Hides near playgrounds

OK, Headhardhat in Geo-snippets is very clear that most geocachers would look pretty suspicious nosing around a playground.

Cache: GC1VJ80 is such a cache that made me very uncomfortable hunting for without my kids in tow. THis cache also is on church property and does not indicate if permission was obtained. Anyone else see this as a problem?

I don't see a specific prohibition against playground hides in the hiding guidelines, unless its near a school. Am I missing something?

I understand your concern. Even with children in tow an older man skulking around a playground attracts some attention. I've even had to explain myself to a police officer once...

When I hunt a cache that's been placed in a playground I go at night (when only the teenagers are hanging around drinking beer) or in bad weather and I make a point of explaining to the cache owner why this may not be a good idea. I my local area (Ottawa, Ontario) reviewers are sensitive to the schoolyard/playground locations and generally will not approve the cache, but as you've discovered that's not always the case.

Blue -

That's why I usually make sure I take time to play a little bit/let me 6 year old neices play or take the dog for a walk when I do those types of caches. Fortunately, I am only 21 and female, so I can still pass as someone who loves to swing on the swingset!

I don't know about the particular cache you're talking about, but I know that if I decide to go, I will:

a) take a kid/dog/friend.

:unsure: avoid busy days; school holidays, summer afternoons, etc

c) bring a picnic basket/eat my lunch on a park bench

d) make sure the area is as deserted as possible wehn I do go to make the find. Sometimes that means going back and forth to the cache site 3 or 4 times.

One of my favourites... my boyfriend and I pretended to have a snowball fight. I ducked behind the tree for cover, made the find, formed a snowball, threw it, signed the log, repeated snowball, replaced cache, ran to the next tree. Worked like a charm. B)

I know it's frustrating, but good luck!

OK, Headhardhat in Geo-snippets is very clear that most geocachers would look pretty suspicious nosing around a playground.

Cache: GC1VJ80 is such a cache that made me very uncomfortable hunting for without my kids in tow. THis cache also is on church property and does not indicate if permission was obtained. Anyone else see this as a problem?

I don't see a specific prohibition against playground hides in the hiding guidelines, unless its near a school. Am I missing something?

One thing that could be an issue is that it may have been hidden on Church property without permission. If permission was given, then the only other problem (challenge) might be getting the cache without gaining too much muggle attention.

On your reluctance to look for a cache because you think you look suspicious,, that's something you have to figure out for yourself.

We have a cache hidden on city park playground equipment and yes, it can be tough getting to it when children are playing (performing maintenance on it has shown me this). However, i have never felt like i didn't belong as i'm definitely not doing anything wrong or illegal. I do realize that there are probably areas in the world where hiding a cache like this isn't the best idea. For the most part though, i generally don't see it as being a problem...

On your reluctance to look for a cache because you think you look suspicious,, that's something you have to figure out for yourself.

Its not that I am very scary looking, I guess just more sensitive to it because of the geosnippets vid. If the location was out in a public park I wouldn't have thought twice about taking a walk through there at noon on my lunch break. This seemed like a private play area behind a church with a rectory right next door however. (residence for clergy)

It doesn't bother me because I have kids. But think about even the multitude of caches in parks in general. I think hanging around trees on the edge of the park trying not to attract attention or being seen (to avoid muggles), likely looks just as creepy or suspicious as crawling around on the playground equipment.

What I do is, if I'm not comfortable searching for a cache, I walk away.

Just did that yesterday afternoon - cache is in the middle of a playground with over 100 people, about half of them kids.

With playgrounds, I'd either ignore it, or I'll come back when I know there will be no one around.

ha....i went to a cache last week that was on a trail..... around one bend, there was police tape everywhere "crime scene, do not enter"

now that was some discomfort.

on topic... i'd just send my son in... or more to the point, he'd be leading me in, cutting his eyes at all the kids wondering if they were there to steal the cache.

Edited by BulldogBlitz

Being part of the younger generation (in my low 30s) and hearing the stories, plus having kids of my own, I wouldn't even look for it because of muggles, or looking like someone "looking for a spot to spy on kids".

People are nuts nowadays, better to just ignore those that may cause problems.

I am a single male and 60 years old, and cache alone most of the time. Playground caches immediately go to my Ignore List. If I can't tell from the cache description that a cache is in a playground, when I drive up and realize the sort of area I would have to search in, I keep on driving, then put the cache on my Ignore List.

Besides, searching for a micro or nano on playground equipment is not my idea of fun, so I don't consider I'm missing much.

--Larry

There's a bunch of them locally and I'm very careful about when I look. Some are on playground equipment, some quite a distance away. If there is no one around, I'll look. Doesn't bother me all that much. They are easier if on a bicycle, as it seems more natural. I much prefer these over the ones in someone's front yard. Those I avoid like the plague!

Its not that I am very scary looking, I guess just more sensitive to it because of the geosnippets vid. If the location was out in a public park I wouldn't have thought twice about taking a walk through there at noon on my lunch break. This seemed like a private play area behind a church with a rectory right next door however. (residence for clergy)

I just re-viewed that Headhardhat video the other day! Although he is shown at a playground, he's actually talking about school property. Yes, nothing prohibits playground caches, but I sure as heck walk away. Well, I do remember once I showed up at one, and there were like 150 kids there. So I came back at like 6:00 AM one day, where I found the coordinates to a leg of a multi stamped into wooden playground equipment with a stamping kit. :D;)

I am a single male and 60 years old, and cache alone most of the time. Playground caches immediately go to my Ignore List. If I can't tell from the cache description that a cache is in a playground, when I drive up and realize the sort of area I would have to search in, I keep on driving, then put the cache on my Ignore List.

Besides, searching for a micro or nano on playground equipment is not my idea of fun, so I don't consider I'm missing much.

--Larry

Agree.. I ignore playground equipment hides.

I've found some, I've ignored some, I've come back on other days for some, and I've introduced Dad's with their Little Girl to caching on at least one. You are responsible for the caches you go after. Some people hide playground caches because they have kids, and that is the best place for them to hide caches. They are far from my own ideal cache, but they do work for some.

I have a 2 ½ year old who is always asking to go geocaching (or to find a treasure box) so I look for playground hides. They are usually in a safe place for him to explore and he can run of some of his boundless energy either before or after we find it. However IMO playground hides should clearly state that they are one in the description. Because so many people take their kids and playgrounds are an ideal place for them to find these I feel they should always be large enough to hold swag if at all possible. Most importantly they should never be micros or nanos hidden on playground equipment. What are some people thinking? What if one becomes dislodged? It’s an instant choking hazard. As for stamping anything on playground equipment or anything else that is not owned by you it’s the same as graffiti and should never be done. I hope whoever did that donated it.

One thing that could be an issue is that it may have been hidden on Church property without permission. If permission was given, then the only other problem (challenge) might be getting the cache without gaining too much muggle attention.

I *had* one on church property with permission however its problem was cachers not using stealth with sunday school in session it went missing a lot so i just archived it. good spot assuming stealth was used.

There's a playground equipment cache in the movie Splinterheads. I just figured Splinterheads needed a little love, haven't heard from them in a while. :D And no, there are no kids or soccer Mom's around when they find it.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

The thought that adults cannot go near a playground because everyone thinks they are paedophiles is an abhorrent thought. Not every adult is a potential paedophile.

Giving into this mentality means that kids will see less adults around and this will reinforce the idea that any adult is a danger. The vast vast majority are not. By all means instill a sense of risk assessment into your kids but don't make them think every male (or female) above 14 is a possible abuser.

Stats have always shown and probably always will show that the abuser is far more likely to be known, if not even a family member.

I am an adult male, that does not make me a person to be feared by young children, I don't let this mindset prevent me interacting with kids.

But then I never carry pictures of puppies or bags of sweets either :D

Edited by davnig
:D It seems that everyone has an opinion about playground caches. So I will toss in my 2 cents and probably get some change back. Placing a nano on the equipment is stupid and will get lost real quick, and make the adult looking for it look a bit silly. However, I plan to place a nano on one of the benches off to the side, so come, sit read a book, reach down and there it is. That is how to place a playground cache for adults.

It's not against the guidelines. It's just as likely that it was placed with the church's permission as not. You need to determine your own comfort level with this or any other style of hide. I walked away from a climbing one the other day because I didn't like the risk/reward issue.

That said-these are one of my least favorite locations for cache placements and I will base my decision of whether to attempt a find based on the amount of traffic on the equipment at the time. I also might express this opinion as part of my log, but since I am an omnivorous cacher, I will return at some point for a find if it is near home.

If a hide is at a playground, I say find them quickly when published because they all seem to go missing soon after.

As far as finding them, I won't search for them if I"m alone and there's people around, but if my wife & son are along, we'll go for them. Doesn't look too out of place if a family's hanging out together.

This is one of those things that if I were a guy I'd probably steer clear of the playground, but because I'm a woman that looks old enough to have kids (merely hoping I look only old enough to only have young children!!!!!) I'll go right in for them--provided the area I feel it is in isn't teeming with muggles.

If ever confronted with a parent that thinks I'm a perv or a cop I figure I'd just say I was there earlier in the day with my child and he/she/it lost something (e.g. glasses, favorite hair tie, etc) I was looking around for it. Then again, it's even my perception that I'm only more credible because of my gender.

Although another good point made is that they don't last long! Kids will find the cache, think it's cool treasure, and keep it not knowing what it is. But determining in the risk is up to the CO, hopefully they'll at least not be absentee COs (ALWAYS seems to happen with these caches!!).

I'm probably going to end up in handcuffs in the backseat of a squad car someday.

I say that because, before reading this forum, I would never have thought twice about looking for a geocache hidden in a playground. Most of the playgrounds I know of are in public parks; being a member of the public, I assume I'm allowed to be in those parks. I always assume that the person who placed the cache has adequate permission. If they have permission to place it, I have permission to look for it.

But now I've read these forums, and I now realize that the whole world has gone mad. Everyone is infected with the "stranger = danger" virus, and if I go into a playground all the Mommies will assume that I am there to fondle or kidnap their precious Snowflake.

You know what? That's not going to stop me. It's not even going to make me uncomfortable. It's a public park, paid for with my tax dollars, and if they don't like it they can keep Snowflake in their own yard.

If anyone asks me why I'm there, I'll hand them one of those nifty "What is Geocaching" pamphlets that I keep in my pack.

I have small children and like an above poster said, sometimes the kiddos just want to go to a playground and it's fun to find a cache while there. I have a playground hide, in a patch of trees about 10 feet from the edge of the playground. Here's an excerpt from my description:

Nelson Ranch Park has a tennis court, covered picnic area, and playground (which is within easy sight of the cache so great for little cachers).

Several area cachers without small children have gone to find it, some making comments that they've gone early in the morning or late in the evening or on a cold day to avoid kids. One group went together and one ended up throwing a football around with some older kids.

I cache with small children with me and even so have gotten weird looks while looking for a cache by a playground. I am just up front in such situations, go up to the person looking at me sideways and tell them what I'm doing. One mom dove right into looking with me and said maybe she would get her hubby that GPS he's been asking for for his birthday or Christmas ;)

PS. My cache is currently disabled, prob MIA sigh. Going to go check on it this afternoon during a cache placement run ;)

I am an adult male, that does not make me a person to be feared by young children, I don't let this mindset prevent me interacting with kids.

You are making way too much sense to be commenting on this topic. A male adult anywhere near a playground, for any reason is probable cause to call the police to report a pedophile stalking your children. Use your common sense! ;)

Most of the playgrounds I know of are in public parks; being a member of the public, I assume I'm allowed to be in those parks. I always assume that the person who placed the cache has adequate permission. If they have permission to place it, I have permission to look for it.

There are, of course, playgrounds in some areas that specifically prohibit adults who are unaccompanied by a child under a certain age.

And others hides where "adequate permission" may not include knowledge of the local managers. One of my friends, who got up early to do a playground hide before kids were there, explained to the park worker, "I did not want to look suspicious." He was told that it was too late.

So, more of a matter of curiosity than anything else, I wonder how many playground hides have obtained express permission. My guess is that it would be similar to the proportion of lamp post hides. But I could be wrong. Maybe park managers just love to invite people to poke around their playgrounds.

Edited by Erickson

Unlike just about everyone else I have problems with playground hides because of my apparent age- not because I look sketchy.

I don't like getting stopped by the truancy officers! It is hard to explain to them that I'm well out of college and I'm looking for a small item at a play ground while they try and contact my home state for an ID check.

I like man others in here just go at odd hours. I'm also thinking a GeoDog might be in my future.

You are making way too much sense to be commenting on this topic. A male adult anywhere near a playground, for any reason is probable cause to call the police to report a pedophile stalking your children. Use your common sense! :)

I know, the media is so full of fear at the moment.

if it's strange, or different, it must be bad, 'drown the witch, drown the witch' ;)

It's so sad ;)

If anyone asks me why I'm there, I'll hand them one of those nifty "What is Geocaching" pamphlets that I keep in my pack.

Can you PLEASE give me that PDF file. I have had a few situations where people ask what I am doing and trying to explain it is hard to do... I've had a police officer write down my license plate once because I looked suspicious. PLEASE! I would LOVE to print a few of them out...

I'm probably going to end up in handcuffs in the backseat of a squad car someday. Probably

I say that because, before reading this forum, I would never have thought twice about looking for a geocache hidden in a playground. Most of the playgrounds I know of are in public parks; being a member of the public, I assume I'm allowed to be in those parks. I always assume that the person who placed the cache has adequate permission. If they have permission to place it, I have permission to look for it.You know what they say about assumptions. Let's say I have an enemy and I tell you it's OK to egg his car because he wants that to happen, then you do it. Will my telling you that he wanted that to happen erase all charges against you for vandalism?

But now I've read these forums, and I now realize that the whole world has gone mad. Everyone is infected with the "stranger = danger" virus, and if I go into a playground all the Mommies will assume that I am there to fondle or kidnap their precious Snowflake. You are only realizing this now? watch the news or read a paper now and then.

You know what? That's not going to stop me. It's not even going to make me uncomfortable. It's a public park, paid for with my tax dollars, and if they don't like it they can keep Snowflake in their own yard. Or they will let "Snowflake" roam where they want and let the cops figure it out. Pretty sure the cops will think "Snowflake" has a better reason to play in the park than a middle aged man looking for a geocache that may or may not have had permission to be placed there in the first place.

If anyone asks me why I'm there, I'll hand them one of those nifty "What is Geocaching" pamphlets that I keep in my pack. Just make sure there is no duct tape, para-cord or a camera in that pack or things could go bad really fast for you.

I am honestly not trying to be adversarial with you but I am trying to point out some flaws in your post that might get you into trouble at worst or a temporary uncomfortable situation at best.

Yikes I never thought about that - a lot of geocacher pack contents would look very incriminating to a police officer who has gotten a call about a potential pedophile. Let's not forget a pocket knife and a small bag of children's toys ;)

Just make sure there is no duct tape, para-cord or a camera in that pack or things could go bad really fast for you.

Yikes I never thought about that - a lot of geocacher pack contents would look very incriminating to a police officer who has gotten a call about a potential pedophile. Let's not forget a pocket knife and a small bag of children's toys ;)

Just make sure there is no duct tape, para-cord or a camera in that pack or things could go bad really fast for you.

Indeed.

officer:what are you doing in this playground?

me:nothin

officer: what is in that pack you are carrying?

me: just some tape, para-cord, small knife, some childrens toys and a camera...

officer: please turn around and interlace your fingers behind your head...

me: but I was just geocaching with permission here searching for a bit of tupperware with other toys in it or a tiny tube with a log book in it that I could sign!

officer: geo what? Who gave you permission? yah yah... just don't make any sudden movements and tell your story to the D.A. and your Lawyer.

I'm probably going to end up in handcuffs in the backseat of a squad car someday.

I say that because, before reading this forum, I would never have thought twice about looking for a geocache hidden in a playground. Most of the playgrounds I know of are in public parks; being a member of the public, I assume I'm allowed to be in those parks. I always assume that the person who placed the cache has adequate permission. If they have permission to place it, I have permission to look for it.

But now I've read these forums, and I now realize that the whole world has gone mad. Everyone is infected with the "stranger = danger" virus, and if I go into a playground all the Mommies will assume that I am there to fondle or kidnap their precious Snowflake.

You know what? That's not going to stop me. It's not even going to make me uncomfortable. It's a public park, paid for with my tax dollars, and if they don't like it they can keep Snowflake in their own yard.

Good for you. I like your style. ;)

If a hide is good enough to be on a playground and not be muggled than it should be there. That's cool. I have no aversion to playground hides. Better to have one than no hide at all.

<snip>officer: geo what? Who gave you permission? yah yah... just don't make any sudden movements and tell your story to the D.A. and your Lawyer.

You don't go to the DA and need a lawyer for suspicion.

As I said before, the key is to disappear BEFORE the police arrive.

<snip>officer: geo what? Who gave you permission? yah yah... just don't make any sudden movements and tell your story to the D.A. and your Lawyer.

The key is to not put yourself in a position where the police will arrive.

(not that I always have followed that advice myself)

The key is to not put yourself in a position where the police will arrive.

(not that I always have followed that advice myself)

Living life in fear isn't living at all.

The key is to not do anything illegal. Avoiding the police isn't an issue.

I was being sarcastic when I said to be gone before the police arrive. In fact, I have been at a cache location and just knew the police were on their way, so I waited for them. It's never disappointed me.

I normally ignore them, but I did look for one a few weeks ago that was supposed to be hidden on a piece of playground equipment. But it was a night-only cache and the playground was quite deserted. Too bad I couldn't find it... and I gave that frog a really good frisking.