Paper copy of a Geocoin

Mazfam5

I found a cache the other day with a paper copy of a coin. The problem is that it was not listed in the cache, and when I tried to log it, it was not a valid tracking #. I couldn't make out about 3 of the tracking #'s because of fading and what I would guess is a little water damage. This is the first paper copy I have seen (being relatively new to geocaching), but I'm puzzled as to what I should do with it. Should I return it to the cache I found it in? Should I place it in another cache and hope someone has better luck with it, or should I just give up on it and throw it away. I would hate to do the last option, but this piece of paper has run it's course. It looks like the elements got the best of this little paper replica.

Is this paper copy thing new or has it been going on for awhile?

Proxies have been going on for a while and while some are created by their owners who want to protect and preserve the original coin from coin thieves others are created by coin thieves to put in place of their ill begotten grab.

Typically if you can contact the owner to let them know of the damage it's best to leave the decision to them about the disposition of their coin. But if you can't read the tracking numbers to even find out about ownership it's just more junk being stored in a cache. I'd toss it and hope the owner figures it out and makes another of its kind to replace it.

Edited by Droo

I found a cache the other day with a paper copy of a coin. The problem is that it was not listed in the cache, and when I tried to log it, it was not a valid tracking #. I couldn't make out about 3 of the tracking #'s because of fading and what I would guess is a little water damage. This is the first paper copy I have seen (being relatively new to geocaching), but I'm puzzled as to what I should do with it. Should I return it to the cache I found it in? Should I place it in another cache and hope someone has better luck with it, or should I just give up on it and throw it away. I would hate to do the last option, but this piece of paper has run it's course. It looks like the elements got the best of this little paper replica.

I would have to guess the last cacher couldn't log it either so they finally just dropped it off.

I am curious though, are you sure it's a proxy coin?

Would you mind emailing me the details? Perhaps I can back-track where it came from.

I would have to guess the last cacher couldn't log it either so they finally just dropped it off.

Would you mind emailing me the details? Perhaps I can back-track where it came from.

It looks as if it is a legit copy. I've e-mailed you all the info. Thanks

That was my assumption not the OP's.

Well the OP is trying to log it, so they think it's trackable too.

Which it may be. I just know I have been emailed before by people before who couldn't get my "wooden geocoins" logged correctly :D;)

7d322122-b0e4-4c79-a216-8600292724ed.jpg

That was my assumption not the OP's.

Well the OP is trying to log it, so they think it's trackable too.

Which it may be. I just know I have been emailed before by people before who couldn't get my "wooden geocoins" logged correctly :DB)

7d322122-b0e4-4c79-a216-8600292724ed.jpg

That raises the issue of whether it's trackable on the geocaching.com site. Newer folks seem to struggle with trackables on this site never mind those that involve other sites. B);)

The OP reported it as a Wyoming ducks coin and the starting EV of the tracking number is correct for the Wyoming Ducks Unlimited Geocoin. Of the coins that are activated and use the name Wyoming Ducks (21 of them) none of them are reporting problems or show as being released as a proxy.

Checking the eleven people who had visited the cache before the OP (going back to June of '09), none of them had logged a duck coin and none of the caches they had previously logged show a duck coin still listed in that cache.

Checking 500 nearby caches that listed travelers (a 28.6 mile circumference) none of them showed the Wyoming Ducks icon. (Yes, I directly checked the cache pages with the multiple coin icon)

The only thing I didn't do was contact the people who had visited the cache and ask them if they knew where it came from and I didn't read every log they have ever posted.

That's about all the research I can do at this point.

Is the copy correct for the tracking number?

Still pretty early in the month, but its some sort of cruel joke? :P:D

The smudged tracking number reads as EV _ _ _ 3

By the way I'm still having trouble logging your wooden geocoin, including the clay/ceramic ones. I think I have about five different versions at this point. :)

Do you think the problem could've been that the proxy was not activated before being placed into the cache? Thanks for all the help

Possible, but I didn't see any mention of it being placed in the cache.

One of the reasons why it's helpful to list what traveler you picked up or placed. (Just don't post the actual tracking number in the log)

Do you think the problem could've been that the proxy was not activated before being placed into the cache? Thanks for all the help

Possible, but I didn't see any mention of it being placed in the cache.

One of the reasons why it's helpful to list what traveler you picked up or placed. (Just don't post the actual tracking number in the log)

Good advice! I'll definitely start doing that from now on. Like I said earlier, we are relatively new and have a lot to learn. Thanks