Multi-logging

Hi all,

This may have been asked, it may not so apologies it its one of those repeating subjects.

Its there a faster way of logging on the website than having to got to each cache's individual log page?

For instance:

It would be great if you could tick a box in a list of caches, selecting the ones you want, then bring up a page showinging log boxes for each of your selections on one page. Then after you have filled them in hit log and it would submit logs for al of them.

I use GSAK, but I am rubbish at creating macros. The standard log macro saves a small amount of time, in that it takes you to the correct log page, but you still have to log on a cach by cache basis. Maybe all I need is a better macro.

It just seems that logging at the moment is very long winded, (it could be the method I am using though!!).

Cheers

Rob

Hi all,

This may have been asked, it may not so apologies it its one of those repeating subjects.

Its there a faster way of logging on the website than having to got to each cache's individual log page?

For instance:

It would be great if you could tick a box in a list of caches, selecting the ones you want, then bring up a page showinging log boxes for each of your selections on one page. Then after you have filled them in hit log and it would submit logs for al of them.

I use GSAK, but I am rubbish at creating macros. The standard log macro saves a small amount of time, in that it takes you to the correct log page, but you still have to log on a cach by cache basis. Maybe all I need is a better macro.

It just seems that logging at the moment is very long winded, (it could be the method I am using though!!).

Cheers

Rob

Long winded compared to going out and finding the cache in the first place?

It's all part of the game.....but there's nothing at all stopping you from not logging them online at all, if you so wish :D

Hi all,

For instance:

Cheers

Rob

It's all part of the game.....but there's nothing at all stopping you from not logging them online at all, if you so wish :D

I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong. I'm all for logging online, and I alsways try to write more than TNLN TFTC. It's nice to read the stories of other peoples finds. Logging is indeed part of the game, but I'm afraid I don't see jumping from cache page to cache page to do so as part of the game. A slicker way of logging IMO would be great!

The more time I spend logging and jumping around pages, is less time finding caches! ;-)

Hi all,

For instance:

Cheers

Rob

I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong. I'm all for logging online, and I alsways try to write more than TNLN TFTC. It's nice to read the stories of other peoples finds. Logging is indeed part of the game, but I'm afraid I don't see jumping from cache page to cache page to do so as part of the game. A slicker way of logging IMO would be great!

The more time I spend logging and jumping around pages, is less time finding caches! ;-)

Must admit I like the idea, so when you upload your finds to your computer you get little box for each cache, so you can fill it in on one page... WOuld make the administration much quicker...

Alowing for more time to plan the next cache outing ;)

GerritS gets the essence of my idea.

Field notes is kinda like what I mean, but I don't mean real time logging. I do sometimes do that on my iPhone (battery permitting.) They are not available to everyone either.

I'm really talking about the convienience of logging on one page.

I am going away campin for 4 days in May, and likely to do many many caches. I have to admit, I'm not looking forward to having to log them all one at a time when I get back!

Maybe I'll put the suggestion in the box, then Groundspeak can decide if its practical to do/worth it or not.

I should add, this idea should not be credited to me. I was chatting with a mate of mine last night who is relativly new to caching. He asked if us premium members got a faster way of logging, and wondered if the "all on one page" option was available.

Edited by rob.marsh

Laptop.

After a days caching, write the logs in a text document.

Include cache number, date, etc.

Write log details including TB/GC details.

When you're back at home/you have internet access, copy and paste to correct cache page.

Thats basically what i planned to do but in GSAK rather than a text doc.

that still involves a diff web page for each cache you do though, which lets face it, if on a caching holiday could be in the hundreds.

We (my mate & I) figured GS were missing a trick with the logging proceess. Selecting a list of caches that then took you to a box for each cache where you could write comments and found status, then after having done them all hit log and it logs them all at once for you would save a lot of time and effort.

I guess its not as called for as we thought it might be.

hey ho, twas just an idea.

Laptop.

After a days caching, write the logs in a text document.

Include cache number, date, etc.

Write log details including TB/GC details.

When you're back at home/you have internet access, copy and paste to correct cache page.

even better, if you have a laptop/netbook while away, and you use GSAK, you can spend the evening writing full logs in GSAK, while offline, on a day by day basis, and then upload the job lot when you get home.

However, it still requires opening each cache page individually. AFAIK, there is no feature on GC.com, or GSAK macro of any kind, which gets round this. I understand fully where you are coming from (and with 200 odd caches to log after a holiday, it is VERY time consuming), however there isn't an alternative that I know of! Field notes can make it slicker, but not 'all on one page'...

I wonder if Groundspeak don't want to implement it, in order to stop armchair cachers from setting up automatic logging of bogus finds... :D

I doubt it, you would still have to select the logs some how to start with... To get them into field notes, if logging arm chair finds I guess you have to select the caches then log it and it would be no easier....

OK you could sit there on other software to select them to turn them into field notes but I am sure there are easier ways of doing it....

Would it now be so much easier to have a page come up for field notes 10 caches, with box's.

Cache Name and Number (Linkable so you can open in new tab if needing reminder)..

A Short description.

1) Found, not found etc.

2) Cache Rating*

3) Space for Logging (with any field notes).

4) Box for TB's

5) Upload Picture*.

I cannot be bothered logging caches on the hoof so often only the remembered caches get really good logs (how is the hint often the best way to remember a cache?) . Most just get get logged as found in the field and on to the next one..

*Notes

2) Well I can dream!

5) Would encourage uploading of pictures to!

Some random thoughts:

- Identifying "the list of caches" might not be all that easy. If you build a bookmark list of 20 caches that you want to do, and go out and do only those caches, then fine, but in practice I think many people set out for an area with maybe 2 or 3 specific caches in mind, then pick up whatever else is going. In that case, reconstructing the list of caches which you found is going to be quite a bit of work. (Field notes would really help, but then Field notes more or less fix most of what you want to do anyway.)

- Unless you ignore trackables, you're going to need to have a dropdown list under every text input box to select which items you dropped off in each case. People are going to make mistakes with that and select the same TB more than once, unless the code gets very Javascripty, which isn't exactly the house style.

- This isn't going to help the quality of logs; the temptation to paste "TFTC" into every box might be even stronger than when you log individually. I try to write a couple of words in my field note and use that to remind me of what was cool at each cache. (It even works more than half the time!)

Of course, log quality is up to you, but as a cache owner, I really appreciate it when people take the time to say something a little different. It's one of the main reasons to be a cache owner.

Surely reconstructing the list would be no more difficult than running a localised search? if you could run a search, ticking those you wish to log, then via a button get to a log cache page which had a section for each of the previously selected caches it IMO would be great and much easier.

I think it could improve the quality of logs if the process is sped up. If I had loads to log, but could do so quickly on one page I'd be more inclined to write a better log more unique to the cache. The current method is slow and repetitive, and not particularly inspiring.

I guess it's down to personal preference.

Field notes seem to do some of the work your right, but they are not available to all cachers/GPSrs.

Edited by rob.marsh