starting a collection

North Fork Seeker

There are quite some shops on the internet where you can buy new, recently issued geocoins.

But there are also geocoin collectors who have stopped collecting and who are offering their new and unactivated coins for sale. Like I do here.

All coins listed as available (green list) are for sale. Most of them cannot be obtained from the shops anymore as they are sold out.

You can buy them here in the forums (if they are trackable), check any of the Groundspeak approved vendors in the pinned threads up top, win a cointest in the forums, find non-trackables that are left as swag, unactivated ones that are left as swag (not to be mistaken for the ones the owner forgot to activate before dropping, check the logs), go on ebay (buyer beware, do your research, see the threads about counterfeited coins), get them at events, trade for them (see the pinned trading thread) but the one thing you cannot do is keep someone's traveling geocoin that they released for that purpose. Those you can take from the cache, but you are expected to release it into another cache, and log them in a timely manner.

What is the best way to start a collection of geocoins. I know everyone will ssay buy them. but where from are there places with better prices than others? Do you collect certain types or styles of coins. Being new to coin collecting I have alot of ?.

Another way to start a collection is to mint your own and trade at will for those already out there. But when purchasing remember that vendours have a large stock they want to unload to get their money back while re-sellers are trying to get what they can out of each individual coin.

As for what type of coins to collect.... that's a matter of personal preference. What do you like? What would you like to throw a ton of money at and make it worthwhile? Because you are going to lose your mind in this and may not get it back for about 2-3 years or more (control over your own mind that is).

Edited by Droo

I would suggest purchasing with restraint...no more than 8 or 10 coins a day :) .

Activated coins (depending on the rarity and desirability of the coin (sp?) can often be purchased at a more reasonable price and be adopted over to you by the seller. Kind of like buying a dealer's demo car...you can get a coin with that new car smell (a coin in mint condition,) for a lot less money than buying a brand new car. If you keep tabs on the geocoin forum, you'll find some collectors selling some very collectible activated and unactivated coins.

What kind of coins you collect is a personal choice. My favorites are dog themed coins, and personal coins. Consider checking out people's trading lists to start getting an idea of what's out there. Make a trip to the different geocaching events... a lot of collectors like to bring (okay, i like to bring,) their collection for others to see...the ASP geobash might make a nice day trip (or weekend trip,) and I've seen there will be a heated building available for coin trading and displaying.

Hope this helps!

ILYK

I would look at the coin manufacturers websites listed on the Groundspeak and Geocaching.com first. They are by far and away the cheapest. Ebay would be the next option, they have a ton of geocoins, but they are going to be a lot more expensive. I have found geocoins that I really wanted on ebay and paid $25-$30 for and then found the exact same coin on a manufactures site for $10.

So find what you want first, do a little researching on the net and try to find the best deal. If you can't you can always go back to ebay and pay a ridiculous price if you really want it.

Like you, I am newer at collecting and have spent a small fortune so far. It is very addictive, expensive, and tons of fun. You will end up spending more than you think.

Good Luck