Unusual finds, caches, tools and experiences?

EVERYONE HAS A STORY!!!!!

4 things I think would be of interest. :D

What is the most unusual item you ever found in a cache?

What is the most unusual item used to make a cache out of that you ever seen?

(Example: The other day I found one made out of an old flashlight the had taken the batteries out of.)

What is the most unusual item you ever had to use for a tool to retrieve a cache?

Last what is your most unusual caching experience?

Edited by yellajeep

What is the most unusual item you ever had to use for a tool to retrieve a cache?

one that was 20 feet up, a metal coat hanger taped around a 35mm film cannister with hook on end.

standing on garbage can with fishing pole with neo magnet on end, fished it. replacing it took 3x as long however.

one that was 20 feet up, a metal coat hanger taped around a 35mm film cannister with hook on end.

standing on garbage can with fishing pole with neo magnet on end, fished it. replacing it took 3x as long however.

Who would hide something that ridiculously

:D Well, I have one that is a bison tube hung about 25 feet up a light pole, hung there by a magnet. Is that ridiculous, too? ;)

:D Well, I have one that is a bison tube hung about 25 feet up a light pole, hung there by a magnet. Is that ridiculous, too? ;)

I haven't seen anything that hard to reach around here and the other places I have been

:P Well, I have one that is a bison tube hung about 25 feet up a light pole, hung there by a magnet. Is that ridiculous, too? :D

with a neo magnet or a cheepie magnet? that could be tough to get down if its a neo magnet.

course not so tough if you can park the cachemobile next to it and stand on the roof.

actually it was one of the more enjoyable micros i've found.

:P Well, I have one that is a bison tube hung about 25 feet up a light pole, hung there by a magnet. Is that ridiculous, too? :D

with a neo magnet or a cheepie magnet? that could be tough to get down if its a neo magnet.

course not so tough if you can park the cachemobile next to it and stand on the roof.

Remember that thread a while back about the car that got stuck in the mud on a soccer field? I wouldn't be taking your car to this cache. Don't worry about the magnet... this cache has been found enough times to know that it is retrievable. Its been fun hearing the stories about how people have improvised, though... ladders, a climbing belt, duct-taped hiking poles and other sticks...

I haven't seen anything that hard to reach around here and the other places I have been

Don't worry if you haven't found anything like that yet. They day is still young. You will. And when you do, you will either call it a fun challenge, and find a way to grab it, or you will call it ridiculous and walk away.

Edited by knowschad

What is the most unusual item used to make a cache out of that you ever seen? I'd rather not say because the hide was in plain view, but so so evil. Saying what it was would give it away to anyone who ever came upon it or any like it

What is the most unusual item you ever had to use for a tool to retrieve a cache? A cache came out where you were supposed to crawl through storm drains. Not my type of fun. I decided to go fishing. A bungee cord and a length of rope were tied together and it worked quite well. I'll keep them in my trunk just in case.

Last what is your most unusual caching experience? I got stuck in the mud last month, I've hiked places that I would never have known about, seen historic locations that remain hidden to most people, and met some crazy people. Every day is an adventure. That's what I enjoy most about Geocaching

The most unusual cache I found was a bird themed multi-cache, which had some interesting physical stages. One of the stages, when you find the micro, you then needed to find the bird in the tree and identify it (there was a model bird hidden up in the tree). But most unusual, one of the stages contained a bird call whistle (I think that is what you call it), and you needed to blow the whistle and identify the bird which makes that sound (to progress and find the next stage). My favourite cache so far!

Mark

What is the most unusual item you ever found in a cache?

Hmm maybe the top half of a sabertooth cat skull replica I found ;) It's mini sized - maybe 4" long.

Oh actually maybe it's this one: http://store.dinosaurcorporation.com/sabertoothcat4.html

Pointy end of a metal corkscrew from my multi tool to get a log out of a micro

Last what is your most unusual caching experience?

Caching along a beautiful trail where rock walls overhang a beautiful creek in downtown Austin. There were homeless shelters set up EVERYWHERE. It's always unsettling to come across just one and this place had several. Sad for them, sad for those wanting to enjoy the natural beauty.

Edited by Opalblade

What is the most unusual item used to make a cache out of that you ever seen? Someone used a plastic jack-o-lantern and placed a tupperware container inside of the pumpkin head - very cool!

What is the most unusual item you ever had to use for a tool to retrieve a cache? On Ebay, there are log rolling tools... best $1.75 I have ever spent. Not really all that unusual, but sure does come in handy on those dadgum nanos!

Last what is your most unusual caching experience? I have two... caching by myself (mistake) just after a rainfall (another mistake) trying to cross a stream on a fallen log (mistake 3) while carrying my GPS in one hand and my swag bag in the other. Log broke. So did my ankle. Found the cache anyways. ;)

The other... caching on horseback, there was a micro hung in a tree my horse found before I did. Horses (well, my horse) thinks certain types of tree leaves taste good... and accidentally grabbed the cache! Fortunately she was smart enough to spit it out before swallowing... but, needless to say, I was terrified of having to report to the cache owner "needs maintenance... my horse ate your cache... I can retrieve it from the maure pile if you'd like it back!"

Unusual tool to fetch a cache: Boat hook and pool skimmer. There was a cache that was suspended above the trail on a rope. The knot on the rope got hung up on the carabiner suspended from the branch. No matter what we did, we couldn't get it loose. Tried swatting it with long branches found on the ground, as well as using a folding ladder we found in the woods to get us closer to the cache so we could used the aforementioned branch. The ladder collapsed when my husband climbed it. Ooooh, those were some bad words heard in the woods! Had to return the next week with the pool skimmer and boat hook to snag the cache and pull it down.

I was out caching with my cousin the other day and found two hobos passed out in the trail in the nature center. It was only one in the afternoon so we tried to shoo em out of there but they would not wake up? To some this might not seem so out of the ordinary but I live in small town wisconsin and it was quite a funny surprise

I invite you all to look at GC1W47Z. The CO, HolyCowboys, pride themselves on making the most difficult and perplexing caches in the State College area, and this one has gotten so obnoxious it is the only Traditional left on my map in a broad swath. The lightpole is a 140 foot tall steel pole on the Penn State campus, and cache is a bison tube wrapped in neo magnets. Supposedly, it was originally placed about 15 feet off the ground, so that you would need to get a nearby golf hole flag to knock it down. Well, it apparently became funny to place it higher and higher, and now the cache is ~90 feet up the light pole. Apparently the owner, after he last checked the logs, just threw it as high as he could and managed to get it to stick at the top of his arc.

This is right next to the Penn State athletic fields and a public golf course.

Does anyone have a blowtorch and the number of a good lawyer?

I invite you all to look at GC1W47Z. The CO, HolyCowboys, pride themselves on making the most difficult and perplexing caches in the State College area, and this one has gotten so obnoxious it is the only Traditional left on my map in a broad swath. The lightpole is a 140 foot tall steel pole on the Penn State campus, and cache is a bison tube wrapped in neo magnets. Supposedly, it was originally placed about 15 feet off the ground, so that you would need to get a nearby golf hole flag to knock it down. Well, it apparently became funny to place it higher and higher, and now the cache is ~90 feet up the light pole. Apparently the owner, after he last checked the logs, just threw it as high as he could and managed to get it to stick at the top of his arc.

This is right next to the Penn State athletic fields and a public golf course.

Does anyone have a blowtorch and the number of a good lawyer?

What makes you think a good lawyer would have a better chance of retrieving the cache than you have? And, besides, isn't asking for the number of a good lawyer taking the ideal of a life line to an extreme?

I was out caching with my cousin the other day and found two hobos passed out in the trail in the nature center. It was only one in the afternoon so we tried to shoo em out of there but they would not wake up? To some this might not seem so out of the ordinary but I live in small town wisconsin and it was quite a funny surprise

the phrase "free beer" works on them everytime.

Last what is your most unusual caching experience? I have two... caching by myself (mistake) just after a rainfall (another mistake) trying to cross a stream on a fallen log (mistake 3) while carrying my GPS in one hand and my swag bag in the other. Log broke. So did my ankle. Found the cache anyways. :D

The other... caching on horseback, there was a micro hung in a tree my horse found before I did. Horses (well, my horse) thinks certain types of tree leaves taste good... and accidentally grabbed the cache! Fortunately she was smart enough to spit it out before swallowing... but, needless to say, I was terrified of having to report to the cache owner "needs maintenance... my horse ate your cache... I can retrieve it from the maure pile if you'd like it back!"

Double dedication. Very nice...

EVERYONE HAS A STORY!!!!!

A rectangular vegetable grater with a thick rubber handle to wade through all the fallen leaves and twigs. Got tired of scratching my hands through my gloves in a spot that has a lot of briars. PS: still didn't find the cache. No trees, bushes or other natural resources were harmed!

one of the stages contained a bird call whistle, and you needed to blow the whistle and identify the bird which makes that sound

For some reason reminds me of testing the stall warning horn on a Cessna. Uses a vacuum system, so you have to put your lips on the wing (Where all the bugs hit) and suck on it to have the horn go off, so most people put a washcloth or hand towel over the wing first.

As for most unusual cache containers it would be the one I found today. it was hidden in an old telephone. The BIG old bulky kind... The cool part is the name of the cache is, "phone a friend." to top it all off it had a hint to another one of his caches, a mystery that has to do with phones, and the numbers on them...

one of the stages contained a bird call whistle, and you needed to blow the whistle and identify the bird which makes that sound

For some reason reminds me of testing the stall warning horn on a Cessna. Uses a vacuum system, so you have to put your lips on the wing (Where all the bugs hit) and suck on it to have the horn go off, so most people put a washcloth or hand towel over the wing first.

I love the fact you have a fallout 3 avatar. I put 86+ hours into. I don't even play video games like that... EVER... not to mention your name that coincides with the game...

Edited by Coldgears

I love the fact you have a fallout 3 avatar. I put 86+ hours into. I don't even play video games like that... EVER... not to mention your name that coincides with the game...

Yeah, I've been a huge fan of Fallout since playing as the Vault Dweller in the first game.

When I got into geocaching, everyone who I offered to cache with me were either too afraid of getting attacked by random people, wildlife, snakes, spiders, or mosquitoes, or couldn't walk long distances.

Since I can't find anyone to cache with me, I decided the name of the main Fallout 3 character was perfect. After that, I decided to take the old Vault Boy, and do a little bit of photoshopping, and the Geocaching symbol added a nice touch.

Also took the same for the Waymarking site, though I think it looks a bit too much like Santa Clause.vaultboywaymarking75x75.png

;) Well, I have one that is a bison tube hung about 25 feet up a light pole, hung there by a magnet. Is that ridiculous, too? ;)

That's because if it's up that high, you can't see 'em!!!!

There's one not far from here that's over 50 feet up.

you get up to it by climbing an old abandoned radio tower. GCMYJK

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9a-f92082b349cf

Nice pic of it on the cache page. Unfortunately I'm picture impaired. Don't know how to post to these pages. One of these days.....