Another Record - 626 in 24 hours

I'm a newbie to the sport, but I have been reading this thread and the previous one, and I just don't get it.

Putting out 500 magnetic containers on power towers (and, presumably, getting a location reading on each one) sounds *really* boring.

Collecting each of those caches sounds like working on an assembly line, hanging doors on Chevrolets. (Apologies to any UAW members reading.)

I picked up two caches today. Each involved about a quarter mile of cross-country walking. For one I took a photo of Pikes Peak from near the cache so that I could upload it to the gallery page. At the other I listened to red-winged blackbirds singing in a marsh.

Leisurely caching seems like a lot more fun.

I'm a newbie to the sport, but I have been reading this thread and the previous one, and I just don't get it.

Putting out 500 magnetic containers on power towers (and, presumably, getting a location reading on each one) sounds *really* boring.

Collecting each of those caches sounds like working on an assembly line, hanging doors on Chevrolets. (Apologies to any UAW members reading.)

I picked up two caches today. Each involved about a quarter mile of cross-country walking. For one I took a photo of Pikes Peak from near the cache so that I could upload it to the gallery page. At the other I listened to red-winged blackbirds singing in a marsh.

Posting identical comments in threads isn't boring to you? <_<

Posting identical comments in threads isn't boring to you? :P

Maybe when he got up to around 500 it would :D

If anything, since the trail was intended as a single game of see-how-many-you-can-find-in-24-hours,

Maybe you haven't read all the discussion of how other people considered attempting these Caches, like multi day camping runs? I don't see that it was set up for the sole purpose of record attempts, just that some people used them that way.

Well stated WSR

If anything, since the trail was intended as a single game of see-how-many-you-can-find-in-24-hours,

Maybe you haven't read all the discussion of how other people considered attempting these Caches, like multi day camping runs? I don't see that it was set up for the sole purpose of record attempts, just that some people used them that way.

A multi-day camping run is still a kind of how-long-does-it-take-to-find-them-all game. It still seems to me that they were placed to be parts of a whole, which due to the volume of caches should have been a single cache or maybe 10 caches. It appears they were listed as individual caches in order to pad the owner's (s'?) cache hide stats or the finders' cache find stats.

A multi-day camping run is still a kind of how-long-does-it-take-to-find-them-all game. It still seems to me that they were placed to be parts of a whole, which due to the volume of caches should have been a single cache or maybe 10 caches. It appears they were listed as individual caches in order to pad the owner's (s'?) cache hide stats or the finders' cache find stats.

"how-long-does-it-take-to-find-them-all" is a lot different than "see-how-many-you-can-find-in-24-hours"

And since there's a prize at the end of this game...of course the whole thing was made just to pad some peoples numbers.

"how-long-does-it-take-to-find-them-all" is a lot different than "see-how-many-you-can-find-in-24-hours"

And since there's a prize at the end of this game...of course the whole thing was made just to pad some peoples numbers.

There is a PRIZE? I guess I need to know when the "end of this game" occurs so I can be ready for the competition. Whatever it may be.

There is a PRIZE? I guess I need to know when the "end of this game" occurs so I can be ready for the competition. Whatever it may be.

Oh Yes, the PRIZE...Didn't anyone tell you? Every find or hide you have gets you a number in the big giant drawing...I think they're giving away Groundspeak at the anniversary. Jeremy is going to retire, and let someone new take the helm, but you have to get so many finds and hides so they will know who is qualified

Oh Yes, the PRIZE...Didn't anyone tell you? Every find or hide you have gets you a number in the big giant drawing...I think they're giving away Groundspeak at the anniversary. Jeremy is going to retire, and let someone new take the helm, but you have to get so many finds and hides so they will know who is qualified

I don't want it.

Is there a cash equivalent prize?

With the Trail of the Gods being archived you guys may hold the record for many years to come!

Oh no !!!

In that case they certainly must have cheated. :grin::D

I calculated it out, and it's impossible to find that many caches in that short of time.

If it's true....then someone needs to go to each of the caches and check the logsheets.....I'm quite certain you will find dozens if not hundreds of them are missing the record setting stickers....lol.

:D:D

Our average time was just a few seconds faster than your times (VKs) with no significant injuries. Tell you what, there is still time to delete all your found logs and go do it again! :D

With the Trail of the Gods being archived you guys may hold the record for many years to come!

Oh no !!!

In that case they certainly must have cheated. :grin::D

I calculated it out, and it's impossible to find that many caches in that short of time.

If it's true....then someone needs to go to each of the caches and check the logsheets.....I'm quite certain you will find dozens if not hundreds of them are missing the record setting stickers....lol.

:D:D

Our average time was just a few seconds faster than your times (VKs) with no significant injuries. Tell you what, there is still time to delete all your found logs and go do it again! :D

Hmmmmmmm, was that the sound of a challenge being thrown Tee, Hee, Hee, LOL. Hey Geo- Rangers many thanks for your compliment in one of the other threads.

I ran into NVtriker at one of his caches NE of Las Vegas last Friday as he was on his way down to claim what he could of the "Trail of the Gods." We talked for a little while about it, and I was pleased to hear Groundspeak was stepping up and doing something about it. What I really don't get is why it was even published in the first place.

We can all sit around and gnash teeth and split hairs over whether a "record" is legtimate or not, but I doubt there will ever be a consensus as to what is the "right" way to geocache. I do think, however, that we all know instinctively what caching is and what it is NOT. Everyone else is welcome to do as they wish...having done a couple hundred caches in a day once myself, I know that it can be a lot of fun to plan a HUNT and work it to the best of your ability. That said, if you know where the caches are before you even get to the site, it's NOT a hunt. I am not going to say that it's not "fun". And to each their own. On the other hand, I think that these "power trails" are bad PR for the sport, ESPECIALLY when they are placed on hundreds of powerline towers which really are to be avoided. We should be doing things to encourage a favorable image of our sport, not doing things like this that only make us look like a bunch of weirdos who think the world belongs only to us and we can do whatever the heck we want in it. All that is going to get us is more closed areas and restrictions, and fewer places to enjoy our sport.

Cache Saturation

Cache containers and physical stages should generally be separated by a minimum of 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m). A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a tag with the next set of coordinates or a container. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline.

Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements.

Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. The ultimate goals of the saturation guideline are to encourage you to seek out new places to hide caches rather than putting them in areas where caches already exist and to limit the number of caches hidden in a particular area, especially by the same hider. Groundspeak may further restrict cache listings in areas where cache saturation becomes a concern.

Even though the caches may not have been within 0.1 miles, they definitely broke the "spirit of the rule" clause. Setting up 1000 pins just so someone else can knock down a record-setting amount feels dishonest. If anything, since the trail was intended as a single game of see-how-many-you-can-find-in-24-hours, it should have been listed as a single multicache with rules on how to play the game in the description.

Who exactly is 'they'?