Would this be a Traditional or Multi?

noahk17

I read in the type descriptions that a Traditional has exact coords, and a Multi can do offset coords.

Here is my dilemma: There is a big parking lot with lots of lamp-posts. Maybe 30-40 spread out over 100 sq feet. due to the parking lot having multiple levels. I want to hide my cache inside one of those lamp-posts, but want the coords to be the entrance of the parking lot, and the challenge to be "find the geocache inside one of the lamp posts" to increase the difficulty (1 star to 2 stars).

Does it have to be a Multi cache since it uses offset coords, or can I get away with a Traditional cache as long as the description makes it very clear what the cacher is looking for?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I read in the type descriptions that a Traditional has exact coords, and a Multi can do offset coords.

Here is my dilemma: There is a big parking lot with lots of lamp-posts. Maybe 30-40 spread out over 100 sq feet. due to the parking lot having multiple levels. I want to hide my cache inside one of those lamp-posts, but want the coords to be the entrance of the parking lot, and the challenge to be "find the geocache inside one of the lamp posts" to increase the difficulty (1 star to 2 stars).

Does it have to be a Multi cache since it uses offset coords, or can I get away with a Traditional cache as long as the description makes it very clear what the cacher is looking for?

Not sure if this is a getting started question but, I'd make it a Mystery cache with a 'puzzle' that tells you the exact lamp post and name it 'puzzling or not'. So if they didn't want to work out the puzzle they could always check 40 of them. But, people lifting 40 skirts in a small area is going to generate a lot of unwanted attention -

You're seriously going to make people look under 40 lamp posts?!? B)

Haha. Yeah. It's going to be part of my "The Amazing Geohunt" series of hides. Each one will take a theme from the reality show The Amazing Race and transform it into a neat Geocache find. The one described above would be a "Roadblock" :unsure:

I promise the FTF prize will be worth it! (Thinking new iPod nano) Then perhaps after a month or so, I can make visible the "Additional Waypoints" to give the cachers more specific coords.

Just a thought, anyways.

And there aren't actually any lamp-posts, that was just an example. And the parking lot is closer to 200 sq ft with 3 levels, I just don't want to give away too much information about the hide location, but suffice to say, it would be something hidden in plain sight, so it doesn't require any lifting or opening or anything, just a good geocacher eye.

The reason I posted here, is because I've never hidden a cache before, and I wanted to make sure everything is in order the first time I submit the challenge.

B) As described, if it showed up for my review, it would be called an unpublished listing.

It seems to fail to meet the standard of "using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions."

Parking coords, or entry coords + "look around" isn't geocaching.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#guide

"Offset caches are a variation on multi-caches. They are listed as a multi-cache when selecting a cache type. They are not found by simply going to some coordinates and finding a cache there. With the offset cache the published coordinates could be of an existing historical monument, plaque, or even a benchmark that you would like to have your cache hunter visit. At this spot, the hunter looks for numbers or information already appearing on the marker or on some part of the marker or site (geocachers never deface public or private property). The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers or information using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt."

So if the coords take you to the entrance to a parking lot where a distinct sign can be spotted/located, and the description on the cache page states... "The Geocache you are hunting is attached to one of the 10 pillars found in this parking lot", it wouldn't be published?

Edited by noahk17

So if the coords take you to the entrance to a parking lot where a distinct sign can be spotted/located, and the description on the cache page states... "The Geocache you are hunting is attached to one of the 10 pillars found in this parking lot", it wouldn't be published?

It's hard to review hypothetically.

Be sure to think about gps use, and the need for a set of accurate coordinates, some specific point referenced the coords. Perhaps coords to the sign itself, rather than to the parking lot would work.

At this spot, the hunter looks for numbers or information already appearing on the marker or on some part of the marker or site (geocachers never deface public or private property). The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers or information using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt."

Do you see the difference? It still sounds like when the cacher gets to your coordinates, they are not going to find any numbers or information that would lead them to the cache. i personally think that even true offset multis should be mysteries instead. A lot of people don't read cache pages unless they like mystery caches. If they see a green or yellow box they assume they need no info other than the coordinates in their gps to find the cache.

At this spot, the hunter looks for numbers or information already appearing on the marker or on some part of the marker or site (geocachers never deface public or private property). The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers or information using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt."

Do you see the difference? It still sounds like when the cacher gets to your coordinates, they are not going to find any numbers or information that would lead them to the cache. i personally think that even true offset multis should be mysteries instead. A lot of people don't read cache pages unless they like mystery caches. If they see a green or yellow box they assume they need no info other than the coordinates in their gps to find the cache.

I do see your point. Perhaps, I can make the coords exact, and have the challenge of the cache be on what "level" of the parking deck it is hidden on instead. That would be fair game, right? :)

Perhaps, I can make the coords exact, and have the challenge of the cache be on what "level" of the parking deck it is hidden on instead. That would be fair game, right? :D
IANAR, but that sounds fair to me. I've found a few caches where part of the challenge is determining the altitude of the container.
Perhaps, I can make the coords exact, and have the challenge of the cache be on what "level" of the parking deck it is hidden on instead. That would be fair game, right? :D
IANAR, but that sounds fair to me. I've found a few caches where part of the challenge is determining the altitude of the container.

Yep, me too... usually I know it's going to be at the top, but that's not always true! ;)

I want to hide my cache inside one of those lamp-posts, but want the coords to be the entrance of the parking lot, and the challenge to be "find the geocache inside one of the lamp posts" to increase the difficulty (1 star to 2 stars).

Best help: Don't hide it!

A LPC with deliberately bad coordinates is a bad idea! Is it such a good idea that geocachers look under 25 lamp post skirts in a crowded parking lot? Is this the kind of treasure hunting you like?

GermanSailor

I do see your point. Perhaps, I can make the coords exact, and have the challenge of the cache be on what "level" of the parking deck it is hidden on instead. That would be fair game, right? :D

Here is an idea. It would satisfy the "GPS use" section of the guidelines. At the posted coordinates hide a small container with a piece of paper inside. Explain on the paper that the cache is somewhere in the lot, giving as much or as little detail as you please.