Geocacher/Log Issues

Pasha88

Alright, perhaps this is just my current frustration, but hopefully someone can help me with this...

I have a large number of "successful" (long standing with many finds) caches, but also some new ones (approx 80 total). For the most part, people caching in our area are VERY receptive and appreciative of cachesplaced near home - especially puzzles that have been given a lot of thought and time. However, there is one particular cacher who, no matter what, will write something negative about your geocache in his/her "find" log.

For example:

I have a cache located on public, crown land. It is easily accessible from the public, crown land. It is approximately a 500m walk down a path from parking on the side of the road. However, there is also parking on private property (a car garage)located just 100m from the cache.

Log reads: Cache requires people to go on private land. Caches shouldn't be placed on PP. Not happy with cache placement.

I took a long time trying to find out if this particular area of land was private or public. I contacted the municipality many times, and I was given the ok to place this particular cache.

34 other individuals to date have done the puzzle and found this cache, with no complaints (other than someone who stepped in a creek and had to go home with a wet shoe). Cache listing clearly states cache is on public land.

Example 2: another puzzle cache. Sudoku.

A few kind individuals identified an issue with the cache, which was solved immediately. 6 additional cachers had no problems with this cache once I corrected the mistake.

Log from cacher:Tried to figure puzzle out twice. Couldn't figure it out. Puzzle is wrong. CO needs to fix it.

Fortunately for the cacher, I had listed the approximately co-ords (within 100m) for the actual listing and they were able to find it just by wandering around looking for the clue. But, this cacher didn't say what the mistakes were or how they could be fixed. B)

There are 5 or 6 other examples of logs that were quite rude (some DNF logs included, where they DNF'd, said it was an awful cache/location, yet when I went to do maintenance it was there, and one including a word that shouldn't be used on a family site)

I deleted the DNF logs, but feel bad deleting the found logs as I know that will erase the find from the cacher's page. I know at least 2 other local cachers have called this particluar person out (one, very publicly, at an event) for rude logs(especially for DNFs) with no changes in his/her behaviour. I have even sent this cacher a message but got no response and continue to receive rude logs. This cacher has over 8000 finds so I also feel like I don't have much say with my 230finds... against this seasoned cacher.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions as to what can be done to correct these logs? Perhaps I am taking this cacher's logs too seriously and should listen to the other people who have found and enjoyed the same cache? Thoughts?

Thanks...

1. You can't please everyone all the time.

2. Some people are just plain jerks. There is nothing you can do to change them.

It sound like this person's reputation precedes him/her. I am sure most of the cachers in your area are aware of him/her and take his/her behavior with a grain of salt. Let his/her comments stand. A find is a find. If his/her language is too coarse, you can always report it to Groundspeak and let them deal with it. Other than that, ignore the comments and don't let them get to you.

A few kind individuals identified an issue with the cache, which was solved immediately. 6 additional cachers had no problems with this cache once I corrected the mistake.

Log from cacher:Tried to figure puzzle out twice. Couldn't figure it out. Puzzle is wrong. CO needs to fix it.

Fortunately for the cacher, I had listed the approximately co-ords (within 100m) for the actual listing and they were able to find it just by wandering around looking for the clue. But, this cacher didn't say what the mistakes were or how they could be fixed. :unsure:

If he couldn't figure out the puzzle, how does he know it's wrong?!!

B)

You could log a note responding politely and succintly to his/her log on your cache. The note would show that you are a responsible owner and would allow you to correct the false accusations. It would also help to move the miserable cacher's log farther down the line and closer to scrolling off the front page. Then, I would suggest that you move on and try to ignore this person and his/her logs on other's caches. You know what kind of person this cacher is, and it sounds like the other cachers in your area know as well.

Give it a little time and soon that log will scroll down out of sight, and therefore, out of mind. The cacher that wrote it is entitled to their opinion, even if that opinion is in factual error. Let it go.

ayep.

My favorite criticism was being told that my cache was too far to walk to.

At most I'd post a note right after the offending log and point out the correct info. For example, "Free public parking is available to the (N, S, E, or W) of the cache. No need to cross private property."

I was thinking this as well. If logs state problems with access, even if they are rude, it might be an indication that you should be even more clear on proper approach. Some people think the only way to bring up a concern or confusion is to complain about it. Sometimes if you take away the angst part, they might have a valid point.

When i was told that my cache was too far to walk to I added in "This is a nice walk on a very nice, flat, asphalt trail. (check the photo) You'll be there and back in about a half hour.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I would not delete any logs unless they where bogus or contained profanity or otherwise inappropriate language.

If someone writes a critical log, I ask myself if the criticism is warranted. If it is I'll take it to heart. If not, then I igore it.

If someone writes a rude log it reflects poorly on that person, not me. I'll let it sit there for the world to see.

Edited by briansnat

I'll be the vocal minority and say delete them. It's your cache page. If you feel their logs are inappropriate that is really all the justification needed to remove them.

Perhaps they will get the hint and re-log without the negativity.

For example - You did everything right on the cache page but not everyone reads the entire cache page (I know I quite often don't). That they inaccurately stated the cache is "on public land" makes them look bad, not you, so, why the sensitivity?

Example 2 - You clearly indicate you made a mistake in the listing, yet, you complain that someone logged "Puzzle is wrong. CO needs to fix it". Actually, it seems, by your wording, you didn't like "how", not, that they said it - They were blunt and to the point AND factual. Seems the problem is not with the logger.

5 or 6 other examples - Just because you find a site as super fantastic and great does not mean everyone else needs to agree. Why are they not "allowed" to disagree with your view of your cache placement? I believe that no one places a cache that they don't feel good about, yet, I've come across a few that I thought totally sucked. Though I generally don't say so in a log - others may prefer to express themselves more explicitly. That they DNF'd the cache when in fact it was still there does not have any real bearing.

Inappropriate language has no business in any log (online or off).

Deleting logs just because you don't like how they said what they said or how they said it, I feel, is way out of line.

My only question, since I've very RARELY come across a log entry that I considered "rude" (I've been caching since 2003), why is it that you get so very many of them? I can't help but wonder what the "other side of the story(s)" is.

Why not take to heart the good logs, ignore the "rude" ones, and have fun Geocaching?

2. Some people are just plain jerks. There is nothing you can do to change them.

It sound like this person's reputation precedes him/her. I am sure most of the cachers in your area are aware of him/her and take his/her behavior with a grain of salt. Let his/her comments stand. A find is a find. If his/her language is too coarse, you can always report it to Groundspeak and let them deal with it. Other than that, ignore the comments and don't let them get to you.

Thats pretty much how I see it.

Thats pretty much how I see it.

For example - You did everything right on the cache page but not everyone reads the entire cache page (I know I quite often don't). That they inaccurately stated the cache is "on public land" makes them look bad, not you, so, why the sensitivity?

Example 2 - You clearly indicate you made a mistake in the listing, yet, you complain that someone logged "Puzzle is wrong. CO needs to fix it". Actually, it seems, by your wording, you didn't like "how", not, that they said it - They were blunt and to the point AND factual. Seems the problem is not with the logger.

5 or 6 other examples - Just because you find a site as super fantastic and great does not mean everyone else needs to agree. Why are they not "allowed" to disagree with your view of your cache placement? I believe that no one places a cache that they don't feel good about, yet, I've come across a few that I thought totally sucked. Though I generally don't say so in a log - others may prefer to express themselves more explicitly. That they DNF'd the cache when in fact it was still there does not have any real bearing.

Deleting logs just because you don't like how they said what they said or how they said it, I feel, is way out of line.

My only question, since I've very RARELY come across a log entry that I considered "rude" (I've been caching since 2003), why is it that you get so very many of them? I can't help but wonder what the "other side of the story(s)" is.

Why not take to heart the good logs, ignore the "rude" ones, and have fun Geocaching?

Well, considering how rude this post sounds, I couls easily understand how you would not see rudeness in those logs. You probably don't see it in your own writing either?

Well, considering how rude this post sounds, I couls easily understand how you would not see rudeness in those logs. You probably don't see it in your own writing either?

Thanks Write Shop Robert, I agree. Just because you feel something should be said, doesn't mean you need to insult the person in doing so. There are SO many ways your thoughts and feelings can be shared; why not share them in the politest way possible?

Log reads: Cache requires people to go on private land. Caches shouldn't be placed on PP. Not happy with cache placement.

i looked through your caches and tried to find the logs and the user you're talking about. i believe i found them, but only with a very vague and broad interpretation of their actual logs, which are nowhere close to what you quote here. tbh i don't see anything rude in what they write, they're simply describing their experience and stating their opinions. unless i'm missing something?

this is quite interesting that this subject comes up from someone that called my note, on one of their final caches to a series, rude

a note that merely made a suggestion that would be nice to have all the links to the rest of the caches on the listing of the final

next thing i know i get a message calling my log rude

i am not the type to hold grudges and i don't take such things to heart, if it was someone else they would have, as i have seen in this forums, put all your caches on ignore

however i believe that to be childish, this is a game not a place for personal vendettas

proof stands the fact that we went about our business and did quite a lot of your caches

no offense to you Pasha but you are overreacting

reading the logs you're referencing i do not see anything even remotely similar to your claims of rudeness

perhaps you should post those logs in their entirety and use the "quotes"

people are entitled to their opinion, some choose to express it and others don't

when i make a comment in my log is always in the form of a suggestion, if the CO chooses to use it its up to them

we have quite a few hides out there and some loved them and others complained...so what?...they are entitled to do so

the way i look at all complaints is a way to perhaps improve on our future hides

as i said its a game that is supposed to bring us some form of pleasure and relaxation, not stress

my advice is to take it all with a grain of salt

I'll be the vocal minority and say delete them. It's your cache page. If you feel their logs are inappropriate that is really all the justification needed to remove them.

Perhaps they will get the hint and re-log without the negativity.

You would be wrong to do so per the guidelines.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

From the snippets provided, it doesn't seem that the offensive logs fit any of these categories.

Give it a little time and soon that log will scroll down out of sight, and therefore, out of mind. The cacher that wrote it is entitled to their opinion, even if that opinion is in factual error. Let it go.

I concur with Sir woofsalot-let it go, and leave the logs out there for all to see (for a short time). The community probably already knows about him.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page.

If the post to the cache page does not meet the cache owners standard of quality for their page then deletion is one method of quality control.

Let them either appeal or re-log sans the attitude.

My favorite criticism was being told that my cache was too far to walk to.

my favorite was that i put a cache in an area that i thought to be cache-less, but actually had the final for a mystery in there, with the header coords a few km away. my cache wasn't too close, but my cache listing merely said that the area was previously cache-less. and the CO of the mystery complained about that. :D

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page.

If the post to the cache page does not meet the cache owners standard of quality for their page then deletion is one method of quality control.

You missed the qualifier

Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

I don't see anything about deleting logs for offending delicate sensibilities. Personally I find that when we start deleting logs for personal reasons gc.com takes away more options.

I recommend that we not start a trend recommending that we delete logs just so it has to be appealed.

It seems like they had good intentions, though the wording may have been terse. When a cacher criticizes a cache, it's usually because they want to be helpful. Don't read rudeness and insult into something simply because it economizes on words.

In the first instance, I might write back with a note like this:

"Glad to see you found *cache name.* I see that you have concerns about it being on private property - just thought I'd let you know that it's on public land and it was placed with permission. I hope this allays your concern!"

I like what narcissa said - being so nice implies you haven't taken umbrage at what they posted. Two sayings of my late Mum come to mind here: "Keep your powder dry" meaning don't react to something in haste and "You'll catch more bees with honey than with vinegar" - a nice response will have you winning. You can say a lot in a nice way...if you know what I mean :D

Don't let it get under your skin!

I like what narcissa said - being so nice implies you haven't taken umbrage at what they posted. Two sayings of my late Mum come to mind here: "Keep your powder dry" meaning don't react to something in haste and "You'll catch more bees with honey than with vinegar" - a nice response will have you winning. You can say a lot in a nice way...if you know what I mean :D

Don't let it get under your skin!

Funny... I always thought that "Keep your powder dry" meant to always be prepared to shoot your enemy.

After reading t4e's post I went looking. I found you had one Puzzle Cache the is a Suduko. On it there is only one log from someone with "over 8000 finds". Here is that log,

Yawhooo FTF. Did the puzzle quickly this morning and it didn't work. So I did it again witht he same results. Read the discription and knew right where the park was since I had a FTF on the other one that ws here. So I adjusted a few numbers and came up with a solution in the park. Decided to start my day here. As it turns out the numbers I came up with were 20 meters out. Having a Magellan really helped as I am getting use to expanding my search. Came up with the find and look a Blank Log Book but it has a different name on it. . Even check the back all the time know thanks to J&D. I believe the puzzle needs a bit af tweeking.

Thanks for the cache.

You came on this board and completely misrepresented the cacher. You led us to believe that you had a problem with the puzzle, fixed the problem, cacher tried puzzle twice, cacher guessed and found it.

Fortunately for the cacher, I had listed the approximately co-ords (within 100m) for the actual listing and they were able to find it just by wandering around looking for the clue. But, this cacher didn't say what the mistakes were or how they could be fixed. :D

As we see from the cacher's log they solved puzzle twice, looked wrong to them so they played with the numbers and found a solution that worked in the park the cache was in, cacher went out and was First to Find! So lets give you the benefit of the doubt, some other cachers were trying to figure it out and helped you find the problem with the puzzle and you fixed it before the cacher was FTF. Give them the benifit of the doubt and they were working off a PQ with the unfixed data. And they figured it out anyway. They then posted their experience and mentioned you might have an issue, which you admitted in your post that you did.

If you are going to come on a public forum and post complaints about someone get your facts straight. Do not paraphrase their log, quote it word for word. Do not twist things to meet your view. You will lose credibility. After reading the real log that was left on your Suduko Puzzle it completely discredited anything else you said in your post. So I looked at the last 20 logs the "offending" cacher wrote. Among them I found mostly factual comments about their experience, but a couple I found what I call discrete logs, the kind I leave when I don't have much else to say. I found two on yours that appeared to be matching your quote.

Here are the two I found

Was here a while back but only had 1/2 the numbers. Also thought and still do think that this is PP. Since I now have all the numbers I went to GZ and yup cache is there.

Thanks for the cache.

Knew that was the number. Just didn't want to believe it as it sure seemed like PP. Well back to the final.

Granted these logs weren't glowing with praise, but they were not rude either. They just stated what the cacher did and what they believed. I believe you when you tell us you made sure it was on public land. However, I could take the stand that if you misrepresented these cachers on a public forum you must be misrepresenting that info. Could it be that the cacher in question has a reason to doubt you? Could they read this thread and think about other times they believe you have misrepresented something?

I don't personally know you or the other cacher. I have no agenda or believe to know who is right or wrong in these incidents. I am just pointing out how important it is to try to think carefully about what others are really saying, especially before going out in public and making accusations. Try to look at it from their point of view. I'm not saying to automatically agree with them, But try not to paint their actions with malice. Even after thinking about it carefully, multiple times, it is usually best to forget it and move on.

This is simply wrong. AND it is a very poor attitude toward our little game. The cache owner does not get to set a "standard of quality" for the logs on the cache. This comes off as being extremely arrogant. :D

Fortunately for the cacher, I had listed the approximately co-ords (within 100m) for the actual listing and they were able to find it just by wandering around looking for the clue. But, this cacher didn't say what the mistakes were or how they could be fixed. ;)

If he couldn't figure out the puzzle, how does he know it's wrong?!!

:D

same reason that people with thousands of finds that dnf a hide assume its not there.

puzzles regardless of how hard/easy they are should have someone else beta test the puzzle itself.