Which GPS system

I have just got a Dakota 20 for my birthday and i notice in the setup you can change gps sytems from normal to WAAS, which system should i be using here in the UK.

Enabling WAAS (or EGNOS as it's known in Europe) will, under some circumstances give you the the benefit of increased accuracy using correction data from the geostationary WAAS (EGNOS)satellites.

What are the downside to enabling waas?

usually none. the exception is when you're in an area that's not actually covered by WAAS/EGNOS, but still receive its signal, in which case it may actually worsen your accuracy. but that's not very likely to happen really.

oh and some people have said that it lessens their battery life, but i didn't experience that myself.

Edited by dfx

usually none. the exception is when you're in an area that's not actually covered by WAAS/EGNOS, but still receive its signal, in which case it may actually worsen your accuracy. but that's not very likely to happen really.

oh and some people have said that it lessens their battery life, but i didn't experience that myself.

I have seen warnings/ read some where that is shortens your battery life. But I have bought rechargables so do not care :D

I have seen warnings/ read some where that is shortens your battery life. But I have bought rechargables so do not care :D

My 60CSx has WAAS permanently enabled and I get a full weekend's caching out of one set of good quality alkaline batteries.