April 2010 Photo Competition, Click Click

Thanks to Simply Paul for his kind comments and picking me as the winner! :P Apologies for not noticing the result until now; I've been busy with setting a series of caches and a bonus with complicated links to set up.

I'm judging this time, so please get your photos posted on this thread before the 1st of May. I'll just cut 'n' paste the rules (the latest version from the original January 2010 thread):

1) The only hard and fast rule is that the photo must be cache related and to do with a specific cache, caching series or caching trip. There should be a hyperlink(s) to the cache(s) in the post. The cache(s) must be from the UK or Ireland.

2) Two photos per cacher per month (give or take).

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

5) Photos should be recent if possible. (No debates as to what recent means! This rule is flexible.)

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. This should give sufficient time for the winner (or other person if necessary) to start the new thread.

As this is 'just for fun', I'm not going to be strict about rules 2 or 5, although rule 1 will have to be adhered to. However, if there are several good photos to choose between, I might be tempted to pick one that was actually taken in March 2010 and even more tempted if it's associated with your own caching log! And is the photo is REALLY old, it might only get recognition for Historical Interest.

Obviously, this is going to be highly subjective, so don't get disheartened if you thought your photo was better than the eventual winner. Please keep on trying - especially as the judge will change monthly.

If you haven't already uploaded a photo, a good tip might be to upload to one of your log entries (it can just be 'post a note'). Then, display the photo and copy the URL to provide a link to the post. If it's not actually relevant to the cache you've used, delete the note and the photo - the URL will still work.

02fc22d4-3a86-4bde-b77d-3023109d8f35.jpg

From GC24C31 London's Vertical Limit Extreme Event: Tower 42 on April the 1st. It looks better at 6mp but you get the idea. Note, left to right: Big Ben, the London Eye, the Oxo Tower, the National Theatre, the Thames (inc. Millennium Bridge) and St Paul's. I have to say, as locations for an event go, it was pretty special :P

Past threads in this series: January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010

Edit- I think you mean April. The danger of copy n paste, which I know all too well...

Edited by Simply Paul

02fc22d4-3a86-4bde-b77d-3023109d8f35.jpg

From GC24C31 London's Vertical Limit Extreme Event: Tower 42 on April the 1st. It looks better at 6mp but you get the idea. Note, left to right: Big Ben, the London Eye, the Oxo Tower, the National Theatre, the Thames (inc. Millennium Bridge) and St Paul's. I have to say, as locations for an event go, it was pretty special :)

Past threads in this series: January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010

Edit- I think you mean April. The danger of copy n paste, which I know all too well...

:D Oh, I won't use my one from here then. :) Think I got exactly the same photo. :P As did the other 26 cachers that were at the event I suspect. :o

;) Oh, I won't use my one from here then. :) Think I got exactly the same photo. ;) As did the other 26 cachers that were at the event I suspect. B)
This is why I got in quick :) But I think other views (or the same one- I don't have the copyright!) from the same venue would be cool. I did see a hint of Wembley in someone's shot from the top... :)

This was a really nice cache (GCJF20) at the Forestry Commission (Wales) site at Nant yr Arian where they feed the red kites every day. Took a lot of photos! These are two that show the kites rather nicely.

Chris (MrB)

kite3.jpg

kite4.jpg

Not real kites, who you trying to fool? I sussed it straight away, no string, 1st April's gone.

The judges (me and Mrs H) have finished their deliberations and have reached their conclusions. But first a quick run through of the entries:

Simply Paul - Good composition, very dark. Would be better just after sunset when there would still be some colour in the sky.

WorcesterDan - Unusually low rainbow! Nice exposure has captured colours well, it would make a good letter-box crop for a web page header.

Guanajuato - Fraggle, LOL indeed! Children on the moor - Good colours and lighting. What is she pointing at? Burbage Edge - Landscape with interesting foreground, good exposure shows detail in shadows.

markandlynn - Good sky, nice light on the water. Column – too dark, maybe a step to the side would remove the branch bottom left.

Cheeky extra pair - flooded gate - made me smile. Church tower - impressive structure but the lighting is not the best making it a bit dark and it looks like its leaning to the left?

HouseOfDragons - Good clear point of interest (although there is no clear idea of which way you would go!), I like the yellow and green. Camouflaged dog - looks like I felt after a hike up Birnam Hill on Saturday. Good colours and sharpness. The dog's eyes are very dark.

DrDick&Vick - Spring landscape - very green and colourful, but I think you needed to get closer to the daffodils. There is also lens flare due to looking towards the light.

Chaotica_UK - Good lead-in lines with the snow and path. Figures give sense of scale. Sky is a bit bland, but could be cropped to a square format.

Silver Fox - Canal boat - sunshine and daffodils are good. Captures the texture of the bridge well. Pity the boat has gone too far, or not coming the other way

Lefthanded99 - I like the green rails leading you into the picture. Good reflections. Perhaps a crop to the left edge would neaten it there?

Guanajuato (again) - Interesting textures and difficult to work out what it is.

ivanidea - Tintern Abbey, brightly lit and no muggles in the way. Hostel - Maybe a little bright. I want to see more of the statue in the foreground.

reddeeps - poor old boat. Could you have gone a little closer? The trees obscure the subject too much. I like the clear sparkling water at the lock. Well exposed.

The Blorenges Mr. B. - difficult lighting conditions, good sharp pictures.

Chaotica_UK (again) - Great colours in this (volcano-enhanced?) sunset.

Simply Paul (again) - Interesting cityscape. I like the colours in the streets and office windows.

keehotee - The Trojan Horse fills the frame. Good vibrant colours but the horses eye looks rather dark and lifeless.

DrDick&Vick (again) - Made me smile. Well spotted. Nice contrasting colours, all it needs is someone wearing a red jacket about halfway across the field.

And the results, in reverse order, of course...

3rd place - keehotee's Trojan Horse

2nd place - WorcesterDan's Rainbow

1st place - Chaotica_UK's Snowy Hilltop :P Well done and over to you for the MAY contest.

Congratulations to keehotee, WorcesterDan's (I liked your rainbow) and Chaotica_UK. I agree, your Snowy Hilltop is very striking. Well done everyone who took part; some wonderful shots for April.

BTW, I've made a book of my photos of London for a college Photography course, including the shots above. You can see it here. It includes lots of cache locations (but no spoilers), and shots taken whist caching with Solly in town. Also, mistakes. So if you'd like a copy let me know and I'll upload a revised version. I may also make a smaller version if there's interest as it's not cheap as a heavy-weight 11x13" hardback coffee-table book :D

Edited by Simply Paul

This was a really nice cache (GCJF20) at the Forestry Commission (Wales) site at Nant yr Arian where they feed the red kites every day. Took a lot of photos! These are two that show the kites rather nicely.

Chris (MrB)

kite3.jpg

kite4.jpg

Not real kites, who you trying to fool? I sussed it straight away, no string, 1st April's gone.

:) Stunning shots. :D