Hides near playgrounds

If anyone asks me why I'm there, I'll hand them one of those nifty "What is Geocaching" pamphlets that I keep in my pack.

Can you PLEASE give me that PDF file. I have had a few situations where people ask what I am doing and trying to explain it is hard to do... I've had a police officer write down my license plate once because I looked suspicious. PLEASE! I would LOVE to print a few of them out...

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/Brochur...nline_color.pdf

http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/brochure1.pdf

I'm probably going to end up in handcuffs in the backseat of a squad car someday. Probably

I say that because, before reading this forum, I would never have thought twice about looking for a geocache hidden in a playground. Most of the playgrounds I know of are in public parks; being a member of the public, I assume I'm allowed to be in those parks. I always assume that the person who placed the cache has adequate permission. If they have permission to place it, I have permission to look for it.You know what they say about assumptions. Let's say I have an enemy and I tell you it's OK to egg his car because he wants that to happen, then you do it. Will my telling you that he wanted that to happen erase all charges against you for vandalism? But vandalism is against the law. Being a grown man in a playground is not against the law.

But now I've read these forums, and I now realize that the whole world has gone mad. Everyone is infected with the "stranger = danger" virus, and if I go into a playground all the Mommies will assume that I am there to fondle or kidnap their precious Snowflake. You are only realizing this now? watch the news or read a paper now and then.

You know what? That's not going to stop me. It's not even going to make me uncomfortable. It's a public park, paid for with my tax dollars, and if they don't like it they can keep Snowflake in their own yard. Or they will let "Snowflake" roam where they want and let the cops figure it out. Pretty sure the cops will think "Snowflake" has a better reason to play in the park than a middle aged man looking for a geocache that may or may not have had permission to be placed there in the first place.

If anyone asks me why I'm there, I'll hand them one of those nifty "What is Geocaching" pamphlets that I keep in my pack. Just make sure there is no duct tape, para-cord or a camera in that pack or things could go bad really fast for you.I was going to make a smart comment here, but reconsidered because... well, because whenever I'm engaged in an outdoor activity I have my little backpack with me. And my backpack always has paracord and duct tape in it, as well as a camera.

I am honestly not trying to be adversarial with you but I am trying to point out some flaws in your post that might get you into trouble at worst or a temporary uncomfortable situation at best.

I appreciate your concern. I still refuse to knuckle under to this mass hysteria that is gripping the country. I'm not doing anything illegal, and I'm not doing anything immoral. I'm engaging in a fun, legal, healthy, normal out-door activity that I enjoy. And I'm not going to go skulking around as if I'm a criminal. We're talking about public parks here, that happen to have playground equipment in them. I'm allowed to be there, and I'm not going to let other people's hysterical fears determine my behavior.

At this point... anything I say now may show up in the future online when I am applying for a job... I've seen the law from both sides...

I like Pie... (wait... that's another thread)

Sorry but unlike many threads that come up monthly around here, you will have to wait until next March 14 for that topic.