Overcharged Battery break Explorist?

G'day

I acidently left my Magellan Explorist 600 charging in mains power overnight.

Next morning it wont start (and was quite warm)

'secret' reset combos don't do anyhting either.

Few questions for the techs out there.

1. Is th battery no longer any good and won't work again?

2. can you power the explorist without a battery in - because it dosen't start with power plugged in (usb and/or mains) and no battery?

3. If i have 'broken' my explorist, i live in eastern suburbs of Melbourne, (Australia ) - where do i take it to get looked at?

4. will it cost me more to fix than get a new one?

Thanks!!

Scott

G'day

I acidently left my Magellan Explorist 600 charging in mains power overnight.

Next morning it wont start (and was quite warm)

'secret' reset combos don't do anyhting either.

Few questions for the techs out there.

1. Is th battery no longer any good and won't work again?

2. can you power the explorist without a battery in - because it dosen't start with power plugged in (usb and/or mains) and no battery?

3. If i have 'broken' my explorist, i live in eastern suburbs of Melbourne, (Australia ) - where do i take it to get looked at?

4. will it cost me more to fix than get a new one?

Thanks!!

Scott

The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I don't believe it is the battery that is no longer any good. I believe that the charger fried the components in the gps. I hope someone learns otherwise. I really loved my eXplorist 600.

Scott,

If you hadn't mentioned that the unti was "quite warm" I would have said you might just have a bad USB cord. Those cables, in my experience, are wimpy. A bad cord scenario: ... You leave the unit on all night....Auto-shut down is not selected in the menu....the battery does not charge all night until it's totally dead.

But, the warm battery prolly means your battery may have failed during charging and fried your unit. Maybe overvoltage or something. BTW, leaving the unit charging all night has never hurt any of my units. My only battery failures to date are that the batteries just get where they won't fully charge.

Also, the units (if they have a good USB cord) should be able to power up if the USB cord is supplying power (USB, car or wall charger power) if there is a battery present or not.

There is a guy in the Yahoo Explorist forums who goes by David. He's in your part of the world and knows a ton more about these things than I do. Maybe join and post there to get more answers?