Traveling Caches

Although traveling caches are no longer eligible for publication there must be more than a few of them out there in geocaching land. All you aware of any and what are their cache listing info? Might be interesting to follow a few in case these almost 'once in a life time' caches come close to our local areas.

Although traveling caches are no longer eligible for publication there must be more than a few of them out there in geocaching land. All you aware of any and what are their cache listing info? Might be interesting to follow a few in case these almost 'once in a life time' caches come close to our local areas.

Well, they're just "?" caches. But I'm sure your work is already done. The only one I ever found (in 2003 or 2004) Weird NJ - Rolling Rock Cache is on several "traveling caches" bookmark lists, if you'd like to check them out via that cache page.

I started a Traveling Cache series a few years ago. Worked hard to create it in such a way that it met the guidelines yet still had a unique traveling element.

Basically I created a regular cache with a special container in a certain location (call it location “A”). After ten finds, anyone was welcome to take the container and replace it with a typical container that would forever stay in location “A.” The mover would then publish a new cache in location “B” using the original special container and log book and the process would repeat with the container eventually moving after ten finds were logged at location “B.”

The first cache was called Traveling Cache – Chapter One and was followed by Chapter Two in location “B”and Chapter Three in location C” and so on. The only thing that moved was the original container and log book. Each chapter was a fixed cache.

I worked quite nicely until, one day Groundspeak just decided to shut it down with no just cause, no warning, no discussion. When I sought to find out why, I encountered someone from the Ivory Tower who I’ll generously call a jerk. He basically told me to go pound sand. He made no attempt to understand the situation or explain why there was a sudden need to shut it down. Instead, he basically told me to get lost ... I believe the actual words were more like, "go to another site."

A cache published by a friend received similar treatment recently. Described by finders as maybe the best cache in Massachusetts, it was archived for very questionable reasons and done so without any courtesy or consideration for the cache owner who has been long paying customer and has published some outstanding caches.

I’ll pass though this forum every now and then to check it out but have not spent a penny of my money paying Groundspeak for anything or a minute of my time maintaining caches which I have been slowly phasing out.

At any rate, the OP’s comment of a “once in a lifetime” cache caught my attention. Groundspeak has little or no interest in such a thing or in leaving intact one of the best caches in Massachusetts. But the good news is that you can still place a nano on a guardrail or lamp post.

Hi Chartmaker,

You will be glad to know that there is at least one in Canada, Bernie's Traveling Cache (GC2179) published in 2001. We found it in Macklin, Saskatchewan, right after we saw the meteorite fall to the ground in November 2008. Bernie has now passed through your area and is now in the Maritimes. There are seven bookmark lists on the cache page, probably the same list as the above poster mentioned. If you head out west you may have more luck finding one as Calgary, Alberta has two traveling caches that stay within the city limits.

We put Bernie on our watch list so that we can enjoy his adventures on his journey. Many cachers find him at events.

Hopefully you, too will have the opportunity to find Bernie too!

mwellman