What Size is my Cache?

OK, I've done my due diligence (5 minutes googling and searching the forums), and can't find a definitive answer for this, so I'm going to post my question.

I'm creating a cache, and am uncertain how to choose a size - is it the object as a whole, or the place where the log fits? My cache is larger than a shoe box, with a very small spot for a log. My gut tells me to go with the cache size in its entirety (since it is one movable piece), and select "Regular".

I suppose it will be a bit odd for somebody to see "Regular" cache, BYOP... but that's the way it is.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

OK, I've done my due diligence (5 minutes googling and searching the forums), and can't find a definitive answer for this, so I'm going to post my question.

I'm creating a cache, and am uncertain how to choose a size - is it the object as a whole, or the place where the log fits? My cache is larger than a shoe box, with a very small spot for a log. My gut tells me to go with the cache size in its entirety (since it is one movable piece), and select "Regular".

I suppose it will be a bit odd for somebody to see "Regular" cache, BYOP... but that's the way it is.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Your cache size is "other" which means "see the description".

I'd say other or micro.

If I put a bison tube in a small hole in a park bench, isn't it still a micro? even though the "object" holding it is much larger?

Mine is different, though, in that the log holding part is physically attached to the rest of the cache. The park bench is not part of your cache. (Or maybe it is - who am I to judge?)

I think I'm leaning towards "other" right now.

Kevin

I wouldn't put regular, people exepect to find swag in one that size and some people would be upset if they got out there and found only a log when they expected more. Also people expect to find micros hidden inside or things or even made to look like something larger. Is there a reason you couldn't put a regular size cache inside your regular size hiding place? To me micro would be the best label and other would acceptable, while noting that it's a micro hidden in a larger container if you feel that more info than it being a micro is needed. Good luck.

I wouldn't put regular, people exepect to find swag in one that size and some people would be upset if they got out there and found only a log when they expected more. Also people expect to find micros hidden inside or things or even made to look like something larger. Is there a reason you couldn't put a regular size cache inside your regular size hiding place? To me micro would be the best label and other would acceptable, while noting that it's a micro hidden in a larger container if you feel that more info than it being a micro is needed. Good luck.

This is sound advice. I cache with my kids and of course they love to find swag. If we went out on a regular and found a micro they'd be dissappointed.

Edited by hoosier guy

I have hidden a several caches like that. some under my account and some under my daughter's. They are always "unknown", but in the description I let the seeker know that it is a log only hide. If there's no room for a pen/pencil/crayon/whatever, I'll point that out as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Other

I'd say other or micro.

If I put a bison tube in a small hole in a park bench, isn't it still a micro? even though the "object" holding it is much larger?

Yes it is a micro but the park bench is not the cache, the bison tube is.

Glue it in place and you have a convincing argument to call it other.

I cache with my kids and of course they love to find swag. If we went out on a regular and found a micor they'd be dissappointed.

I'm in the same boat - which is the main reason I asked the question. If I have a kid along, or am hoping to pass along a Travel Bug, I would think a regular cache would be a good target. And I don't want to disappoint the children. Remember, the children are our future!

I'd rate it as regular. The chief reason a cacher wants to know the size of the container is to get an idea as to what he is looking for. You can address the lack of space inside it on the page.

The listing page describes a small as being able to hold items. A regular is supposed to be bigger.

I can't imagine any regular cache as only being able to hold a logsheet.

IMHO

I'd rate it as regular. The chief reason a cacher wants to know the size of the container is to get an idea as to what he is looking for. You can address the lack of space inside it on the page.

I'll second that thought. If its rated a micro and I trip over a shoebox while looking for a bison tube I'm gonna curse the fool that threw their shoebox into the great outdoors. Tell me its a regular and I'll be looking for that shoebox not a bison tube.

Another great reason to select "other" since it's a combined function. Yes, I like to know what size object I should be looking to find. But, if I'm getting out of the car, I prefer to be able to tell the kids if this one is likely to have swag or if it's one that we'll just be signing.

Since your cache doesn't fit neatly into any of the main designations, put it into the "other" option and choose how much explanation you want to put into your cache description.

IMHO it is clearly a micro or other.

If it can't hold a pencil or anything other then the log sheet it can't be a regular.

Yes people can use the size in helping them find the cache, but people also use the size to determine if it is a good place to drop a TB.

To me the size listing is for the internal cache volume, not the external dimensions.

To me the size listing is for the internal cache volume, not the external dimensions.

And that, of course, is the crux of the issue. Because I bet you will very likely get somebody else to say:

To me the size listing is for the external dimensions of the cache, not the internal volume.

I'll probably list it as "other" and specify both its internal and external sizes on the listing page. Hopefully that will minimize the negative reactions.

And that, of course, is the crux of the issue. Because I bet you will very likely get somebody else to say:

To me the size listing is for the external dimensions of the cache, not the internal volume.

I'll probably list it as "other" and specify both its internal and external sizes on the listing page. Hopefully that will minimize the negative reactions.

The cache submission page also describes the cache sizes in terms of what it can hold, yet I also understand your desire to give helpful information about what size object they are looking for. One way this is done in my area, at least, is to use the Unspecified size, as Bittsen and others have suggested, and in the description (some people do still read it, at least when they can't find the cache), say something like "micro in a regular body".

I'll second that thought. If its rated a micro and I trip over a shoebox while looking for a bison tube I'm gonna curse the fool that threw their shoebox into the great outdoors. Tell me its a regular and I'll be looking for that shoebox not a bison tube.

Ah, but if the shoe box is filled with concrete with a bison tube's cap poking out of the bottom Then technically it is a micro because of containment volume.

Problem is, to many people cant wrap their brains around that because they are incapable of understanding the volume concept. CO and seeker.

How does the CO who wants to give an accurate assessment because they know that the volume is micro but the complete item is small or larger and knows that the seekers cant think outside the shoebox?

Other, or even unknown.

How do we compensate for the seeker who understands the concept and doesn't want to seek those micro volumes?

Ask the CO to use other or unknown.

I know I would be ticked if I told the kids we where looking for a large and it turned out to be a film canister glued into a knot hole of a tree (the tree is large) or a bison tube attached to a radiator cap placed on a radiator (rather large also). I might even miss out on some good hides with the kids because I ignore all of that COs hides based on the assumption that if they can't accurately assess 1 thick walled cache they cant accurately assess any cache size and I'm not likely to bring them back... if I bother to find it myself.

They understand that dad goes after micros and they know to expect nothing of them, ...they even expect larger caches to have garbage in them, but they still expect the ability to hold more than a log and pencil stub/shorty pen from anything bigger than a small, even if all they do is add to the cache.

The listing page describes a small as being able to hold items. A regular is supposed to be bigger.

IMHO

That was written assuming that something the size of a shoebox would be able to hold items. Of course there are exceptions to any guideline. In fact I've hidden micros with trade items. Does that make them a small or regular?

The primary reason we list sizes is so cachers know what they are looking for. If something is listed as a micro I'm likely to look in typical micro hiding spots and not places that could conceal a shoebox. So I stand by my opinion, it should be listed as a regular.

Edited by briansnat

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

isn't other synonomous with the "nano" size?

lots of people will filter it out if its "other"

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

isn't other synonomous with the "nano" size?

lots of people will filter it out if its "other"

It shouldn't be. A nano is a micro.

This is sound advice. I cache with my kids and of course they love to find swag. If we went out on a regular and found a micro they'd be dissappointed.

Mine too. My 2 1/2 year old loves to find treasure boxes. He will even ask "we going geocaching, mama?" One day he kept asking and I'd some bad luck with a few nothing to trade items so I searched for something that was at least a regular. A new one came up and it said it was an ammo can, so we drove pretty far out of our way to find it. Then it was 200 feet off (newbie who later adjusted their numbers) and took awhile to find. When we finally found it all it had was a log and a camera to take pictures. I had the hardest time explaining to him that he couldn't trade for the camera. It was one of the times I wished I'd opened it up before letting him spot it so I'd have known to toss some swag in for him. IMO if any size cache has a log only it needs to say that clearly in the discription.

Thoughts?

To ways to approach the "problem":

- What size am I looking for? --> Regular

- Can I trade swag or drop a TB / Coin? ---> Micro

Solution: Size: "Other", however this size is unofficial often used for nano caches.

It might be a good idea to make clear what the speciality about your container is to avoid disappointment.

GermanSailor

IMHO

That was written assuming that something the size of a shoebox would be able to hold items. Of course there are exceptions to any guideline. In fact I've hidden micros with trade items. Does that make them a small or regular?

The primary reason we list sizes is so cachers know what they are looking for. If something is listed as a micro I'm likely to look in typical micro hiding spots and not places that could conceal a shoebox. So I stand by my opinion, it should be listed as a regular.

If I found a shoebox I’m likely to take it out as trash, if I trip over a log, rock or a brick at GZ should I assume there is not a nano hidden on or in it? That would be silly. If this is the official standpoint than you are likely going to get a lot of people drilling holes in logs or large rocks (or even using natural crevices) only to glue a nano in there and call it a regular or large. That will make a lot of newbies and parents (and I’m sure others) frustrated. If a nano is drilled into large piece of wood for instance and I’m looking for a regular I’m not going to get down and inspect that wood for a tiny opening. Once I check to make sure it’s not actually a container I’m going to move on. So if I came back to it and discovered just a log I’m going to ignore every other hide by that person, because I can’t trust them not to be misleading. On the other hand if they had marked it as nano and I didn’t look well enough to find it, good for them. I expect to have to work harder for those.

I'd call it a micro.

I think I would to.

If the shoebox sized portion of the cache is some sort of camo, such as a log, fake fire hydrant, etc, which has a bison tube affixed to it somehow, then I would fall back on defining the physical container. In my example, the bison tube would, in my opinion, be a micro. Sticking it to something, even permanently, doesn't necessarily change the size of a cache. A blinkie, welded to a train locomotive, would not be a large, in my opinion.

On the other hand, if the shoebox sized thing is an actual container, that can hold swag, TBs, etc, and the bison tube is just a secondary container used to hold the logsheet, (like a film can hidden in an ammo can), then I would use the larger of the two containers to define the size.

From my experience, folks who hunt micros arrive at ground zero, eventually searching everywhere a micro could conceivably be, including those bits of detritus and other foreign objects which a micro might be adhered to.

I'd call it a micro.

I'd hate for somebody to drill a hole in a dead fallen tree and insert a logbook and a cork then try to call it a large.

There is a difference between a container and a hiding place. A hole in a tree would be a hiding place.

True but if you place a log book in it then cork it the tree becomes a container.

If you glue a bison tube into it it becomes container camo.

You have left more than one person with the impression that you believe that the size should be based on the permanent camo or overall size of the container regardless of it's capacity.

Riddle me this. If a container can only hold a scroll that is 0.5"w with a 1"d, what size is the container?

I'd call it a micro.

I'd hate for somebody to drill a hole in a dead fallen tree and insert a logbook and a cork then try to call it a large.

There is a difference between a container and a hiding place. A hole in a tree would be a hiding place.

True but if you place a log book in it then cork it the tree becomes a container.

If you glue a bison tube into it it becomes container camo.

You have left more than one person with the impression that you believe that the size should be based on the permanent camo or overall size of the container regardless of it's capacity.

Riddle me this. If a container can only hold a scroll that is 0.5"w with a 1"d, what size is the container?

micro.