Are parially buried caches OK?

Geodalf

I have a couple of ideas for setting up caches in my small town of Estancia NM near locations connected with some interesting state history. These locations are out in the open and would be prone to muggling. Can a cache be partially buried and disguised. No digging to find the cache would be required. What I am thinking of is setting one up using a in ground lawn sprinkler head and setting another one up so it looks like a drain line clean out plug. The geocache guideline say digging is not allowed but is not clear to me if this applies to placing a cache that still will be accessible to the finder without the finder having to dig it up.

Edited by Marshall Hall

The idea behind the "no digging" guideline is partly to keep a location as is, partly to not have cachers digging about looking for something that may be buried. Another aspect is that if it isn't your property, how do you think the property owner is going to appreciate your digging (or others, for that matter)?

How would you like to arrive at what should be a pristine, beautiful spot only to find that somebody before you created hundreds of divots in the ground?

Have seen 'sprinkler-head' caches and do not dislike such, but we do adamantly support the "no digging" guideline.

The geocache guideline say digging is not allowed but is not clear to me if this applies to placing a cache that still will be accessible to the finder without the finder having to dig it up.

From the Guidelines:

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Seems pretty clear to me :D

Good luck with the placement all the same.

I have a couple of ideas for setting up caches in my small town of Estancia NM near locations connected with some interesting state history. These locations are out in the open and would be prone to muggling. Can a cache be partially buried and disguised. No digging to find the cache would be required. What I am thinking of is setting one up using a in ground lawn sprinkler head and setting another one up so it looks like a drain line clean out plug. The geocache guideline say digging is not allowed but is not clear to me if this applies to placing a cache that still will be accessible to the finder without the finder having to dig it up.

If you have to dig to hide the cache then it is not allowed.

The idea behind the "no digging" guideline is partly to keep a location as is, partly to not have cachers digging about looking for something that may be buried. Another aspect is that if it isn't your property, how do you think the property owner is going to appreciate your digging (or others, for that matter)?

How would you like to arrive at what should be a pristine, beautiful spot only to find that somebody before you created hundreds of divots in the ground?

Have seen 'sprinkler-head' caches and do not dislike such, but we do adamantly support the "no digging" guideline.

Yeah, those sprinkler head type caches are really great. Especially when they are 'hidden' amongst real functioning type sprinkler heads so that searchers are enticed into pulling, pushing and turning real ones that are, of course the private property of the land owner.

This is just a theory and unwarranted concern of mine and mine alone. There is and has never been evidence that geocachers would ever do such a thing. :DB);)

A little clarification:

One would be located behind the Masonic Lodge in an alley. I am a member of the lodge and have permission from the lodge to dig to install a sprinkler head or clean out plug cache. I could set up another cache but it would be more out in the open and I don't think as much fun.

The other 2 would be on town property between a town street and buildings. I guess I could set them up as virtual or microcache sites, but no room to include a little history information on the location in the cache. Again, I have permission of the town.

There is a local cacher who has some fake sprinkler head caches and I do not think he has had any problems with them. Based on how he has done them, let me make the following suggestions for that type of ache:

1) For all the locations, he has permission from the property owner.

2) In all the cache descriptions, he explicitly states that the cache container has a screw lid and you should only remove the lid and NOT to try to remove the container itself.

3) He uses the same brand of sprinkler head for all caches in the series. Each cache is placed in an area with sprinklers, but the real sprinklers are always of a different brand that the cache container.

Just make sure you "remove the dirt" with your hand or some other non-pointy object

Nevermind :laughing:

Don't fret too much. Even those of us who might be 'creative' challenged ought to be able to get a cache into the ground so that it does not appear as though it required pointy stuff. I've even encountered a few.

We often see postings wherein users report having pushed certain container types into the ground. I personally haven't observed anyone do that but they apparently have.

Edited by Team Cotati