Tips for a new casual CITO-er?

I'm more or less geocaching by just using my GPS to be a backseat driver when I'm bored (but it doesn't always work...) and I have been astounded by how much trash there was on every trail under 50km... I would like to do something about this trash, but would like gear that is as easy to carry around as possible, and garbage bags that won't melt in the heat of summer in a closed vehicle, and that close tightly enough that the whole car won't stink (driver distraction!) If anybody knows of anything that would help, preferably that I could likely find just about anywhere, I would be at least somewhat happy (How can you be fully happy as a teen?)

P.S. The trash is too disgusting, I would like tips on poky sticks (whatever they're actually called) as well :D

I'm more or less geocaching by just using my GPS to be a backseat driver when I'm bored (but it doesn't always work...) and I have been astounded by how much trash there was on every trail under 50km... I would like to do something about this trash, but would like gear that is as easy to carry around as possible, and garbage bags that won't melt in the heat of summer in a closed vehicle, and that close tightly enough that the whole car won't stink (driver distraction!) If anybody knows of anything that would help, preferably that I could likely find just about anywhere, I would be at least somewhat happy (How can you be fully happy as a teen?)

P.S. The trash is too disgusting, I would like tips on poky sticks (whatever they're actually called) as well :D

I am also interested on this subject. I use the wifes Jeep to cahce in and asked her about doing cito. Her response was like yours "the smell" and I was denied. So if ANYONE has any suggestions...Please respond and thanks to ADTCacheur for posting this.

A local of mine leaves 35mm film canisters in caches that contain a kitchen sized trash bag. They even add a little CITO sticker on the lid. I've always been amazed that such a small container can hold the bag.

Keep a couple three bags in your pack. Chances are pretty good that you can find a place to dump it on your way back from caching.

Nice tips so far. I think I know what to get for bags now, but does anybody have any ideas for the poky sticks, as the trash is dirty enough that it's either that or hand sanitizer (which is generally going against the whole eco-friendly aspect of CITO) and if I do very much, then spending $20 on a stick will be cheaper than all the hand sanitizer I'd need.

That looks good! I doubt they get much more portable, do they? I'm currently overloading my carabiner with my GPS, a pen for BYOPs, and now a little doggie bag dispenser based on BlueDeuce's suggestion of plastic bags in a film canister. I'm probably all set now unless somebody can tell me of a stick/weed puller/little claw that I could attach to my carabiner...

That looks good! I doubt they get much more portable, do they? I'm currently overloading my carabiner with my GPS, a pen for BYOPs, and now a little doggie bag dispenser based on BlueDeuce's suggestion of plastic bags in a film canister. I'm probably all set now unless somebody can tell me of a stick/weed puller/little claw that I could attach to my carabiner...

Walmart (and I'm sure other stores) have a grabber called a "Gopher" for about $9.99 in the "As Seen on TV" section. It folds in half and is actually very light weight. It helps when picking up trash, reaching caches in high places or ones in dark, creepy places where you'd rather not stick your hand - like a hollow log with the roof covered in Daddy Long-legs spiders.

Instead of carrying gloves or a grabber stick, I use the dog poo bags as protection against yucky stuff.

I always end up with a couple in each pocket and a stash of them in my backpack because I cache with a dog. It means I don't have to carry yet another item.

The best cheapest ones are found at the $$ store.

We've put a newspaper bag to use as glove and a plastic shopping bag (which somehow accumulate even though I routinely say no thanks... :anibad: ) into film canisters (acquired from Costco - which they were going to recyle). We've not yet placed them as I need to photograph them and post to Groundspeak for permission to use. I'd asked if permission was needed - only if I plan to make more than 25.

<_< We are new to caching but love riding in the desert before so this is a perfect melt to our outdoor fun . While out riding we are sadden by the amount of trash as well . But now we seek it out . Armed with our plastic bags and gopher sticks. We pick up as many cans as possible and glass so nobody gets a flat or cut. And we turn the cans in for money which we are saving for a retreat cruise goal. we are doing our part CITO and will get a nice reward in the end. If you crush the cans with your feet you can store alot in your truck in a plastic storeage box sold anywhere and when you get home you can easly rinse it out. Unforunatly we live in AZ and cant get money for the glass but other states do. Maybe one day they will catch on to the recycle glass programs. happy caching