch screen digitizer cracked. I put "drop" in quotes because the unit was attached to the shoulder strap of my pack. I carefully set my pack down on a boulder but the shoulder strap flopped to the side and the GPS unit hit the boulder. The screen itself didn't even get a scratch. The bezel got a ding in it right where the crack radiates out. So it was only the bezel that made impact. Not the screen directly. Not even a scratch on the screen. And the LCD is fine. Thankfully.

NOT impressed though. It was an accident and I know Garmin doesn't cover accidents... I wouldn't expect them to... but a 6 inch drop with a bezel impact and the digitizer shatters?!?! Not good!!! I called Garmin. They offered a replacement unit for 50% off the regular repair price and I'd have to pay for all shipping. But I'm in Canada and they ship by UPS (which charges ridiculous brokerage fees)... so I'd be looking at over $120. They said it would be cheaper for me to contact their Canadian repair partner. But they are just a repair shop so of course they are not going to give me any kind of deal.

So my options now are to call Garmin again and try to convince them to do a 100% free replacement... or pay big bucks. I'm half toying with the idea of just buying a replacement digitizer from Hong Kong and replacing it myself. It does not appear to be glued to the LCD... so it's probably a simple part swap. I'd prefer not to void my warrantee however. I'd prefer that Garmin do the right thing and replace it free of charge. No way should a 6 inch drop with a bezel impact shatter the digitizer. I'd call that poor engineering. Or maybe just freaky bad luck. But I don't think it should have broke.

Needless to say... I've already ordered the silicone slipcase for the Dakota.

Edited by TakeoK

After reading this thread over again... I think I'm going to call Garmin again. Considering that one poster here had the digitizer crack just from normal usage?! (finger pressure) and another had the unit malfunction from a 2 foot drop onto a floor (was it carpet)... I think they should replace my unit. These are only two anecdotes or course (3 counting mine)... but it shows to me that the units are not as rugged as they should be.

It's sad, but touch screen devices tend to be somewhat fragile when it comes to outdoor use. I've given up on touch screen phones for this reason as I keep destroying them. That said, I had a lot of issues with my old sportrak maps cracking both the transparancy over the display, and the case itself. Part of it is probably just luck.

On the plus side, my Dakota has taken quite a beating so far, but I always worry I'll impact the phone at some point and destroy it.

On the plus side, my Dakota has taken quite a beating so far...

Good to hear. As I say, mine just had one small 6" drop with a bezel impact. I guess the bezel got impacted "just right" so as to crack the digitizer. My luck. At least the LCD was undamaged.

On the plus side, since my last posting, Garmin had agreed (after leaping through a few hoops) to make good on the warranty repair. No charge. I am *very* grateful for that. They were very good to deal with actually. I guess they agreed that although this was technically "user error"... the unit should be a little more rugged than to crack from a 6" drop!

I have since purchased the silicone slip case for my Dakota. I might get a screen protector while I'm at it too! And I'll be extremely careful about setting my pack down with my GPS attached!!! I had set the pack down carefully and gently on it's back... but the shoulder strap flopped to the side and... *crack*!!!! Ugh :P

Edited by TakeoK

My hubby was using our Dakota 20 at the weekend and the screen cracked when he was using it - and he said he wasn't pushing hard on it - we were surprised that this happened too after the 'rugged' reputation its meant to have.

Ours cracked yesterday while GC. My wife was zooming out to get a better view of our next intended GC. On the phone, hold, with Garmin now. We will see. Been on hold for about 35 minutes so far.

Ours cracked yesterday while GC. My wife was zooming out to get a better view of our next intended GC. On the phone, hold, with Garmin now. We will see. Been on hold for about 35 minutes so far.

Well, I am not pleased with Garmin at all. They will not cover an external crack, even from finger pressure. If we want a new one that'll be $120 thank you very much.